Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Zumo XT Installation

I just installed the Zumo XT on my 2020 RT Limited. I've only been playing with it a few hours.

First, this is the easiest install of anything on this Spyder. Of course, I just came off installing SpyderPops Vision kit, and I don't own a lift. Off the floor, on the floor, off the floor, on the floor, I'm exhausted.
    Anyway. the XT replaces a Zumo 595 mounted to the Spyder using the BRP design support. I bought the BRP Support and 595 cradle installed with the Spyder
    The XT Cradle installs to the BRP support directly. Just unbolt the 595 cradle and replace it with the XT cradle.
    The XT is much brighter than the 595. I can see the GPS in full sunlight.
    I installed the BRP dealer and Spyder RT vehicle file. Both show up on the GPS.
    The polarity problem hasn't changed, the Spyder being reversed.

That's All For Now Folks.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’m so glad you pasted this, I just ordered my XT. I find both Genius Maps and Sysgic inadequate.

Questions -
    1) Did you wire to the accessory circuit behind the right panel I keep hearing about?
    2) Did you solder you connections, buy a connector, or use a circuit joiner device to wire this?
    3) How did you mount this physically? LaMonster sells a mount (not sure if it will work for a 2020), and I could probably piece something together from RAM. It also looks like they provide a RAM handlebar mount.
    4) I’d you wire it to power only or did you get adventurous and wire up to the sound system?

Thanks for being first on this!
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    I’m so glad you pasted this, I just ordered my XT. I find both Genius Maps and Sysgic inadequate.

Questions -
    1) Did you wire to the accessory circuit behind the right panel I keep hearing about?
    Yes, I wired it to the accessory circuit behind the right panel
    2) Did you solder you connections, buy a connector, or use a circuit joiner device to wire this?
    I purchased the bike with the BRP Garmin connector installed. I had a Garmin 590 from my old bike. I upgraded to the XT. There was a connector in place, but I had to solder the new wires to the existing wires from the connector. Take care, evidently BRP has the positive and negative terminals reversed for some reason.
    3) How did you mount this physically? LaMonster sells a mount (not sure if it will work for a 2020), and I could probably piece something together from RAM. It also looks like they provide a RAM handlebar mount.
    Physically, I used the BRP GPS mount that I had purchased with the Spyder. I unscrewed the Zumo 590 cradle from the BRP support, and then screwed the XT cradle to the same BRP support. The screw holes match identically. This allows me to adjust the angle of the GPS for optimum viewing in any condition of sunlight.
    The XT is pretty visible, even in direct sunlight. I'm not quite sure whether I prefer the traditional horizontal viewing, or vertical viewing. I'll play with it a little bit before I make up my mind. It can be changed by simply removing the four screws on the cradle, turning the cradle 90° and then re-installing the screws.

4) I’d you wire it to power only or did you get adventurous and wire up to the sound system?
    One of the big disappointments is that there's no way to directly wire the GPS to the sound system. You have to bluetooth the GPS to your helmet, or get Lamonsters bluetooth dongle and connect the GPS to the AUX input of the bike system. If you do that, you lose the ability to control the music from the bike, but you could always manage the music through the GPS, should you choose.

Thanks for being first on this!
    I hope this is helpful. Be sure to post so we know how you make out.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

One benefit of the Zumo XT is that you can use Base Camp to program routes on your computer and then download them into the GPS. You don't have to build routes on the little tiny screen of your smartphone.
    Yeah, I know Base Camp has issues, but it seems to be workable.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Would you post a few pictures of how it's mounted. You say you use the 590 mount. Can it be locked on like the 590?
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Here's a link you might find useful for working with BaseCamp: https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Here's a link you might find useful for working with BaseCamp: https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/.
    Thanks !!!!
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

I have made several attempt on trying to learn Basecamp and finally just gave up. I still have Mapsource (Basecamp predecessor) on my computer and to me, it's much easier to use for making a route. Just make sure when you save the route, save it in GPX format for a file extension. Then load it on the XT....works perfectly!

Spyder Garage

For peace of mind and safety of your new XT you say the XT's mounting cradle holes are the same as the 590, a Kradellock from Robert Becker Designs is the way I went five years ago: https://robertbeckerdesign.com/shop/...kradellock-659. I leave my 590 on the Spyder all the time except overnight in motel parking lots when on tour.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

They're different..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

A check with Becker at 916-955-9588 can confirm which, if either of his designs will/might fit the XT cradle.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Here is the XT mount. It does use the same RAM AMPS plate for the mount. Maybe he can work on one. I just sent him a note..
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

How does the XT uncouple from the cradle? I can't tell from the pics. I would assume Mr. Becker would jump on it.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

There is a European company that makes at XT lock. https://www.zumolock.com/index.php/e...lock-xt-detail . It allowed me to put in a US shipping address. I have a KradleLock for my 660, but this looks like a viable XT approach
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    How does the XT uncouple from the cradle? I can't tell from the pics. I would assume Mr. Becker would jump on it.
    It snaps in/out using the top button of the mount. Just got this email from Bob at Kradellock:

Jeff,

We are in the process of coming out with a new Kradellock that will work with the new XT. We will keep your information and let you know when it is available.

Bob

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

He's very responsive; at least was so when I first learned about Kradellock in '15 or so.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McClendons View Post
    There is a European company that makes at XT lock. https://www.zumolock.com/index.php/e...lock-xt-detail . It allowed me to put in a US shipping address. I have a KradleLock for my 660, but this looks like a viable XT approach
    $89 USD/shipped sounds good too. I have one on the way.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

How did you feed the wire down to the front truck and how did you wire it in? To the battery? Or somewhere else?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lot of locks are getting away from the barrel key lock since using a pen cap was mentioned that they can be opened.

Spyder Garage

If you want to use/learn basecamp there are some useful videos on YouTube br EZ Moto Tim.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McClendons View Post
    On their website the XT Lock without Ram is $74,00 with shipping. How much was that in American dollars ???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by biker01red View Post
    On their website the XT Lock without Ram is $74,00 with shipping. How much was that in American dollars ???
    I replied to the PM as well. I have not purchased one, as I am just considering an XT. Right now I have a 660 equivalant (BMW Navigator V) with Kradlelock. Troop above indicated they ordered one for $89. will be interesting to get their thoughts. Would expect the Kradelock will be out before too long as well,
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

$94/shipped $USD. They state it can take up to (3) weeks now with Covid situation. It mails via their > our postal service. I ordered on June 16. Even though I ordered the Euro one, I'm still on Kradelock's mailing list. Haven't heard anything yet..

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    $94/shipped $USD. They state it can take up to (3) weeks now with Covid situation. It mails via their > our postal service. I ordered on June 16. Even though I ordered the Euro one, I'm still on Kradelock's mailing list. Haven't heard anything yet..
    Please let us know once you have it. Looked pretty nice in their site.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Just passed thru US Customs in Chicago. Should it on Tuesday. I'll post up install/pix.

2022 RT Sea To Sky