Thread: Runs rough

Spyder Garage

Default Runs rough

Hey all,
    So I’m going to preface this with ‘I’m not very handy.’ I bought an 08 rs sm5 and it came with a two brothers exhaust, and a juice box already installed. I took it out yesterday and it was about 85 degrees. I had about 6 bars on the thermostat and I was in stop and go traffic, not going more than 35 mph. I was constantly switching gears. The bike seemed to hate 1, 2, and the low end of 3. It was backfiring and just didn’t sound right. Once i got up on the highway and let her rip it sounded totally fine. This is the first time I’ve experienced it backfiring and just generally sounding like crap. In my google searching the tuning of the juice box came up, and maybe the mixture is off. Am I on the right track? Is this something the dealer can adjust or can I do it myself? If anyone has any other basic suggestions I’m all for trying things myself first. Or if you think the juice box isn’t the issue I’m open to anything.

Thanks for the advice!
    Alyss

Spyder Garage

Act as if it didn’t have the juicebox carefully checklugs, wires, & filters Never got the hang of fine tuning needle valves to even attempt programming.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I'd leave the juice box alone, at least for now - there's lotsa other things it might be before you buy into that!! Check the vacuum hoses, they can look alright but if they are anything over a couple of years & not silicone, then when you bend them back on themselves you'll often find they have micro fractures that let air in.... and that (along with old plugs & leads, or partially blocked filters) can make them run rough & backfire a lot in the lower rev range & thru the lower gears, generally smoothing out once you get motoring along. But that'd probably be a good place to start!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Your bike has a 998 engine, are you sure you are revving it high enough before shifting in the lower gears ?? could be an issue with shift points.

johnv
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Spyder Garage

5500 rpms is the "happy" spot for the 990 twin engine.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tips so far! I did know the 998 engine had a sweet spot around 5500 rpms, so I won’t shift until I’m between 5-6. That was particularly problematic on the stretch of road I was on because I was right between gears, it was hot AF, and my bike has never really liked second gear. It tolerates it but it does much better in 3 or above.

I’ll start checking hoses!!