Spyder Garage

Default Buying a Spyder, the good, the bad, & the ugly!

Like the previous poster i'm going to buy a Spyder soon, probably a used one. i'm on the central Oregon coast and have seen several for sale. I would like to have one with the auto shift. I'm no stranger to two wheeled machines as I have had several. I'm an avid rider and raced M/X and cross country and now at 72 I still hit the track now and then. about the Spyder, I would like to know what to look for when shopping for a used bike. I know I want a spotless machine, but what about improvements made each year, what are some trouble things to look for, is one year better than another. any info would greatly be appreciated.
    THANKS
    Jay D.

Spyder Garage

Hello and welcome from wester New York. I can give you some insight on what I know. Starting in 2014 to the present they upgraded from a 998 twin with a 5 speed tranny to a 1330 triple with a 6 speed tranny. I have not ridden a 998 but from the many posts I have read the 1330 is much better. If you want to go with the 1330 motor then you have 2 choices...RT or F3. In 2018 they upgraded the dash to more of an electronic one using BRP connect. I do not have a machine with this dash but I have read where there were some issues with it. Hope this helps. I'm sure others will chime in with more detail.
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by badsix View Post
    Like the previous poster i'm going to buy a Spyder soon, probably a used one. i'm on the central Oregon coast and have seen several for sale. I would like to have one with the auto shift. I'm no stranger to two wheeled machines as I have had several. I'm an avid rider and raced M/X and cross country and now at 72 I still hit the track now and then. about the Spyder, I would like to know what to look for when shopping for a used bike. I know I want a spotless machine, but what about improvements made each year, what are some trouble things to look for, is one year better than another. any info would greatly be appreciated.
    THANKS
    Jay D.
    First you should really test a variety of models , they are pretty distinct in what they offer .... IMHO any Spyder with the V-twin is iffy.... BRP stopped using the V-twin in 2016 - WHY ? because the 1330 triple is a lot friendlier to owner / operators / doing maintenance and just plain rideability..... their Semi-auto trans., is to me a marvel at how it performs .... I drag raced my V-twin and my 1330 and no one with a Manual trans can match the semi-auto ...... I have seen quite a few real low-mileage bargain RT's lately, don't be afraid to have one shipped ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi JD,

At age 65 in 2015, I got my first and only motorcycle license thru DMV on a 2-wheeler. To me there was more upside in going for a 3-wheeler than a 2. I purposely waited for the 3-cylinder Rotex engine which arrived in the 2014 year, more ccs, more horsepower etc. I bought the RT Spyder Limited with the SE6 paddle shifter. With only almost 10K on it now, it has been flawless in every department. I know there have been too many upgrades over the years to delineate, but it seems to me that BRP has been influenced by some accessory manufacturers too. The quality of their products is superb. I thoroughly am enjoying mine. I know you will too.

Jerry

Spyder Garage

I found my 2017 F3 LTD in Virginia around November 2019 on Cycle Traders at a dealer that did not sell Cam Am's. I got it for an unbelievable price , almost half the price of a new one. It only had 900 miles on it and it was bone stock with no mods on it. It also was still under warranty for one more year (that is what you look for ) I had the bike shipped to my house for around $450.00 . All I can say is test ride the model you like, see if you are comfortable on it. And get it for a price you want. Happy hunting , if you need any information about Cam Am's., this forum is better then the dealers.

Spyder Garage

I found my 2019 with 1600 miles and 6 months old for 6k off of a new current model.
    They are out there. Mine was spotless. Parked next the same color and year, unless you turned them on and looked at the mileage, you couldn't tell.
    Many owners of these are pretty meticulous. It is an investment of a large amount of discretionary funds, and the tendency is to take care of them.
    The VTwin is an enormous amount of fun, but I describe it as hectic.
    The 3 cylinder is more refined, I think of it as tractor like. Just smooth, no big power peak, but a steady pull, and always at the ready.
    I just finished an 800 mile trip over a few days, and enjoyed every mile.
    The three cylinder is pretty easy to maintain, the twin a bit different, not necessarily harder. I think steering and ride are better on the later models. Radio and user display are much better on later models. Keep looking, you'll find one.

Spyder Garage

THANKS for the replies, and your all right I need to try some out. my nearest dealer is about 100 mi.. i'm going to contact them and see if I can try some out soon. so i'm going to be looking for a 2014 or newer i'd like to find a low mileage unit and one with a good passenger seat is a must. are aftermarket seats available? several years ago my wife and I and some friends took off on our bikes about a 350 + mile trip. we were riding a H/D Sportster and her seat was about 4" wide, needless to say the trip got old FAST.
    Jay D.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

...several years ago my wife and I and some friends took off on our bikes about a 350 + mile trip. we were riding a H/D Sportster and her seat was about 4" wide, needless to say the trip got old FAST.
    Jay D.
    A H-D Sundowner seat, at least on pre 04 models, would have made a comfortable trip!
    Good luck on your search.
    What is the annual rainfall in Coos Bay?
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Here's a link that lists the specifics of each model year of Spyders: https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/BRP.htm.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

SPORSTER its usually around 60" but its been less the last couple years this years winter was real mild. we are suppose to get an inch or so tomorrow. here you just never know it usually never gets cold only a couple mornings with light frost this year but I have seen a foot of snow. it keeps things green.
    Jay D.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Here's a link that lists the specifics of each model year of Spyders: https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/BRP.htm.
    THANKS FOR THE LINK just what I was looking for, there are so many models it hard to decide what I like. I have been really liking the 16-17 F-3 Limited. it would be advantageous to try and find a nice one with lost of extras. ive been checking out aftermarket add ons they are very expensive.
    Jay D.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Owner

Look and Ryde several Spyders of your choice.
    Check out the Spyder's For Sale on this Forum.
    Good Luck on Your Mission. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

THANKS FOR THE LINK just what I was looking for, there are so many models it hard to decide what I like. I have been really liking the 16-17 F-3 Limited. it would be advantageous to try and find a nice one with lost of extras. ive been checking out aftermarket add ons they are very expensive.
    Jay D.
    " badsix " ..... the bargain of the century look what " sduskin " is selling ... a 2014 RT-S with extra's, less than 16,000 miles for .....$ 10,000 ( asking price ) ....... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

THANKS for the replies, and your all right I need to try some out. my nearest dealer is about 100 mi.. i'm going to contact them and see if I can try some out soon. so i'm going to be looking for a 2014 or newer i'd like to find a low mileage unit and one with a good passenger seat is a must. are aftermarket seats available? several years ago my wife and I and some friends took off on our bikes about a 350 + mile trip. we were riding a H/D Sportster and her seat was about 4" wide, needless to say the trip got old FAST.
    Jay D.
    Laam can do whatever makes you and your SWMBO's booty happy. http://laamseats.com/
    But if you lean toward the RT-L I think you'll find the stock seat is pretty good, and as I hear, the comfort seat option is, well, comfortable.
    She
    Who
    Must
    Be
    Obeyed

Spyder Garage

Can anyone suggest best sources for shipping a Spyder from MO to NC? Never shipped a vehicle before. Thx.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What is the condition of the Spyder?
    If recently inspected/serviced, fly there, ride it home.
    If tires are old, vacuum lines cracked, etc., then arrange with MO dealer for service, before riding it home.

When I sold my first Sportster, the buyer flew from Phoenix to Burbank. I picked him up at the airport, helped him install saddlebags and he then rode it home, about 400 miles. It was in better than new condition and he was an instructor at MMI.

Otherwise, if you have a suitable hauling vehicle, rent/borrow a trailer.

Back to your original question, Google lists Haulingdepot.com for $399, coast to coast...just a comment, not a recommendation.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tbon View Post
    Can anyone suggest best sources for shipping a Spyder from MO to NC? Never shipped a vehicle before. Thx.
    I just google mapped Mt Pleasant to Springfield Mo .... shortest Highway route was 870 miles ..... could be done in a very long day , but two days is better ............. good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tbon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    What is the condition of the Spyder?
    If recently inspected/serviced, fly there, ride it home.
    If tires are old, vacuum lines cracked, etc., then arrange with MO dealer for service, before riding it home.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I just google mapped Mt Pleasant to Springfield Mo .... shortest Highway route was 870 miles ..... could be done in a very long day , but two days is better ............. good luck .... Mike
    Better yet, fly ME there & I'll ryde it to your place for you!

Not all that sure about getting me from South Oz to USA too soon tho, what with international travel being just a little restricted!

Oh well, it was a nice thought for just a second or two!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

If you do it I am sure several of us would meet up and ryde with you!
    2018 F3 , Full size brake pedal Black

Spyder Garage

You will find most shipping companies of motorcycles are really car companies. I know, I had my bike shipped. I was asked by a shipper if I had a 2x6 long enough if he shipped my bike, his trailer only had 2 ramps not three. Also you can try uship and pick a shipping company that ships motorcycles. (they may tell you how or what it is being shipped on. ) Mine finally came on a flat bed tow truck. If you use Uship make sure they have the correct equipmint to ship you bike. hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Jay D.
    My wife just traded her 2018 RTD for a 2020 RTD. She put 22,000 miles on in 21 months (including 6 months or winter) We had no issues with the bike. We installed a Baja Ron bar but otherwise stock. There are after market seats available. You may or may not need one. I am a big fan of Russell Day Long seats but other like the Ultimate.

I am still on two wheels (BMW R1200RT) so riding a Spyder is somewhat foreign to me yet. I rode my wife's 2018 maybe 200 miles while she owned it. I tend to be a bit of a spirited rider. The 2018 handled the curves decently. I have ridden the 2020 RTL about 50 miles to see handles in comparison. The 2020 handles much better. On the same stretch of curves, I could ride at least 10 MPH faster without the feeling of being throw off. Whatever you decide, ride several different models. They do handle differently.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray