Spyder Garage

Default Ok, so a final question involving the air bag on the 2016 F3-T

Ok, so I see posts everywhere explaining the air bag, etc. Even the label for max pressures during 1 up or 2. But I am not understanding said label.

SO what is the max pressure one can put in this air bag without it exploding?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a dash air gauge on my 2014 RTS along with my own design "air on demand air system"...When riding 2 up I set the static pressure at 80 lbs, which translates to 100 lbs setting still loaded...I often see the gauge fluctuate to 110 lbs when the bike dips and dives...Never a problem yet in two years...larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here are two video's of installing the Baker Air Wing aftermarket air ride system to a Spyder with only a manual air ride system...The second video shows the installer setting the air pressure as a starting point for riding 1 up and then riding 2 up...This is also a cheap fix for someone needing a compressor replacement that only has limited mechanical skills...larryd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H325EL9pNns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErHcj3TGqhY

Spyder Garage

Acdcking, my 2013 RT Ltd came with a label on it that was basically saying that the OE Airbag should never be inflated less than 10 psi or over 90psi, with a warning that running static pressures any lower than 10 psi during operation would damage the bag & that during operation the air bag pressure reached would be somewhat higher than the 90 psi max static inflation limit......

I've also encountered many similar air bag systems with similar min/max restrictions - except that while the min pressure is always something like 5-10 psi regardless of air bag size, the max pressure allowed varies in accordance with the volume & design of the bag.... altho basically, bigger air bags have higher max volumes!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I run mine @40psi for one up... my bag doesn't leak down.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I have a dash air gauge on my 2014 RTS along with my own design "air on demand air system"...When riding 2 up I set the static pressure at 80 lbs, which translates to 100 lbs setting still loaded...I often see the gauge fluctuate to 110 lbs when the bike dips and dives...Never a problem yet in two years...larryd
    Sure would like to see that!
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Sure would like to see that!
    My 2014 RTS had 2 air compressor failures...When the second one failed it was out of warranty...I was never happy with the constant off and on running of the factory set up...I replaced my factory compressor with the Viair that many are using...I put a dash air pressure gauge in place of the factory temp gauge...I rewired the hard/soft rocker switch to activate the compressor and the dump valve...I removed the leveling rod...I replaced all the push lock air fitting with compression type...I installed a cup under the air bag...https://www.supplyhouse.com/Fernco-Q...hHfD_BwE...And I recently added a connection to the air system that I can air up a low tire with my Viair "air on demand air system"...larryd

PS. If your ever next door riding in PA I'll gladly give you a garage tour and show you some nice riding areas in our part of the country...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    My 2014 RTS had 2 air compressor failures...When the second one failed it was out of warranty...I was never happy with the constant off and on running of the factory set up...I replaced my factory compressor with the Viair that many are using...I put a dash air pressure gauge in place of the factory temp gauge...I rewired the hard/soft rocker switch to activate the compressor and the dump valve...I removed the leveling rod...I replaced all the push lock air fitting with compression type...I installed a cup under the air bag...https://www.supplyhouse.com/Fernco-Q...hHfD_BwE...And I recently added a connection to the air system that I can air up a low tire with my Viair "air on demand air system"...larryd

PS. If your ever next door riding in PA I'll gladly give you a garage tour and show you some nice riding areas in our part of the country...larryd
    Thanx for the info. Invaluable. I ordered a small pump on eBay (pic) for $23 which is 5"x6"x1.75" --- small enough to mount on my F3T inside the left bag. The Plumbing won't be a problem and I can use the gauge on the pump itself. I will add plumbing to it for use as an actual tire inflator. I rarely ride 2 up so running it from the seat with a gauge is not an issue. I'll just stop on the side of the road to pump up. I run 40PSI normally for just me and my bag doesn't leak down for a good month. Thanks again for the info.

I'm currently in SC near Greenville. If and when I get back up to Youngstown OH I will take you up. Almost 3hrs from Heston but we could probably meet halfway. I have ridden extensively in PA (on a Valkyrie, Gl1800 and my F3T, mostly the northwest. I have several routes made which we frequent and you can look them over at http://www.rattlebars.com/MVSR/.
    tirepump.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Thanx for the info. Invaluable. I ordered a small pump on eBay (pic) for $23 which is 5"x6"x1.75" --- small enough to mount on my F3T inside the left bag. The Plumbing won't be a problem and I can use the gauge on the pump itself. I will add plumbing to it for use as an actual tire inflator. I rarely ride 2 up so running it from the seat with a gauge is not an issue. I'll just stop on the side of the road to pump up. I run 40PSI normally for just me and my bag doesn't leak down for a good month. Thanks again for the info.

I'm currently in SC near Greenville. If and when I get back up to Youngstown OH I will take you up. Almost 3hrs from Heston but we could probably meet halfway. I have ridden extensively in PA (on a Valkyrie, Gl1800 and my F3T, mostly the northwest. I have several routes made which we frequent and you can look them over at http://www.rattlebars.com/MVSR/.
    tirepump.jpg
    Looked your riding routes over and been to several of those places...

Here is one of my favorites...https://visitanf.com/kinzua-sky-walk...ge-state-park/

Maybe we can meet up there one day???

YOU HAVE A PM