Spyder Garage

Default 10k mile-stone...

2 years, 4 months, 5 days = 10,000 miles of smiles on my ST-S!
    10k miles.jpg

This is a big deal for me, especially considering my 1996 Virago has about 29k on the clock!
    Clearly, I am enjoying the ryde

Some observations...
    1. 112 fill-ups, average 29.9 mpg, just over $1,000 on premium fuel, according to Fuelly.
    2. 3 services performed by dealer (600, 4600 and 9400 miles), spent $300. Maybe I'll learn how to do my own oil changes this winter.
    3. Most recent service also required replacement of the valve cover gaskets. The front had a minor leak (per dealership), and both were replaced under BRP warranty. I didn't ask what it would have cost without warranty, but I have about 9 months remaining on my original 3-year coverage and believe it can be extended, so I will be looking into this.
    4. For a guy who's not especially mechanical and possibly dangerous with tools in his hands, I've managed to remove panels and mirrors a few times without breaking anything. Folks here have been very helpful in this area.
    5. I'm very satisfied with the V-twin engine and SE5 tranny.
    6. So many "wtf BRP" moments...like, "rear tire valve placement...seriously?"
    7. Farkle-itis is expensive!!! And the wish-list is never-ending. Cross of one thing and add 2, or more.
    8. I do need to prioritize adding some seat comfort if I'm ever going to make some of the rallies and meet some of y'all fine folks. Looking into air and gel options over the coming days.
    and...
    9. Y'all some seriously fine folks and I look forward to breaking quarantine and meeting some of you at a rally one day.

Thanks for listening!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

on your 10K and thank you for the write up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You got the picture; did you also observe a moment of silence for it? I know; crazy question, but here's why I asked. Back when I was just a lad of 17 a friend an I made fairly long ride on Honda CB350s. It covered approximately 1200 miles in 5 days. As we reached the crest of La Veta Pass in Colorado, I looked down just in time to see the odometer hit the 10K mark. I came to a screeching stop scaring the crap out of my buddy. He had whizzed right on by with me sitting on the shoulder of the road. When he returned to where I was, I had already gotten off the bike and dug my camera out for a picture. We had a moment of silence and I decided that should be a tradition on every bike I owned from that point forward. So every time since then when I see another 10K approaching I make an attempt to be some place "cool" to get a few good pictures and have that moment of silence. It's not always possible like if it happens in a city with congested traffic, but I still will pull in the clutch, let the motor idle down for a brief moment when it's not safe to stop. I have now observed 44 10K moments of silence since that day in the fall of 1971. Only one on our Spyder so far, but that will increase as my old weak knees and hips demand I do three wheels more often than two.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I still remember exactly where I was when my OLD Spyder hit 10,000 but not the NEW one. I'm lucky to be where I can ryde just about year-round, so now I'm closing in on 117,000 miles in 7 years, 4 months. And I guess it helps to be retired all that time, too.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    You got the picture; did you also observe a moment of silence for it? I know; crazy question, but here's why I asked.
    YES! I had ended a ride 2 days earlier at 9990, so knew it was coming. I gassed up and was heading to meet a friend for a ride to the NJ shore...was on I-95 doing about 80 and then safely pulled off to the shoulder, snapped the pic, paused to confirm it, and then went on my way with a grin under the helmet.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your 10k. Dale

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 10k

YES, 10K done and hopefully 100K + more. Enjoy your Ryde Time and always Ryde Safe. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing your 10K odometer personal moments. I’ve done the same thing, but only since I started ryding Spyders and without the screeching stops . I was near the Wooden Boat Museum, NY, along the St. Lawrence River on my RS, in the Black Hills on my RT, and near the Bodie Island lighthouse on the Outer Banks, NC, on my F3. Each is a special memory. I hope you have many more!!
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    Thanks for sharing your 10K odometer personal moments. I’ve done the same thing, but only since I started ryding Spyders and without the screeching stops . I was near the Wooden Boat Museum, NY, along the St. Lawrence River on my RS, in the Black Hills on my RT, and near the Bodie Island lighthouse on the Outer Banks, NC, on my F3. Each is a special memory. I hope you have many more!!
    yeah, that first screeching stop certainly raised the pucker factor. I've since learned to pay attention and be prepared for a more gentle & sane way.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)