Spyder Garage

Default New Ryker 900 owner!

I just picked up my first "motorbike" and just got it today! Super nervous, been riding around in my parking garage to get a hang of it. Am taking my trike MSF class next month.

One concern I had was when I was riding around, I smelt/saw a lot of smoke from under the "hood" area and glovebox - is this because it's brand new?

I installed K&N filter, and am waiting for my Two Brothers exhaust to get in.

Spyder Garage

The sweet smell of a brand new toy, nothing better!
    2018 F3 , Full size brake pedal Black

Spyder Garage

"a lot of smoke" What would you do if you had smoke coming from under the hood of a brand new car? Call the dealer and tell them to come and pick it up!!! Don't drive it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry L. View Post
    The sweet smell of a brand new toy, nothing better!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    "a lot of smoke" What would you do if you had smoke coming from under the hood of a brand new car? Call the dealer and tell them to come and pick it up!!! Don't drive it.
    Dealership said its residue burning from oils and other dusts. Just wanted to double check if anyone else had the issue when new.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The preservative burning off parts smells a little. I wouldn't think there should be too much smoke. You could always pull the top/front panel off (slides off easily) to make sure there aren't any leaks of fluid to cause excessive smoke. You're most likely fine.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hey 63, I too just bought my first cycle a couple of months ago @ 62 years, was a little nervous to, but I started on some slower back country roads, a couple of weeks later I tried the freeways... a couple of 100 miles later it’s a luv affair, as they say here “miles and smiles”. Enjoy

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

By the way, “NICE” looking ryde!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 63amg View Post
    Thanks!

Dealership said its residue burning from oils and other dusts. Just wanted to double check if anyone else had the issue when new.

~~~as a point of reference, when I picked up my 2020 Ryker Rally from the dealer I bought it from in Topeka Kansas this past March, there was only one mile on the odometer. I didn't have the same experience you had (smoke emanating from under the hood). That said, some weeks after riding it coming home I stopped at our cattle gate down on county road 318 and noticed some smoke coming from the right hand side where the motor is. Upon closer inspection I saw specs of oil on the bodywork

After I rode up to our cement driveway apron I opened the door where you check the motor oil level (dipstick) and saw oil dripping from the tube, under the cap. I then realized the last time I checked the motor oil level, I had forgotten to completely screw the dipstick in fully. IOW the dipstick cap was loose and by the time I made it back home from a spirited ride, oil was escaping and cramping my style=:-)

Obviously I was a total hoser but with quick thinking I cleaned up the carnage with paper toweling and got my spray degreaser bottle out (pump sprayer) and squirted the degreaser wherever I found oil had leaked, and it was fricking everywhere. This spray degreaser is water soluble so I turned the hose onto my stinking pile of mess

Long story short- I dodged a bullet. It all cleaned up like nothing happened. After checking the oil level (as per the factory instructions) I didn't fall below the upper oil level mark on the dipstick, so what oil leaked out, didn't amount to a hill of beans. I have an idea I'll probably do even dumber stuff to this trike before I'm through with it=:-)

In your situation, like Rob said, you're probably fine. The smoke you saw was likely a little bit of oil that spilt while the tech was topping it off, or some such. Nothing to be concerned with, so long as that's the end of it. Keep an eye on it and if it continues to smoke, then you may have cause for alarm but if it's done smoking, start enjoying your Ryker. I'm luvin the L out of mine

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    He was a very cautious man who never romped and played
    He never smoked, He never drank, Nor ever kissed a maid
    And when he up and passed away his insurance was denied...
    For since he hadn't lived, they claimed he never died

unga wunga adv
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

on your new Ryker. I like that helmet.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'd say someone got sloppy with some oil and didn't wipe it down afterwards. Smells, sure. They are to be expected, at first. But smoke... not so much. (like never).

If it was short lived and caused no issues, I wouldn't worry about it. But I'd mention it to the dealer.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...