Spyder Garage

Default Neutral at Stop Lights?

Just a quick question. I'm new to the Spyder community and had an observation and a solution that I wanted to confirm with y'all. I've been riding the Spyder for about 2 weeks now. I noticed when I stop at a stop light with the bike in gear, after a minute or so I'd smell what smelled like a clutch slipping. I decided when I do come to a stop light, I shift into neutral and wait for the light to change, then shift into first. Since doing this, I haven't noticed the smell. I looked in the owners manual but it really didn't give any information. Also, a quick search on this forum didn't indicate one way or the other (unless my search fu isn't). Is shifting into neutral when stopped the correct technique? Thanks...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ready2Retire View Post
    Just a quick question. I'm new to the Spyder community and had an observation and a solution that I wanted to confirm with y'all. I've been riding the Spyder for about 2 weeks now. I noticed when I stop at a stop light with the bike in gear, after a minute or so I'd smell what smelled like a clutch slipping. I decided when I do come to a stop light, I shift into neutral and wait for the light to change, then shift into first. Since doing this, I haven't noticed the smell. I looked in the owners manual but it really didn't give any information. Also, a quick search on this forum didn't indicate one way or the other (unless my search fu isn't). Is shifting into neutral when stopped the correct technique? Thanks...

John
    John, I have had my 2016 F3 Limited for 3 yrs now. Never shifted into N at stop, no smells, no problems. Can't say it is a known problem.
    Bob

Spyder Garage

One cycle at a stop light should not be a reason to go to neutral. Have not experienced smells associated with the clutch.

If I get stuck in a parking lot situation, with a long wait, then I will either go to neutral or shut it off.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's just not a good riding practice to put your bike in neutral. You should be ready to go if the light changes or someone behind you doesn't stop. Is your bike an SM6 or an SE6. I could see the manual clutch dragging if it needs bled. But the semi-auto shouldn't drag unless there is a problem. It is not normal.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Whatever you are smelling, its not the clutch. The Spyder has a wet clutch. You would not smell it burning as it would be in the oil and the clutch is not vented to let any smells out, all crankcase vapors go to the oil tank and PCV system. What you are likely smelling is the belt breaking in.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    It's just not a good riding practice to put your bike in neutral. You should be ready to go if the light changes or someone behind you doesn't stop. Is your bike an SM6 or an SE6. I could see the manual clutch dragging if it needs bled. But the semi-auto shouldn't drag unless there is a problem. It is not normal.
    X's 10 ..... this is a dangerous practice ..... something large can come at you from any direction and being able to move quickly is something you want to be able to do .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    That's a very good point Highwayman, I'd thought about that but you're right, it is probably more dangerous than I gave it credit for. It's the SE6.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    X's 10 ..... this is a dangerous practice ..... something large can come at you from any direction and being able to move quickly is something you want to be able to do .... Mike
    Ditto what I said above... Thanks Mike.

John
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Whatever you are smelling, its not the clutch. The Spyder has a wet clutch. You would not smell it burning as it would be in the oil and the clutch is not vented to let any smells out, all crankcase vapors go to the oil tank and PCV system. What you are likely smelling is the belt breaking in.
    That's one I hadn't considered. It could be the belt breaking in as the bike only has about 750 miles on it. When I bought it, it only had 370 miles on it. It's not a strong smell, more of a whiff or a hint. When I drive a manual vehicle, I got in the habit of shifting to neutral and releasing the clutch to save wear and tear on the throw out bearing. I guess that's apples to oranges though.

John
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Spyder Garage

Ready2retire If you were to go to a MSF rider training course they tell you always keep your bike in gear and always have an escape route. In case a cage does not stop in time you have a chance to get away. Always ride smart and ride safe. Have fun with your F3 LTD.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Weellll. the logical thinking is that you are stopped and the smell from your engine is now available to your nose when it's not while moving. At stop lights I will sometimes engage the parking brake on a steep incline. When I got my F3T, I made the mistake of going on my maiden voyage with a bunch of Harley guys and my Spyder caught the disease. Upon arriving home, my pants and shoes were covered in oil and the bike stunk. Took it back to the dealer and they found several bad seals which they supposedly fixed. Took 2 weeks ! After another week of riding, the problem came back only to be a fitting that was loose. Took another 2 weeks ! Meanwhile, all my under body trays got full of oil so back it went for a clean up. To make this germane, it stunk at lights until all the oil was dried, drained or cleaned from the under body and no more leaks were found.

(PS) I have never taken it back to the dealer again. Especially that one.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Neutral at stop lights........ never. I can take my foot off the brake with it in gear and it will not creep. 2019 F-3S.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver