Spyder Garage

Default Magic mirrors/pace maker

Here’s my question, I have received my magic mirrors and the first thing I read in the instructions is “caution for pace makers “. Well that’s me. Do you think it would be wise for me to have them on my mirrors? I personally think it would be far enough away from me once mounted. Comments please and thanks.

Also everyone stay safe.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clary View Post
    Here’s my question, I have received my magic mirrors and the first thing I read in the instructions is “caution for pace makers “. Well that’s me. Do you think it would be wise for me to have them on my mirrors? I personally think it would be far enough away from me once mounted. Comments please and thanks.

Also everyone stay safe.
    If were you I suggest you talk to your Doctor ....... what if someone here says yea no problem .... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd you die ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

For what it's worth, the Original Magic Mirror Mounts have a magnetic field that is effectively very much the same as the magnetc field put out by a microwave oven. They shouldn't be an issue for you once they're mounted on your Spyder, but you really don't want to carry the roll of magnets in your shirt-front pocket before or while you're installing them And I'd strongly advise against closely hugging your Spyder at/around the mirror level once they are installed! However, I do know of more than one 'pace-maker equipped' Spyder Ryder who not only ryde Spyders fitted with Magic Mirror Mounts, but who also fitted the mounts themselves.... altho I don't know what make or type of pace-maker any of them has....

That said, and as Mike said above, if you have ANY concerns at all about how the Magic Mirror Mounts might interact with your pace-maker, please talk to your Medical Practitioner/Pacemaker supplier & adhere to their advice.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have a pacemaker. Last year, I had magic mirrors put on my 2014. No one warned me about the pacemaker situation.

Fast forward...no incidents with my pacemaker in the year I have had the magic mirrors. Three electronic pacemaker checks, and no one has noted any interference causing my pacemaker to act adversely.

Fast forward...talk with your Cardiologist about it just to make sure. What works for me, may not work for you. Good advice BlueKnight.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default magnetic flux

Just a simple thought here: Have someone separate the magnets by a foot or 2 and then install them one at a time---- never handling a group of them at one time. I think the magnetic flux increases as more magnets are added to the stack.

BTW---- they are GREAT.
    Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 05-26-2020 at 10:48 AM. Reason: speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I Clary

It is not an electromagnet, which will lift a ton, no danger !!!

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Lol, but I can personally attest that they will lift a razor blade off the table and stick it into your hand...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoy2121 View Post
    I Clary

It is not an electromagnet, which will lift a ton, no danger !!!

FlyBoy2121
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Ijwulf

I meant these not an electromagnet, it's not dangerous. My english is not very good.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for the advice, I put them on my spyder this afternoon. What a difference.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for telling us how you ultimately went!

In the heat of getting problems sorted, doing that last bit often gets forgotten... ......and we are left hanging, never knowing how it all ended or getting any closure on the information loop.

So it is good to hear of your result! And I'm glad you are enjoying your Magic Mirror mounts!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Hi I am a nurse who has worked in the peri-op area getting patients ready for surgery. Magnets can be used to pause the pacer/defibulator but it has to be laid on the patient’s chest. I never saw any concern when the magnet was near the patient so I do not think having the magnets in the mirrors while you ride should be a problem. To be safe double check with your cardiologist who monitors your pacer. Hope this was helpful.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clary View Post
    Thanks to all for the advice, I put them on my spyder this afternoon. What a difference.
    They do make my Spyder go faster by creating a magnetic flux force field in front of the bike.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

May the force be with you,LOL

Spyder Garage

When my mirrors started loosening up after a couple iterations of remove & replace, I took the original spring clips out, squeezed the snot out of them with pliers, reinstalled them, and put my mirrors back on. Rock steady ever since, and zero cost.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    When my mirrors started loosening up after a couple iterations of remove & replace, I took the original spring clips out, squeezed the snot out of them with pliers, reinstalled them, and put my mirrors back on. Rock steady ever since, and zero cost.
    That will work for a while, and then you will be buying new parts because some thing snapped, and broke! The magic mirrors are a great addition to my ride, and makes taking the mirrors off for service a GREAT deal easyer! To each his own!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    They do make my Spyder go faster by creating a magnetic flux force field in front of the bike.
    And here I was, thinking that was coz of the ECU Upgrade....

Dammit!! I paid out good money for that upgrade!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    That will work for a while, and then you will be buying new parts because some thing snapped, and broke! The magic mirrors are a great addition to my ride, and makes taking the mirrors off for service a GREAT deal easyer! To each his own!
    .... If you alter the Spring to make them work , the additional amount of stress on the plastic pieces is IMHO going to cause those parts to Fail ..... Mike

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad this topic came up. I wear a blood glucose transmitter for my insulin pump. If I get my pump or transmitter too close to a strong magnet, I have to discard that sensor and start again. I had no problem with Magic Mirrors after they were installed, so my advice is 1) ask you doctor, 2) be careful during installation, or enlist the help of a friend, 3) Once they're on, be careful not to get too close.

A magnet's field decreases exponentially with distance, so even very strong magnets aren't effective after a foot or two.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    I'm glad this topic came up. I wear a blood glucose transmitter for my insulin pump. If I get my pump or transmitter too close to a strong magnet, I have to discard that sensor and start again. I had no problem with Magic Mirrors after they were installed, so my advice is 1) ask you doctor, 2) be careful during installation, or enlist the help of a friend, 3) Once they're on, be careful not to get too close.

A magnet's field decreases exponentially with distance, so even very strong magnets aren't effective after a foot or two.
    I designed a magnet set myself ..... and the magnets I had someone make use a steel cover to encase the rear and the sides ( basically a steel cup ) ... this only allows about 10% of the magnetic field to pass thru the rear...... this makes the magnetic field only go towards the metal plate that is attached to the Spyder body ...... Mike

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Really, anyone who doesn't install such a great and elegantly-simple mod like the Magic Mirror must find immense joy in beating the living snot out of their bike, LOL.

(Erm, I mean, "byke").
    Last edited by Peacekeeper6; 05-31-2020 at 11:31 PM. Reason: edit
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Magic Mirrors use Neodymium Magnets, most likely N45 or N52's which have a high Gauss Magnetic field. I run Magics on my 2019 but haven't tested the Gauss strength. The thing with Neos is that when stacked, the Gauss strength multiplies instead of adds, and this is what could cause interference with a pacemaker while they are still in a stack or near your Pacemaker. I experiment with permanent magnet based generators and use a variety of Neo's, some of a fairly large size and high power, so I do know they are to be handled carefully and kept away from electronic devices or magnetic devices like your credit cards.
    Knowledge is the accumulation and remembering data.
    Wisdom is the effective application of it.

[img]https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.png?
    2019 Spyder RT Limited , 2" brake pedal riser with wide pedal Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I know your plight all too well. My wife wears an Omnipod and a CGM. After the mistake of leaning up against the mirror once, and having to change both, she now stays well clear of the mirrors...Maybe that is why she rarely goes a step or two into my lab at the house.
    Knowledge is the accumulation and remembering data.
    Wisdom is the effective application of it.

[img]https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.png?
    2019 Spyder RT Limited , 2" brake pedal riser with wide pedal Phoenix Orange