Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What maps do you use?

Just wondering what the majority of you use for maps. I used google maps for routes in the Black Hills, but am limited to 10 waypoints. I have to put them in otherwise it tends to revert to using highways or the shortest route which defeats the purpose. We are looking to update the maps for the Deadwood 3 wheeler rally and I would like to have maps start and end in Deadwood to make it easier for those that might not by familiar with the area.
    It was suggested that we link a QR codes that could be scanned into maps to help with navigation so we will be working on that. We hope to be videoing most of the routes the next couple weeks in order to build a YouTube channel also.
    Thanks!
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I use a handful of the old plastic coated maps from gas stations or Jiffy Stores, but I don't hardly ever look at them. I usually know where I am going and the rest of the time, I don't care where I am going.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Rand McNally is my friend. There is a large and small size. The smaller size does not have the detail of the larger one.

For my local State, I buy the Gazeteer. It has more detail than you could ever want.

I bought a Garmin when we moved from AK to AR and never figured out how to use it. When it started sending me to the wrong town by the wrong route, I put it away.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've been using Garmin BaseCamp since I bought my Spyder. Yes, it has a steep learning curve but if one sticks with it one can create just about any kind of route to meet any need. Because Garmin's maps are proprietary and updated when they want there are sometimes disparities between the maps and the real world so when I am planning a tour I use both Google Maps and BaseCamp. For example, on routes I have seen North America City Navigator treat roads as fully paved when verifying with Google Maps satellite view I've found portions of the road in question unpaved.

IMO, if one is touring in an area where one wants to see the most interesting terrain and riding roads Butler Motorcycle Maps, https://www.butlermaps.com/, are worth their reasonable cost and they are printed on waterproof paper to boot.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Ive tried Garmin basecamp but way too much trouble,same with other online maps.What Im doing this year is using Butler and America Rides maps just to give me idea which roads I want to try out,then using regular atlas and city/state maps I lay out my trip.I write all this down along with notes about hotels and POI along the way.I put each days turn by turn on a small notepad and wife keeps track during the ride,I still use Gps but I enjoy planning my trip this way.I also plan rides based on trips others have done and described on sites like this.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    ...I put each days turn by turn on a small notepad and wife keeps track during the ride...
    It's great to have a navigator! My wife gladly gives me my liberty card but wants nothing to do with my touring adventures.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I've been using MyRouteApp (https://www.myrouteapp.com/) for 4 years.

MyRouteApp is the new generation of the old Tyre computer application that I used for many years to make my own route and generate all kind of KML, KMZ, GPX files for my truck GPS.

It is now a web site instead of a computer application and lets you define your route, use some already made and create group of friends.

They also have the MyRouteNav which is the iOS or Android application that connects to your MyRoute Account and lets you choose the route to navigate. You can also create or edits route whitin the app. And also simply choose an address and drive directly to that place selecting some settings (avoid highway, avoid ...).

The Navigation app lets you also download maps on your phone so you can use it without using your dataplan.
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner
    2016 F3T , Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I’ll have to look into that. Looking for something that would be easy for people to use if they wanted to.
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

MyRoute-app. Allows unlimited waypoints, custom routes, and is readable by Tom Tom and, Garmin.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Having used many different routing platforms over the years, I found myrouteapp.com to be far superior in ease of use, versatility, formatting, quick transfer to the GPS, etc.. I’ve used it for many years.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for bringing the MyRouteApp into the discussion. i think I will be looking into it.

Anybody know the cost in US $ ?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Thanks everyone for bringing the MyRouteApp into the discussion. i think I will be looking into it.

Anybody know the cost in US $ ?
    Just what I was going to ask. Might have to do the free trial thing.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Looks like the Gold plan would be about $33 per year.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Looks like the Gold plan would be about $33 per year.
    Thanks for that info. I think I’ll get a chance to get in touch with them on a rainy day forecast to be coming. I would like something that people could easily download for the Rally. Of course there will be maps available also for those that prefer to use them.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    Thanks for that info. I think I’ll get a chance to get in touch with them on a rainy day forecast to be coming. I would like something that people could easily download for the Rally. Of course there will be maps available also for those that prefer to use them.
    I can't remember what are the options when you are on the free access.

If you have the Gold, you can create route and download them in different format to share among others.

on my side, I have the gold + Navi which gives me possibilty to create, share and navigate (turn by turn indication).

Like others, I tried many apps available and this one is far better.
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner
    2016 F3T , Red

Spyder Garage

Am a former Harley rider and also have a Garmin Zumo. Use both Garmin Basecamp and Harley Ride Planner to create routes. Do not have to own a Harley to use Ride Planner.

Spyder Garage

I use Google Maps on my PC to build and research routes. Then when I am happy with them, I build the routes in Base Camp for loading to the Garmin.

A hint, if you build your routes in Google My Maps, you are no longer limited to 10 waypoints. Just 10 waypoints per layer and you can have 256 layers so I usually use a layer for each day of a trip with directions and waypoints from one overnight spot to the next.

Basecamp works fine once you learn how to edit in it. I still refuse to use it for research and planning. Google just has far more information and views.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

We did make a YouTube page, 605rides. We attach a google map link and I show the route that we will be taking on a map. Plan on adding several more this spring.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since we're bringing threads back from the dead, I guess I'll chime in. I've always used Google Maps. I tried a couple GPSs that didn't work for me. I bought a broken 660 then a brand new XT. No idea how the 660 worked as it, well, never worked. I couldn't get the XT to work as I wanted so I returned it to Garmin. My phone's waterproof and once I get a mount that works, I'll mount it back in between the handlebars where I can see it. It's a big phone and won't fit in the glovebox if it's plugged in.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sygic GPS Navigation. World Maps, World traffic plus more. Under $40 a year.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Curious what you wanted the Garmin to do that it would not.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Curious what you wanted the Garmin to do that it would not.
    I wanted to load a bunch of music tracks on it so I could listen to tunes. I wanted the nav to kick in and override the music for audible turns. The usual stuff. 1st XT had some internal issues so Garmin swapped it out. 2nd XT I guess worked as it should (although I had some issues with the tunage on the microSD card) but I couldn't figure out BaseCamp so Garmin allowed a return.

Could very well be I'm just not smart enough to work a dedicated GPS.

Spyder Garage

I use WAZE on my iPhone - excellent app. Tells you where the police are, hazards, accidents, etc. The downside is you need a phone mount on your Spyder.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Anywhere west of eastern Kansas to CA I generally know where I am so just use the XT for upcoming towns, roads/intersections and general info. Also warns me when speed limit changes or I'm over. Carry the phone in my jacket pocket and and check it on breaks or use google maps to check for hotels, local details if necessary. Don't like any distractions while riding. Music of the road and the engine is good enough.

Spyder Garage

Looked at the Myrouteapp thing for my area and the featured routes were all just freeways. Not much of a selling point.