Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Being seen

Spyder Garage

Agree with Peter Aawen. I rode to work in Houston traffic for 25 years (2 wheels). Averaged about 4 times a year driving a car. Rode in heat, cold, sun and rain. People thought I was crazy. The way I survived was "driving defensively". The key is EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED ! Expect everyone to pull over into your lane in front of you or into you or from a side street. If you expect it you're ready to react safely. You know where you are in relation to traffic and where your escape routes are. If you're not expecting it that's when you get into trouble. You panic and move over into another lane into someone or you brake and get hit from the rear. So ride like everyone is out to get you and then if they try, you're ready for it, you safely avoid them and no big deal other than getting pissed at them.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post
    Agree with the others on replacing the horn -- just haven't gotten around to it yet.

So people ahead of me can see me:
    - SpyderPops LED Bumpskid
    - SpyderPops Spyclops II LED

So people behind me can see me:
    - Brake Free Helmet Light

So people anywhere can see me:
    - SpyderPops Full View Turn Signals
    - Hi-Vis Jersey/Jacket (depending upon weather and temp)

And of course, so I can Google their license plate after they DON'T see me:
    - Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper

What Peter said is really the most important part: always assume the worst of the other drivers -- they'll rarely disappoint you...
    Curious: What do you do with the plate number?

Spyder Garage

Markubis, you are absolutely correct! I have installed the Slingmods fender LEDs also, one of the best aftermarket accessories you can buy! I feel much more visible with them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rakerrykerrider View Post
    Markubis, you are absolutely correct! I have installed the Slingmods fender LEDs also, one of the best aftermarket accessories you can buy! I feel much more visible with them.
    Agree...I recently installed the TricLED Fenderz LEDs (which add so much lighting up front day or night), the rear Run/Brake/Turn LEDs on my Givi bag brackets, AND a brake modulator. Very happy with the results of all of this.
    I will look into upgrading the horn as well.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

It only took about an hour to add another horn to the existing horn mount inside the left side panel on my 2014 RTL. Way better/louder sound now.(Hi and Lo horns) A little tricky to get the 2 horns to fit properly; but not a big deal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    The main reason they can not see us is they are looking at there PHONE.
    Unfortunately there’s a lot of truth to that statement
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    Agree with Peter Aawen. I rode to work in Houston traffic for 25 years (2 wheels). Averaged about 4 times a year driving a car. Rode in heat, cold, sun and rain. People thought I was crazy. The way I survived was "driving defensively". The key is EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED ! Expect everyone to pull over into your lane in front of you or into you or from a side street. If you expect it you're ready to react safely. You know where you are in relation to traffic and where your escape routes are. If you're not expecting it that's when you get into trouble. You panic and move over into another lane into someone or you brake and get hit from the rear. So ride like everyone is out to get you and then if they try, you're ready for it, you safely avoid them and no big deal other than getting pissed at them.
    Always be set for evasive action, use your eyes to continually sweep the road ahead and your sideview mirrors.
    I bit a pothole hard with the rear tire Saturday while out with the wife in the flat Illinois farm country, some cattle and a flooded farm field caught my eye and I tapped her leg, pointed, and gawked myself for a second and damnit there it was....I was only doing about 50 and with her on back I didn't what to go to hard left or right, or just slam on the binders so I chose the rear wheel to take the hit along with my L5 and L4, not a car around for miles or woods for deer to hide in and I got lulled into an easy ride, which we know really don't exist.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSpyder View Post
    Always be set for evasive action, use your eyes to continually sweep the road ahead and your sideview mirrors.
    I bit a pothole hard with the rear tire Saturday while out with the wife in the flat Illinois farm country, some cattle and a flooded farm field caught my eye and I tapped her leg, pointed, and gawked myself for a second and damnit there it was....I was only doing about 50 and with her on back I didn't what to go to hard left or right, or just slam on the binders so I chose the rear wheel to take the hit along with my L5 and L4, not a car around for miles or woods for deer to hide in and I got lulled into an easy ride, which we know really don't exist.
    Over in Boone County if you would have missed that pot hole, you would have hit the one next to it anyway. I think there's a fancy name for when the eyes see an object, but the brain does not register it. The brain is somewhere else. No not daydreaming.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSpyder View Post

I bit a pothole hard .
    Is that how you get revenge on them, ChicagoSpyder? Don’t you find you break your teeth? If I tried biting a pothole out here in Aus, I would probably fall in, and they would need an abseiling rescue crew to get me back out.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Until there are as many Spyder's and Motorcycles on the road as there are Cars and Trucks people will be pulling out in front of you, hitting you broadside and running into the back of you. It is a mental thing. Even though they are looking right at you they mentally block you out because they have been trained their whole life to look for a car and you are invisible to them. As many have said here before drive as if you are invisible. It may save your life someday!

No matter how bright your clothes are, how bright your lights are or how loud your horn is, be a defensive driver at all times. Don't piss people off with things out of the ordinary as they are always going to win. After all they have a much bigger hammer!

The above has work for me in my 69 years of riding M/C and Spyder's. That or I have been darn lucky. Just turned 80 April 7th. Looking forward to the next 80.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Solid lights do not catch as much attention as flashing.
    My last 3 street bikes had a flash to pass feature, which I used at intersections where a failure to yield seemed probable.
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

I tend to agree w/the drive/ride like you're invisible, because you are. I've had my share of bright hi-viz gear and still wear some of it occasionally, like yesterday on my way back from picking up my Vespa from the Gainesville Vespa dealer as that scoot was in to their mechanic to chase down a problem I couldn't resolve on my own. It was raining on and off so the better/drier easier to wear rain gear I have to don consists of a hi viz (yellow/green) Olympia jacket I've owned since 2006? Yet it still looks fairly new. Anyways, it's waterproof so I brought it to wear bringing the Scooter home

Normally though,while riding my 2020 Ryker Rally that riding uniform is a black leather jacket, my flat black dual sport full face helmet, black leather boots, black gloves and I'm usually attired in a pair of black denim pants, all of which along with my black Rally Ryker is anything but hi-viz. It's strictly my opinion but ive been riding motorcycles for the most part, day in and day out since 1975 and since that time have built up a way of riding that works for me, that also has kept me totally accident free while riding all of those years. Wait!, to be completely honest, we (wifey & I) were run off the road once coming up to a stop light in the 2nd lane of two left turning lanes getting off an interstate back in Michigan late 85'. Minor scrapes and bruises were the result from the van that didn't properly yield to us. despite this one instance, I consider myself (& my pillions) very fortunate through the years to have been able to ride and arrive safely Some might say by the grace of God

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    I replaced my horn with a better one. The default horn is a joke.

I also replaced the curved reflectors on the two front wheels with the led lights from slingmods. These alone are worth every penny. Not only do they increase visibility when turning, they are also lit up while the bike is running....giving a huge advantage for being seen from the front side a nd back.

https://www.slingmods.com/canam-ryke...nals?vehicle=4
    I have these too. They are very bright and work well to add visibility. you can also see the glow from the rear which helps since it's not a common sight to see. I also installed the brake light flasher from slingmods and think that helps when coming to a stop and having inattentive drivers behind you

Spyder Garage

9BFEA537-48EE-4C6C-8C3A-DD6AA8EE42B1.jpeg

Clearly your dealer believes load pipes save lives, and that installing aftermarket exhaust makes the dealer more money.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

jaherbst: "It is a mental thing. Even though they are looking right at you they mentally block you out because they have been trained their whole life to look for a car and you are invisible to them. "

I agree! IMO it is also a fear factor, with a bicycle or motorcycle they are not afraid that they will be hurt and therefore discount the danger and don't pay attention. On the other hand when they see a large truck not only is it more visible, but they know in the back of their mind, if they connect, they will come out the loser.
    2015 Spyder F3-S SE6 (pre-owned, new for me Feb'20. 1st Spyder, decades on 2 wheeler's.)

Spyder Garage

2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the great tips. Going for another demo ride today. If I buy, I can see an improved horn, improved lighting for front and rear (flashing brake light included).

Rick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't disagree headlight modulators are annoying, but they do as designed, get you noticed. Dale

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RickWB View Post
    Thanks for the great tips. Going for another demo ride today. If I buy, I can see an improved horn, improved lighting for front and rear (flashing brake light included).

Rick

~~~Rick, don't forget the insulated beverage cooler (linq) BRP offers, that fits behind the driver, where the pillion would sit. It'll keep your cerveza frio. Probably the most useful Ryker accessory

Best

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian" -Henry Ford
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by d.o.spyder-rts View Post
    I don't disagree headlight modulators are annoying, but they do as designed, get you noticed. Dale
    I have had headlight modulators on several bikes and I cut off the light sensor and replace it with a switch I mount on the left handle bar. I call it a light horn and use it near shopping centers and places where cars egress. Great for getting left lane bandits to move to the right.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Those things annoy the hell out of me and many others. Get brighter lights and a flashing stop light to keep from getting rear ended which happen more often than getting hit head on.

Jack
    Isn't that the idea behind the modulator! I've had them on a few bikes over the years and people see you and don't pull out in front of you.
    Bob

Spyder Garage

See post #17 above. I do agree that modulators do get other's attention. Just don't make them mad.

Under a similar situation, I had a driver try to run me off the road to teach me a "lesson."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have been riding motorcycles for over four decades now -health issues forced me to get a Spyder -but I am still learning and try to avoid idiot drivers every time I ride. It does not matter if you have hi-vis stuff, loud horns, loud pipe, if an idiot driver does not pay attention to driving or too busy posting FB, (s)he will not see you whether it's a car or a motorcycle.
    I just ride defensively, treat other drivers as idiots. BTW, I have loud horns and bright headlights on all my bikes.

Cheers and ryde safely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trong View Post
    I have been riding motorcycles for over four decades now -health issues forced me to get a Spyder -but I am still learning and try to avoid idiot drivers every time I ride. It does not matter if you have hi-vis stuff, loud horns, loud pipe, if an idiot driver does not pay attention to driving or too busy posting FB, (s)he will not see you whether it's a car or a motorcycle.
    I just ride defensively, treat other drivers as idiots. BTW, I have loud horns and bright headlights on all my bikes.

Cheers and ryde safely.
    I work as the Vehicle Garage Shift Supervisor for our local school district. The majority of MVA's we're involved in are rear-enders! How in the blazes can you not see a bright yellow, 8' wide 12' tall vehicle, with reflective tape all over it, and with flashing lights and stop signs? Ryding the Spyder (or driving any vehicle for that matter) I'm always on constant alert and always leave myself an out, especially in heavy traffic.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't argue against anything anybody posted here, but I'm surprised nobody made this one super-easy suggestion: RIDE WITH YOUR HEADLIGHTS ON "BRIGHT," I.E. "HIGH BEAM." It might be annoying to other drivers but if they're annoyed, at least they see you. This is recommended by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation: https://one.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/...ycle49-50.html
    2017 RTS , Blue