Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Do you think you are using a LOT of Brake fluid ????

For my `14RT, I seem to be adding brake fluid too often ( yes it's necessary ) ..... I have checked the at the calipers and also near the brake lines .... I can't find anywhere it loosing it ..... I did a brake fluid change last year, but this has been going on for quite awhile .....thanks ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

The only way I know of for brake fluid to go down is a leak, or it will go down as the brake pads wear. The fluid takes up the space of the worn pad. That being said I have never had to add fluid for brake pad wear. If it was from brake pad wear it should fill the master cylinder when you push the calipers back to replace the pads. (I'm talking about cars and trucks same principle). If you are adding on a regular basis look very closely for a leak. Have someone hold the brake peddle down and check every inch of the line from the master cylinder to every caliper. Good luck, let us know what you find.
    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I assume you have the master cylinder cap vents oriented correctly. How frequently are you having to add? Are you getting a brake failure code?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I assume you have the master cylinder cap vents oriented correctly. How frequently are you having to add? Are you getting a brake failure code?
    Caps ???? ..... how are they oriented ???? ....frequency ... more often than on any other Spyder I've owned .....thanks ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately ya been adding as well. Caps V slot in correct position (best I can) keep eye dropper special with the brake fluid. & rag on master cylinder if does leak from there. Been dry but still light comes on maybe 60~90 days. Seems mostly front. Pads good & recently replaced. Having other problems like shift arm Splines currently

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Having other problems like shift arm Splines currently
    Ditto shift arm and shift shaft splines.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Caps ???? ..... how are they oriented ???? ....
    As you sit on the bike with dead ahead 12 o'clock the cap vents are about at 5. When I unscrew the caps the vents are at 3 to remove them from the MC reservoir. If they are otherwise oriented they can leak but you'd see it all over the reservoir.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Pad wear or leaks. Only 2 possibilities. But you know that. So, not much help, I'm afraid...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Mike,

Have you checked the ABS control unit to see if there is where your leak maybe?
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default vent caps

As you sit on the bike with dead ahead 12 o'clock the cap vents are about at 5. When I unscrew the caps the vents are at 3 to remove them from the MC reservoir. If they are otherwise oriented they can leak but you'd see it all over the reservoir.
    Orientation of vent caps make no difference. The rubber boot under the cap isolates brake fluid from the cap and outside air. It is a sealed system. The air vent in the cap allow the bellows of the expand to follow the brake fluid level. If air was allowed into the system, you would have a lot of water in system as brake fluid absorbs moisture.

As far as leaking fluid, check for leaking by the VCM besides what others have mentioned.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderJerry View Post
    Orientation of vent caps make no difference. The rubber boot under the cap isolates brake fluid from the cap and outside air. It is a sealed system. The air vent in the cap allow the bellows of the expand to follow the brake fluid level...
    I beg your pardon. The brake system is not sealed and the vent in the diaphragm in the cap is there to prevent the diaphragm from expanding as the fluid level in the MC reservoir drops as pads wear. Yes, brake fluid is hygroscopic and that's partly why it is recommended the fluid be changed every two years. Look at pg 113 of your operator's guide and you see in the picture of the two diaphragms below the cap the picture on the right is what happens to the diaphragm if the V-slit does not function properly because the vent in the cap is clogged.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I remember reading on here several years ago that there were several people with 2014 RT's that had leaks at the bottom of the reservoirs...I also think that I remember that BRP had a updated part number for the replacement reservoirs...larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I beg your pardon. The brake system is not sealed and the vent in the diaphragm in the cap is there to prevent the diaphragm from expanding as the fluid level in the MC reservoir drops as pads wear. Yes, brake fluid is hygroscopic and that's partly why it is recommended the fluid be changed every two years. Look at pg 113 of your operator's guide and you see in the picture of the two diaphragms below the cap the picture on the right is what happens to the diaphragm if the V-slit does not function properly because the vent in the cap is clogged.
    You are very wrong, I am a mechanic(50 plus years) and I think you should take a closer look at the bellows under the cap. You will see that the Air vent only allows air in for the bellows to expand with fluid level.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

EF393514-AAE1-45BF-8159-76510767B6DE.jpg
    You are very wrong, I am a mechanic(50 plus years) and I think you should take a closer look at the bellows under the cap. You will see that the Air vent only allows air in for the bellows to expand with fluid level.
    Actually, JayBros is very right. Stay humble

Spyder Garage

Caps ???? ..... how are they oriented ???? ....frequency ... more often than on any other Spyder I've owned .....thanks ....Mike
    35:15 in this video for vent and V-slit orientation.

https://youtu.be/U_44e4oh-A0

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by allcd88 View Post
    35:15 in this video for vent and V-slit orientation.

https://youtu.be/U_44e4oh-A0
    I stand corrected. In all my years and training, I have never seen a brake system that can allow atmosphere air into the system. That being said, it is not a what I would consider a good thing and would certainly require brake fluid change every 2 years or sooner.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

As a high schooler in the late fifties I worked in a service station and remember seeing an occasional vehicle come in for a brake job with the diaphragm on the master cylinder cover sucked way out of shape from low fluid level, generally the result of leaking wheel cylinders. They weren't vented. With the exception of taking my 911 to driving school where a brake fluid flush was required as part of tech inspection every time, I don't think any of my cages have had fluid changed except at brake job time. Being an RTFM guy I just follow what the BRP manual writers say.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I stand corrected. In all my years and training, I have never seen a brake system that can allow atmosphere air into the system. That being said, it is not a what I would consider a good thing and would certainly require brake fluid change every 2 years or sooner.
    Agree fully.

Not sure exactly why they did it this way, maybe concerns for expansion from under body heat inadvertently applying the brakes. Truly though never considered it after that.

Even worse is I have seen water droplets within the cap threads after wet rides.

FWIW, I too, years ago expected a sealed system and was kind of surprised to see those V slits as vents.

Spyder Garage

For my `14RT, I seem to be adding brake fluid too often ( yes it's necessary ) ..... I have checked the at the calipers and also near the brake lines .... I can't find anywhere it loosing it ..... I did a brake fluid change last year, but this has been going on for quite awhile .....thanks ..... Mike
    As a suggestion, difficult to see, but take a look at the master cylinder area. With the master cylinder at the bottom of the vehicle, and so much debris gets thrown up into that area, possibly the master cylinder bore is leaking. Possibly statically it seems fine, but with use, and movement of the piston, it slowly weeps fluid onto the roads as you ride.

Just an idea, I am sure you will sort it out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    As a suggestion, difficult to see, but take a look at the master cylinder area. With the master cylinder at the bottom of the vehicle, and so much debris gets thrown up into that area, possibly the master cylinder bore is leaking. Possibly statically it seems fine, but with use, and movement of the piston, it slowly weeps fluid onto the roads as you ride.

Just an idea, I am sure you will sort it out.
    .... any leaking may occur - Only when brakes are in use ..... I will be checking on the things suggested by you and the others here .......Thanks All .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I for one will be curious to see how this turns out.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    Ditto shift arm and shift shaft splines.
    30BFD690-3CEF-456D-B9C7-059831C52F08.jpg438D47DD-AB36-4111-B9FC-9527911E8FD0.jpg only like 5 splines on either side gone & not even in line with each other but was culprit of downshift issues. Got it back yesterday

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If fluid is leaking wouldn’t the underneath be eaten up or really bad paint ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    If fluid is leaking wouldn’t the underneath be eaten up or really bad paint ?
    ... brake fluid is quite corrosive, but I don't think it can corrode metal .... paint very much so ..... And I haven't found the leak yet ....... I'm starting to think I don't really have a loss issue ...... Mike