Thread: 2020 RT project

Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT project

Ok, I think I can post:
    We have a 2020 RT. Stock bars are perfect for me; I have long arms. SpyderAnn, not so much. So, took a measurement of reduced reach bars. Not optimal. Then friends who got reduced reach bars confirmed what we thought: too close for comfort. So, the next idea was stock bars, add ROX risers. The handlebar top clamp fouls the riser. My friend Chris confirmed that F3 handlebar top clamp is the same bolt pattern. He bought one, put ROX risers on, boom! Fixed! $16 bucks! ROX risers are 125-175 a set. Had a set of F3T stock bars. Had a friend who had a similar issue. Fitted our bars to her bike. Gave them away in the spirit of testing. Fit perfectly. Then took delivery of our RT. Now I need bars. Posted up, and some nice folks sent me some to test. Today, I bolted up a set of F3T bars, and SpyderAnn is happy!
    We saw that they don’t fit on the internet. Well, they do in my garage! If you need new, less than risers. Plenty of used ones out there; lots of people swapped out the stock bars for one of the 5 U-Fit options. Until a couple of weeks ago, I had a set gathering dust. Check it out:
    1F8397B9-EA1E-40EA-A6D4-57BF014408AF.jpg
    Stock 2020 bars
    59B33BCB-1343-40B8-A425-4C416EB38885.jpg
    Compare
    DAC9F619-2783-4D1B-9374-ABDAB7314AC2.jpg
    Done!!
    Use a Allen socket, seat it properly. After 3 sets, no issues, just take your time. Enjoy!!
    Special thanks to CruzrJoe, Cowgirl Ann, and A0Lovey. All in, takes less than an hour to do.
    Last edited by cptjam; 05-25-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Just yesterday I changed the handlebars on my 2020 RT Limited. I replaced them with a set of OEM F3L handlebars. Now, I just need to go for a long ride and test them out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agree, the 'short reach' are a bit close, but better than the OEMs. Better be, they are not cheap. Up side for me, is that wife Millie is challenged in the reach department, so if and when she get her endorsement, short reach will be just about right for her and I am learning to work with the short reach, OEMs were making my shoulders ache a bit.

Spyder Garage

Jerry, Bill: thanks for posting. Quite the difference, right! We wanted to make sure nothing hit, no surprises. Our Beta testers report no problems, and so much cheaper than reduced reach bars, or the ROX risers. Really simple to do, just 8 bolts and a blanket. Take the grip assembly off first, then the bars. Swap the cable guides over, install bars, install grip assembly. Adjust to fit. Done!
    Last edited by cptjam; 05-25-2020 at 03:19 PM.
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

I think there is one more set of bars that are less reach than the F3 OEM bars (#3?) but more than the OEM RT bars, but don't quote me.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good of you to share, had I not already done the 'short reach', I may have gone your with your good tip saved a pocket full of money for some other farkles.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) cohoff's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a similar issue with the reach on my 2020 RT. I bought the short reach bars, way too close. I bought the ROX risers and F3 faceplate. That fix does not allow for much weight to be applied when mounting or dismounting. I was this ( ) close to ordering the $600 Helibars. I'm going to try your solution Joe. I will do a WTB post here on Spyderlovers and hope someone has a set of F3T bars to sell. Thank you Joe!
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZCACOIDILINIAKSKYMDMIMNMOMTNENVNMNCOHORPASDTNUTVA  WAWVWIWYmed.jpg

Spyder Garage

Ok, there are 5 available for the F3:
    Position 3, stock
    Short reach
    Long reach,
    Attitude
    Drag
    The drag and attitude (buckhorn) won’t fit the RT without risers. They hit the dash. I haven’t tried them yet. As I learn stuff, I’ll post stuff. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cohoff View Post
    I have a similar issue with the reach on my 2020 RT. I bought the short reach bars, way too close. I bought the ROX risers and F3 faceplate. That fix does not allow for much weight to be applied when mounting or dismounting. I was this ( ) close to ordering the $600 Helibars. I'm going to try your solution Joe. I will do a WTB post here on Spyderlovers and hope someone has a set of F3T bars to sell. Thank you Joe!
    I had the Rox Risers and my bars would slip down under weight. I drill one hole in the center of the caps till it went thru the handlebar and tapped threads and added small screws. think I used 6mm allen head bolts just long enough to go past the bars inside. worked great.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

New bikes are a learning experience.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Ok, there are 5 available for the F3:
    Position 3, stock
    Short reach
    Long reach,
    Are the long reach bars the standard bars on the 2020 RT?
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I believe so. I had never installed a set, but I can’t imagine they would make another set. Jerry, PM me your address. I need a beta tester. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    I believe so. I had never installed a set, but I can’t imagine they would make another set. Jerry, PM me your address. I need a beta tester. Joe
    PM sent
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

This sounds like the right solution for the handlebars - have you found a counterpart for extending the break peddle? When I did my test ride, that was the big issue for me. They said it was just a few bolts holding the peddle on, so an extension shouldn't be difficult to make.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    This sounds like the right solution for the handlebars - have you found a counterpart for extending the break peddle? When I did my test ride, that was the big issue for me. They said it was just a few bolts holding the peddle on, so an extension shouldn't be difficult to make.
    I heard Spyderpops was working on one, I’ve got long legs so no issues for me.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cohoff View Post

I also had this problem, but I just took some coarse grit sandpaper and roughed up the mating surfaces to give it some grip. That solved my problem. However, just to be extra safe I put some loctite on Rox riser where its gripped by the triple clamp and not the handlebar side.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What model ROX Risers are you using? The the ROX website they all appear to be of a different design that what your pictures indicate.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    What model ROX Risers are you using? The the ROX website they all appear to be of a different design that what your pictures indicate.
    Send a PM to KX5062, they installed Rox on Barbra’s 20 RT. The pictures in this thread are of F3 bars on the RT.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Rox risers

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    I used part# 1R-P2PPS10K black anodized, with the stock Spyder clamp on my 2020 RT. That brought them up and back just enough to suit me. For more adjustability an F3 top clamp could be used. I started a post with pictures titled Rox risers on 2020 RTL.

Spyder Garage

I did the same modification on my 2020 RTL, and also added the LED auxiliary light.

Spyder Garage

I have the risers in the garage, just waiting for the F3 top clamp to arrive. LED light kit will also be going on this weekend.
    [img]
    2020 RT Limited , Chaulk White

Spyder Garage

Ok, had some bad part numbers. The correct part number ( if you want new) is:
    And the price went to $109.99
    But, still a bargain, and still plenty of take off bars out there from F3T/LTD.
    went to the dealer in Spearfish, and the parts guy took the time to help straighten this out.
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

Default F3L handlebars

ISO Short reach handlebars. I need to move back, off the tank a bit. BRP does not have them listed as available. Wouldn't mind "gently" used but not damaged of course.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpdrDvr View Post
    ISO Short reach handlebars. I need to move back, off the tank a bit. BRP does not have them listed as available. Wouldn't mind "gently" used but not damaged of course.
    I bought mine on Amazon for $149.