Spyder Garage

Default Mounting a GoPro type camera to the RT

I'm looking for a way to mount a GoPro type (Akaso Brave 4) camera to the 2013RT-s in such a way to clear the windshield with the camera's view. I'd prefer not to mount it to my helmet since I'm always moving my head to check the mirror, RPM, gear, etc. I have the Lamonster Ram mount ring currently on the bike. Any ideas? Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Good luck with that. I mounted mine on top of the dash looking through the windshield. Videos are fine, just keep windshield clean.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DingerD View Post
    I'm looking for a way to mount a GoPro type (Akaso Brave 4) camera to the 2013RT-s in such a way to clear the windshield with the camera's view. I'd prefer not to mount it to my helmet since I'm always moving my head to check the mirror, RPM, gear, etc. I have the Lamonster Ram mount ring currently on the bike. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Docster View Post
    Good luck with that. I mounted mine on top of the dash looking through the windshield. Videos are fine, just keep windshield clean.
    I hear you, and I initially mounted my camera on the center of the dash shooting through the windshield. It was OK, but dirt would show up in some scenes until I cleaned up the windshield.
    Next, I mounted it off the left wind deflector just under the mirror. This worked better as far as keeping the picture clear.

But, and this is a large factor, BUT, for me, stylistically, the videos all sucked. Technically, they were fine, but all I ever got to see in the video was the yellow line down the middle of the road. It made for very boring video.

Eventually I mounted the camera on my helmet. Sure there is a little bobbing and weaving sometimes, but with care you can edit that out. Also, I can move my head to view scenes on the side. Understand also, the camera technology has improved with time, as well as my editing technique.

Here is the camera placed in the center of the dash:
    https://youtu.be/XVlq8d-9y_o

Here's the camera placed under the mirror:
    https://youtu.be/_DRiu2cZIws

I've posted this before on this site, but this is my latest, and you can see views from the side. This also has the best available camera. Steven Spielberg has nothing to worry about:
    https://youtu.be/u-QLas5bmTg
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a vid with GoPro Max behind the tinted Freedom Windshield. Let the windshield take the bugs and keep the camera nice and clean. Easier to mount as well. There are strong suction cup mounts but I wouldn't chance my camera to one.

2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default Mounting a GoPro type camera to the RT

I have a GoPro type camera (Akaso Brave 4) and I'm wondering if any of you have figured out how to mount the camera to the RT in such a way that it looks to the side or over the windshield. I'd rather not mount it on my helmet since my head is always moving to check mirrors, traffic, instruments, etc. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I use a suction cup mount and put it right on the windshield.
    My vice is passion for KISS.
    Oh, and food.

Current ride: 2019 Spyder RT-L in Phoenix Orange.

2019 RT-L , Phoenix Metallic Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You want to be able to reach the camera to start/stop. Some have remotes but they can be questionable and you may not get the video.

You could use a selfie tripod with 1/4-20 threaded hole at the bottom for a RAM ball and then, with other RAM components, mount it to the dash bracket and have it set to just beyond the outer edge of the windshield.

IMG_0738.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default Mounting a camera on the RT

I have a 2013RT-S and I'd like to ask if any of you have mounted a GoPro type camera (mine is an Akaso Brave 4) on the Spyder in such a way that it is above or to the side of the windshield. I'd prefer not to mount it to my helmet since my head is moving to check the mirrors, traffic, gauges, etc. Headed to the Black Hills in August!
    Thanks for the help.

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your time. I appreciate your help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I've posted this before on this site, but this is my latest, and you can see views from the side. This also has the best available camera. Steven Spielberg has nothing to worry about:
    https://youtu.be/u-QLas5bmTg
    Awesome vid, ThreeWheels!
    I used to live in Greenwich and have fond memories of trips up and around Bear Mtn and Storm King, 9W, Hunter and beyond.
    Was that Marcus Dairy or something similar up in Danbury?
    Now that I'm in central NJ, the Delaware Water Gap and Hawks Nest are typical long-day trips.

What editing software are you using?
    I'm just starting to get familiar with using my Cyclops camera, currently mounted on top of my mirror.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Awesome vid, ThreeWheels!
    What editing software are you using?
    I'm just starting to get familiar with using my Cyclops camera, currently mounted on top of my mirror.
    I'll give you more details by PM. I don't want to hijack this thread.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    But, and this is a large factor, BUT, for me, stylistically, the videos all sucked. Technically, they were fine, but all I ever got to see in the video was the yellow line down the middle of the road. It made for very boring video.
    This is the main reason I've never mounted my GoPro on my 2014 RTS. I had it on my 2013 RT, mounted on a short post just in front of the windshield. I had a mechanism to rotate the mount from side to side so the view would be more than just the boring straight ahead image. But turning the camera to the side to capture something interesting in time to actually capture the image was a real challenge. The other severe limitation, IMO, is the height of the camera above the pavement. Side to side shots were often limited in scope because the dash height of the Spyder is at or just below the top of guard rails and jersey bouncers. Nothing much more boring than a clear shot of a concrete barrier! In my experience the GoPro has been most successful in resurrecting the old style boring 8 mm home movies of the 50's!

Editing, severe editing, is vital to transform many minutes of raw video into a few seconds, or at most, a few minutes of truly interesting videos worth watching. And that editing is time consuming and challenging!

Be brave, get a video camera, and start shooting! But just know that is the easy part. Getting from there to a great video worth watching will be work, long hard work!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I'm just going to have Management do the camera work, might help her stay awake back there.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Ain't going anywhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Great set up! Could you supply product names and sources? Thank you.

Spyder Garage

I will get a hold of my son and see if he remembers. Got it about 12 years ago to mount an iPad to use in navigation in a Cessna. Believe it came from Sporty's but not sure. It's an iPad mount, but just switched out the ball.
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

YES I have the TackForm mount that will work great
    Call me 209-887-3283 email me at motorcycledave@mac.com this will mount on your ball mount most any place
    ising the long or shorter arm
    GoPro2.jpeg

Spyder Garage

Called "fat gecko". https://www.google.com/search?q=fat+...EEQsxh6BAgLEDE

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    Ain't going anywhere.
    Don't bet on it! Murphy will do his best to prove you wrong. I suggest you tether it just in case.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

YES I have the TackForm mount that will work great
    Call me 209-887-3283 email me at motorcycledave@mac.com this will mount on your ball mount most any place
    ising the long or shorter arm
    GoPro2.jpeg

Spyder Garage

Tremendous! Thank you for your time.

Spyder Garage

Your final video is great indeed but does the camera get in the way of your sideways view, traffic coming out from an off ramp on the right?
    2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thanks! Didn’t really notice it if I remember right. Setup allowed easy setup for different angles and views.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Depending on how the camera mounts, you could try mounting this GoPro mount extension. Then you could have the camera mounted behind the windshield but sticking out to one side. You would need a few other mounting adapters to get it pointing in the right direction.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B089X...b_b_asin_title
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red