Spyder Garage

Default 2017 F3 Ltd issues getting it 1st gear

I did a post a while about having an issue getting the bike in first gear. I am still having a problem!!
    I started my bike up , put it reverse and backed out of the garage put the bike in neutral with the brake on , I closed the door and put my jacket , helmet and gloves. Now the bike was running the whole time. I put the bike in reverse , release the brake and back out of the driveway . When I get in the street I stop and try to put the bike in first , i press the + and it stays in reverse. I shut the bike off , I restart the bike and the bike is in neutral . I press the + nothing, I am still in neutral, I try reverse and it goes in gear I try to get out of reverse and it stays in reverse , I try first, and it is still not going into first . I shut the bike again , it is in neutral , I try first and it goes in to first. Now mind you I am in the middle of the road while this is going on. Then when I start riding it shifts fine with no issue's. I am thinking there is an issue in the transmission , there is something not in the correct position when the bike is in put reverse and then put in to gear . Thoughts anyone ? (bike is still under warranty )
    Last edited by tntnj; 05-24-2020 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Spyder Garage

When the bike was in neutral, did you press the brake pedal before trying to shift into 1st. You can shift the bike from N to R without stepping on the brake pedal but you cannot go forward from N to 1st without stepping on the brake pedal. It's for your safety and don't ask me why BRP doesn't have the same safety lockout for reverse; I don't know.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

the brake was pressed I had the brakes on to stop the bike from rolling forward into the driveway.

Spyder Garage

As just a wild guess I suggest you consider having it checked for a defective or failing gear position sensor. I think that takes B.U.D.S. to check.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thank you I am calling Tuesday to have it checked . There service dept. were closed Monday

Spyder Garage

The shift levers have been failing on these bikes. My 18 f3L wouldn't shift in forward gears at times at 8k miles. Replaced under warranty.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Thank you JP I thought I may have forgot to have the brake pedal on. But when I thought about , I restarted the bike and my foot was on the pedal and would not go in to gear . If I can ask ,How long did they have the bike?

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a selector issue,the handle bar assy.buds can test it but has to be moving.before replacing anything do the whole remove and clean all earths.good battery,clean terminals..

Spyder Garage

I have an appointment on Sat 9am May 30 to get it checked I will report back on what was wrong.

Spyder Garage

Your oil level may be low. I had the same problem the first time I did an oil change. It said put in 5 quarts. I stopped reading there and went for a ryde. Once at the meeting place It would not shift into first. 5 quarts will just get it to min. It needs more to keep the tranny happy but not more than the full level. another question is what kind of oil do you have?
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I bought the F3 LTD with only 900 miles on it. I am thinking the oil that came from the factory / dealer. I now have 1900 miles on it. I checked the oil and it is fine. If the low oil was a problem I would think shifting while driving would be affected. The bike has no problems shifting while I am driving. I will remember when that when I do the oil change.to make sure I use the 6th quart to top off the oil.

Spyder Garage

I went to the dealer today to get the bike checked out for not shifting from reverse to first. The tech asked if my driveway was on a hill or a slant. No, but the street is , and that is where I have the problem most of the time. The tech said if the bike is not level there may be issues shifting from reverse to first. So now I have to go to the crown of the road (middle) instead of my front wheels in the gutter when i try to shift the bike.
    The shift position sensor was fine, he checked in Budds and also checked for updates. He did find a bracket on the right front fender that was installed backwards (the bolt loosened up 4 times on that bracket ) And it caused a bolt to loosen up on the fender and made the fender vibrate. So all will with the F3. (I did find out when I changed to a half helmet, the windshield is too small) The way I found out was getting pelted with bugs on my forehead and face. They hurt.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntnj View Post
    I went to the dealer today to get the bike checked out for not shifting from reverse to first. The tech asked if my driveway was on a hill or a slant. No, but the street is , and that is where I have the problem most of the time. The tech said if the bike is not level there may be issues shifting from reverse to first. So now I have to go to the crown of the road (middle) instead of my front wheels in the gutter when i try to shift the bike.
    The shift position sensor was fine, he checked in Budds and also checked for updates. He did find a bracket on the right front fender that was installed backwards (the bolt loosened up 4 times on that bracket ) And it caused a bolt to loosen up on the fender and made the fender vibrate. So all will with the F3. (I did find out when I changed to a half helmet, the windshield is too small) The way I found out was getting pelted with bugs on my forehead and face. They hurt.
    It seem strange that brp makes a machine that needz to be on flat road to change gears.sounds like a lame exscuse but hey been wrong plenty of times before.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check for codes on your gauge panel display.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

They checked for codes . It was clear. It happened once while I was getting gas and all the other times after I backed out of the driveway. I back put to the center of the road now and it goes into gear.no problem.

Spyder Garage

Hello tntnj... I am a new here and to Spyders; but if a $20K bike must be on a flat area to shift into 1st... it is broken.
    Based on that being a "rule" I guess there are no Spyder dealerships in San Francisco? ;-)

Could this be the issue? Assuming you have a SE.
    This what the Owners Guide says on P.134...

Will not Shift into Neutral(SE6 Model)
    If the gearbox cannot shift into neutral when vehicle is not moving:
    1. The engine speed will be automatically increased to approximately
    1300 RPM then it will be brought back to idle speed.
    2. If it does not work, retry pressing downshift button.

You do not want to end up here...
    Will not Shift (SE6 Model)?
    Have your vehicle transported to the nearest Can-Am roadster dealer.

I think Stu hit the nail on the head. You can call and talk with a Can Am tech to sort this out. The dealer tech may be correct about the possible issues; but he still needs to fix the problem.

I am driving 300 miles next week to pick up a NEW 2017 F3 Limited (SE6); and then ride it 300 miles back home. I hope the odds are it will get me there?

Spyder Garage

I am a little taken back at what the tech said , my driveway is almost flat. The bike has less problems going in to gear . But I still have to press several to get the bike out of reverse in my driveway , but when I am going forward the bike shifts every time. If the bike does not throw a code a tech can not see what is happening to the bike. I am at the mercy of the dealer

Spyder Garage

That transmission should shift out of reverse into first regardless of the angle of the surface the Spyder is sitting on so long as your foot is on the brake pedal which you say it is. I suggest the next time it happens take a video of the problem with your phone. Then take the bike to the dealership and ask that they open a case with BRP and get the problem fixed. If they are reluctant to open a case, which they should not be, contact BRPCare at BRP.care@brp.com or call at 888-272-9222, politely and completely explain the problem and the reluctance of the dealership to open a case and ask them to do so. They should be more than willing to do so.

Regarding the engine oil level, look at pg 120 of your operator's guide for the instructions if the oil level is between the min and max marks on the dipstick. If it is between the marks you do NOT add oil. Unlike the V-twin engines that are very sensitive to oil level and shifting, if the bike is on level ground and the oil level reading is between the min and max marks the transmission will shift properly with no codes and no failure to shift. If you want to be anal about it when changing your oil and filter, put in the five qt and after the engine comes up to full operating temperature you can add oil, I suggest 2 oz at a time until it gets to the middle of the range between the min and max marks, and quit while you're ahead rather than risk overfilling. FWIW, 6 oz puts it in the middle of my dipstick and I quit adding at that point. I have had a dealership overfill it.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

drol343 The problem I am still having is intermittent. And I am home when it happens. It happened again yesterday, while in reverse I had to press the + about a dozen times to get to first. While driving there has never been a problem. It shifts every time .You should have no problem driving your new F3 home (congrats on the F3). I have read that there are a few F3s having the same shifting problems.
    Jaybros I will video the problem . I did once to show the dealer, but it was kinda of choppy . I dont know if I would be able to show it on here, maybe Paul could PM me to let know .

Spyder Garage

Looking back I saw an old post by Blueknight He had an intermittent problem with his paddle shifter .
    I am going to call the dealer for another look at the shifter paddle or open a case with BRP.

Spyder Garage

Today I opened a case with BRP for the paddle shifter. They got back to me in less than 12 hours.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-28-2023 at 07:28 PM. Reason: then (a time past) - than (the other option) ;-)