Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Looks like upgraded bearings will be a 10k mile maintenance item. Didn't really look, are their two sets of bearings in the Lamonster roller?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Looks like upgraded bearings will be a 10k mile maintenance item. Didn't really look, are their two sets of bearings in the Lamonster roller?
    I'm pretty sure it is a 2 bearing set-up same as Doc's, just 2 different RPM rated bearings.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by whitedog43 View Post
    in reading all these posts, has anyone had any problems with the smooth spyder roller, or have any knowledge of such?
    Had one on the 2013RT I had. It was still in good shape when I sold it at something like 20k to 25k. The last time I looked the one on my 2014 RTS was rolling good at over 32,000 miles.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I asked the other day if there has been any bearing or roller problems with Smoothspyder tensioner. No one has ever come back.
    I replied back on your post the other day...

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...92#post1518292

Spyder Garage

My 2018 F3s came with the tensioner on it also.

Spyder Garage

I took my damaged Doc blue roller apart today to examine the bearings inside. I removed the metal side shields and can understand why these fail.
    all of the grease inside is dark and dried out. There are no numbers anywhere on this bearing

T.P.

Spyder Garage

HANG ON Everybody! We have a bearing issue concerning the called out SKF 23Y196 https://www.grainger.com/product/SKF...Bearing-23Y196

Just picked up the above bearings this morning and got another Lamonster roller this afternoon. the issue is that the above bearing has a 15mm bore and the new Lamonster roller bearing has a 5/8 bore.

The other issue, So looking at the stuff included with the Lamonster roller and parts from Docs set up, I think we are looking at a couple bucks at the hardware store to convert with no drilling the arm.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

My 2018 RTL did not come with idler ,i installed the brp one .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    HANG ON Everybody! We have a bearing issue concerning the called out SKF 23Y196 https://www.grainger.com/product/SKF...Bearing-23Y196

Just picked up the above bearings this morning and got another Lamonster roller this afternoon. the issue is that the above bearing has a 15mm bore and the new Lamonster roller bearing has a 5/8 bore.

The other issue, So looking at the stuff included with the Lamonster roller and parts from Docs set up, I think we are looking at a couple bucks at the hardware store to convert with no drilling the arm.

T.P.
    Are you saying there is a problem with the new bearing in Lamonster's latest tensioner? If so I am removing mine and forget a tensioner.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Are you saying there is a problem with the new bearing in Lamonster's latest tensioner? If so I am removing mine and forget a tensioner.
    Keep it stupid, simple! How many miles did you ride with out one and did you really have a bad vibration or was you just keeping up with the jones? Possibly just a belt adjustment could make your ride as smooth as you have it now, and it would break down when you don't expect it! There's no problem with any of them, you just have to check them to see if they need to be changed out!!!! Bearings do not last for ever, they have to be checked! Think about every thing that little wheel down there go's threw and what it's doing! If I had one on my bike it would be checked as much as the oil!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

NO that's not what I am saying. There is nothing wrong with the LAMONSTER roller or tensioner.

T.P.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    NO that's not what I am saying. There is nothing wrong with the LAMONSTER roller or tensioner.

T.P.
    I miss understood you. I had a 2015 RT and had one of Dr's tensioner on it and had about 25,000 miles on it with no problem. I took it off and was going to install it on my 2019 RT. l did notice the roller was showing wear. The bearing seemed okay.. I decided to purchase the one from Lamonster with the new roller. I do have my belt about perfect for adjustment and did not think I had any vibration. After installing the new tensioner I do feel that it is a little smoother. I though if there was a problem I was just going to remove it but I am not going to. I will check it more often. Thanks for coming back to me.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Reviving this thread for clarification. I have about 7K miles on my Lamonster roller, of which about 3K miles are 75+ mph freeway speeds from a couple of trips. Should my roller should be good for another season, or would a $50 expenditure for a new one be prudent? Thoughts ?

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I replaced the roller with a timing belt pulley from a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The logic being the pulley is a larger diameter, it will turn slower than the original. It has a smooth, wide surface so it doesn't whine. It has a large, high quality bearing that is designed to operate in a harsh environment. Been running it for 8,000 miles with no issues.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    I replaced the roller with a timing belt pulley from a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. The logic being the pulley is a larger diameter, it will turn slower than the original. It has a smooth, wide surface so it doesn't whine. It has a large, high quality bearing that is designed to operate in a harsh environment. Been running it for 8,000 miles with no issues.
    Ok ... You have a link/part # for this? I'm open to all ideas as it will be a winter/storage project. Thanks

$32 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...cVKJ4B4U2Gtqon

$13 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...cVKJ4B4U2Gtqon

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Ok ... You have a link/part # for this? I'm open to all ideas as it will be a winter/storage project. Thanks
    I don't have an exact part number. Just order a timing belt pulley for a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe with a 2.7 Liter engine. I used the one that came off my car when I changed the timing belt and pulley. My used pulley was in very good shape. The hole in the center of the pulley is larger than the screw diameter, so I added a couple of flat washers and a lock washer to hold it in place. If my memory is correct, the original screw is M6 and the hole in the pulley is 8 mm. My plan was to try it out and come back later to put in a larger screw and drill out the damper arm for the screw. It's been working so well I just didn't get around to it. I'll do it this fall. You will also have to use a different length screw and stack up some flat washers as a spacer. Sorry I don't have pictures or more written detail like I usually do, but this is not a completed project. It isn't plug and play, but if you have some basic mechanical skills, you can do it.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some info on Rock Auto on tensioners

https://www.rockauto.com/genImages/64/BeltTensFail.html

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I don't use a vibration dampener. But if I did, I'd try to go with as big a roller as I could get. Reducing RPM would go a long way towards longevity and a problem free device. I kind of liked the idea of adding O-Rings to the roller. Does anyone know how that approach worked? Not sure if O-Rings could stand up to the abuse. But there are a good number of silicone compounds making for very tough O-Rings out there. Swapping out O-Rings, if necessary, might be less expensive than the complete roller. And would add just a bit more diameter reducing RPM as well.
    Instead of o-ring, I used a piece of a bike tube on top of the brp tensioner roller. Glued over the sanded (and scratched with my dremmel) with extra strong contact glue. Still holding great after a few thousands km. Ribbed belt quiet, no noise what so ever.
    (Tube size 27 x 1-1/4 .)

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

https://www.slingmods.com/can-am-spy...tras?vehicle=1 how about this one?

Pro's and cons please i installed this on my 2012 Spyder RT Limited and i don't need a belt destroyed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sampi1099 View Post
    https://www.slingmods.com/can-am-spy...tras?vehicle=1 how about this one?

Pro's and cons please i installed this on my 2012 Spyder RT Limited and i don't need a belt destroyed.
    What no comment on this item i installed?

Spyder Garage

Cool out of stock

That roller has a smallish diameter. Like the one I have (Doc's) I'm looking to replace the roller with a larger one with better bearings. Lamonsters kit has a larger roller---- I think it's better. Besides the slingmods is out of stock.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sampi1099 View Post
    What no comment on this item i installed?
    I have a couple items made by that company, and they are very nice. They also offer 1st rate service. I'm guessing the reason you're not getting any replies is that their is no real info on the roller itself. They are showing available at the MFR's site. They are very helpful, email/call them for info.
    https://spyderextras.com/

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    That roller has a smallish diameter. Like the one I have (Doc's) I'm looking to replace the roller with a larger one with better bearings. Lamonsters kit has a larger roller---- I think it's better. Besides the slingmods is out of stock.
    Yes it does have the smaller roller plus i will be exchanging it with the bigger roller from Lamonsters kit. Plus i don't want to destroy a belt.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Look at this one...2 year warranty on roller & bearings...Plus he's a sponsor here...

https://www.smoothspyder.com/belt-tensioners/

Spyder Garage

I have Doc's idler on my 2014 RT and it's working fine after about 12K miles. It's pretty easy to check the roller without removing any plastic. You can reach up to push it away from the belt and spin the roller with your other hand. Any looseness or noise of a failing bearing can be heard or felt. I will continue to use it and just check on the condition occasionally.