Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

We need to figure out how to fit Lamonsters roller assembly to Docs assembly, Because the blue and the white roller are only rated to 8000 rpm and we exceed that, those won't work long.
    The bearings in the Lamonster roller are rated to 12,000 rpm and looks like our best bet.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

If you still have a "Roadster Renovation Belt tensioner installed on your Spyder, I would advise you remove it and put a different brand completely. His failed on me last fall and I had to replace my belt because it was damaged very badly. I was lucky to get home from the SITH Rally.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

The Lamonster brand is Molibus and the side shield stamp is 6202RS greased mine not much in there.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

A word about Sealed Bearings: Grease as we all know is used to lubricate Sealed Bearings. These bearings are not "packed" with grease like open bearings (like in a tapered wheel bearing). There is only enough grease to provide lubrication. The seals keep the grease in and the dirt out. Grease also acts as on insulator. If a high speed Sealed Bearing has too much grease, it will overheat. The small amount of grease is by design.

Another issue is mixing greases. If you add more grease to a Sealed Bearing without cleaning out the original grease completely, you may induce a failure. The carrier compounds in greases are not always compatible. When they mix they may react by dissolving each other or drying and turning into a concrete-like substance.

More is not always better.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

I shoulda sed extricate the old grease, clean and repack, but not full - allow room for expansion. I did this when I had a machine repair biz, but the bearings I was dealing with revolved much slower than those on the belt tensioner. So it might be my idea does not apply after all.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    A word about Sealed Bearings: Grease as we all know is used to lubricate Sealed Bearings. These bearings are not "packed" with grease like open bearings (like in a tapered wheel bearing). There is only enough grease to provide lubrication. The seals keep the grease in and the dirt out. Grease also acts as on insulator. If a high speed Sealed Bearing has too much grease, it will overheat. The small amount of grease is by design.

Another issue is mixing greases. If you add more grease to a Sealed Bearing without cleaning out the original grease completely, you may induce a failure. The carrier compounds in greases are not always compatible. When they mix they may react by dissolving each other or drying and turning into a concrete-like substance.

More is not always better.
    Good post Grandpot, and talking about to much grease and overheating I've seen the seals blowout under that condition, and then it's just a matter of time.

I've always been a fan of SKF bearings, and the good news for us Spyder owners with the belt tensioner is that the SKF bearing is rated for 28,000 RPM , specs at the Grainger link below. I'll be ordering the SKF tonight just because.

The other thing to beware of with bearings is that the ChiComs have a lot of crap out there falsely branded SKF, NTN, etc. so if you see a price that looks to good to be true, it probably is made out of chinesium.

https://www.grainger.com/product/SKF...Bearing-23Y196
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

What I'd like to know is: Why doesn't my 2014 RTL even have a tension/damper roller?? I have no serious vibrations or noises coming from the belt; but since I bought it used with only 6,500 miles
    I'm not sure if it ever had one .... or not. Are there some (yr/models) that never received a damper roller.???

Spyder Garage

ChicagoSpyder does that bearing fit inside the lamonster roller, and if so does is it just pressed in?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post
    What I'd like to know is: Why doesn't my 2014 RTL even have a tension/damper roller?? I have no serious vibrations or noises coming from the belt; but since I bought it used with only 6,500 miles
    I'm not sure if it ever had one .... or not. Are there some (yr/models) that never received a damper roller.???
    The damper units are strictly an add-on. Some folks have their belts adjusted right in the sweet spot, others never can seem to get there, so the dampers help.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    The damper units are strictly an add-on. Some folks have their belts adjusted right in the sweet spot, others never can seem to get there, so the dampers help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
    ChicagoSpyder does that bearing fit inside the lamonster roller, and if so does is it just pressed in?
    YES, You can tap the old ones out with the correct size socket and tap the new ones in with a bigger socket.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

I'm guessing here but is Doc's bearings only rated at 8000 RPM?

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post
    There are so many variables with this issue. Some people don't really care if their belt vibrates. It drives others crazy. Some vibrate a little. Some vibrate a lot. For some, the vibration resides at a speed that they run all of the time. Others get vibration at a speed that they just motor through on the way to their usually speed.

Some have adjusted belt tension and gotten good results. Others never seem to be able to get vibration reduced to their satisfaction. It's easier to install a dampener than to trial-and-error belt tension hoping to get lucky.

So, it really depends. It's not a 'One solution fits all' situation. The real issue here is why so many dampeners fail. And when they do they usually take your $300.00+ (parts only, installation not included) drive belt with it. The dampeners work great at reducing or eliminating vibration, for the most part. Getting a reliable one has been somewhat of an issue. With the BRP offering being, by far, the worst of the bunch, it seems.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-30-2020 at 06:56 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
    It's the same dimensions as the Lamonster bearing, and yes pressed in. I like SKF bearings but ant quality bearing such as NTN, or Timken will suffice as long as it has an RPM rating that meets or exceeds the RPM's the bearing will be subject too.

I would like to add any roller bearing used in the tensioner should be checked for rolling smoothness at the 4000 mile mark, and IMO replaced at the 8-10K mark as it's just cheap insurance to keep Mr. Murphy away.

If anyone really wants to save money they can pull the bearing out, open the seals, flush out all the old grease and replace with new grease.....but it's been my own experience that grease seals don't ever seal and hold like they did when new, so for the price of a couple of drinks I just replace the bearings in my somewhat wisened days
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

after all the running around finding the stuff you need and doing the mods
    you could just buy the lamonster setup with a MUCH bigger roller. works very well.
    comparison of the 2 below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    No Spyder comes with a drive belt dampener. There are so many variables with this issue. Some people don't really care if their belt vibrates. It drives others crazy. Some vibrate a little. Some vibrate a lot. For some, the vibration resides at a speed that they run all of the time. Others get vibration at a speed that they just motor through on the way to their usually speed.

Some have adjusted belt tension and gotten good results. Others never seem to be able to get vibration reduced to their satisfaction. It's easier to install a dampener than to trial-and-error belt tension hoping to get lucky.

So, it really depends. It's not a 'One solution fits all' situation. The real issue here is why so many dampeners fail. And when they do they usually take your $300.00+ (parts only, installation not included) drive belt with it. The dampeners work great at reducing or eliminating vibration, for the most part. Getting a reliable one has been somewhat of an issue. With the BRP offering being, by far, the worst of the bunch, it seems.
    My 2019 F3-S came with BRP dampener OEM. Upgraded to Lamonster roller shortly thereafter.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    My 2019 F3-S came with BRP dampener OEM. Upgraded to Lamonster roller shortly thereafter.
    Really! Are you sure it wasn't something the dealership installed? I was not aware that any Spyder left the factory with a drive belt dampener.

(I have sense learned that some Spyder did, indeed, come with the drive belt vibration dampener installed from the factory)
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-30-2020 at 06:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Really! Are you sure it wasn't something the dealership installed? I was not aware that any Spyder left the factory with a drive belt dampener.
    It was on there, and I didn't pay any extra for it. Brand new out of the crate. My 2019 F3-S also came with the SS style grill too..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

It was on there, and I didn't pay any extra for it. Brand new out of the crate. My 2019 F3-S also came with the SS style grill too..
    Could be the dealer put it on for his own reasons. He may have had belt vibration issues with past owners and figured this would be a way to avoid them in the future.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I received my new belt tensioner from Lamonster yesterday . I check it and it does have the 6202 RS bearings. If I understand it these bearings are good for 12000 RPM. I don't ride that hard. Very seldom ride over 80 mile an hour. Interstate 70 to 75 mph.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default smooth spyder roller

in reading all these posts, has anyone had any problems with the smooth spyder roller, or have any knowledge of such?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by whitedog43 View Post
    in reading all these posts, has anyone had any problems with the smooth spyder roller, or have any knowledge of such?
    I asked the other day if there has been any bearing or roller problems with Smoothspyder tensioner. No one has ever come back.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Same here, my girlfriend and I purchased new 2018 F3T’s from separate dealers and they both came with the BRP tensioner. I thought BRP had the tension issue resolved when I test drove them. I was performing some mods later on and to my surprise discovered the tensioners on each Spyder. I contacted the dealers and they didn’t install them, so it appears they came from the factory that way. I replaced the rollers right away with the Lamonster roller.

I guess starting in 2018 BRP installed the tensioner on the Spyders with the 89 tooth rear sprocket which would be the F3T and F3S. The only Spyder for year 2019 that has the 89 tooth rear sprocket is the F3S. I’m not sure on the 2020 F3 models.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    Same here, my girlfriend and I purchased new 2018 F3T’s from separate dealers and they both came with the BRP tensioner. I thought BRP had the tension issue resolved when I test drove them. I was performing some mods later on and to my surprise discovered the tensioners one each Spyder. I contacted the dealers and they didn’t install them, so it appears the came from the factory that way. I replaced the rollers right away with the Lamonster roller.

I guess starting in 2018 BRP installed the tensioner on the Spyders with the 89 tooth rear sprocket which would be the F3T and F3S. Starting 2019 the only Spyder that is 89tooth is the F3S. I’m not sure on the 2020 F3 models.
    OK. I was not aware of this. I stand corrected! You learn something every day (if you're paying attention).

Spyder Garage

The long and short of this whole post is that, just like having to change your oil, if you have one of these units on your bike you should defiantly be checking it at the same time for wear! It has bearings and spins like hell down there, and bearings do not last for ever, no matter who's unit you have. Myself, when you roll down the road you can feel every thing on the road, a little vibration for the belt I think I can live with so far! Now if it vibrated as bad as my fathers old electo glides use to, right up threw the foot pegs, I would have a problem with that!! Good Luck guy's, and gal's with your dampeners!
    2012 RTL , Pearl