Spyder Garage

Default No oil in gearbox

My friend bought a 2019 Ryker 900 Ace Friday with less than 50 miles on it (the last 6 digits of the vin are 000152). After getting it home he put an additional 30+ miles and it started making a bad noise. When checked there was no oil in the gearbox. It was bone dry. According to the original owner there is approx. 30 days left on warranty, but that's not verified yet. If the warranty is expired, what is the probability of can-am addressing the problem given it has virtually no miles on it? Any ideas of best course of action if not covered under original warranty?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I would talk to a dealer right away, even if it occured after warranty expired. If it is not due to wear, missuse, lack of service etc, but rather an issue due to the OEM assembly/delivery, then I would EXPECT it to be taken on good will. That's my expectations, I got no factual insight regarding how they handle such cases.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This was a known issue with some of the early Rykers and there was a bulletin issued about the problem. The original owner should have returned the unit for inspection. The dealer/BRP should cover this even if its not still under warranty. With the bulletin being issued about the problem you have a good leg to stand on. That said. Once its fixed I wouldn't go back to the original purchasing dealer. They should have checked the gearbox oil level as part of dealer prep.

If you run the VIN at the BRP website I believe it will tell you when the warranty expires.

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, I don't know how to lookup the vin on their website but i'll go and look again. I'm going to call in the morning hopefully they will be open. The lady he got it from is 76 years old and he is babying it because break in period. thanks again foe y'alls thoughts

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pbnj08 View Post
    ... he is babying it because break in period.
    He's not "babying" it, he's KILLING it.

With only 50 miles of "babying" it might still be possible to break it in properly.

It's already proven that valves aren't hitting pistons and everything else turns as it should, get some power into those pistons and get some pressure behind the rings so they can mate up properly with the cylinder walls.

Spyder Garage

i'll tell him exactly that! lol

Spyder Garage

We got good news this morning that there is still factory warranty on it. Runs out July 29!

Spyder Garage

This one piqued my curiosity. The I OP mentioned the engine made a bad noise. Plus he stated after checking the gear box, he found there was no oil in the gear box. I’m sure the others subscribed to this post would appreciate some follow up. I know I would like to hear how this is addressed. And I’m sure the current owner is thrilled that the factory warranty is intact until July 29th of this year. As was mentioned previously in this thread, it was incumbent of the selling dealer to have seen to all of the components (like the motor, transmission, gearbox, etc.) are checked and filled with the proper amount of lubricant *(((BEFORE)))* delivery to the original owner, which in this case, that dealer obviously failed to do

I can’t think of a more clear cut instance where a factory warranty would apply. All that said...if the gearbox is indeed damaged, because the factory and the selling dealer neglected to carry out this inspection, I have an idea BRP is taking care of this forthwith

I’ve actually experienced a similar scenario. Late 2014 I purchased a used BMW RT. I forget the exact year it was made. The person I bought it from was selling it for a friend. We checked all of the lubricant dipsticks and cases except for the transmission. After a brief check out ride I purchased this motorcycle. I rode it no more than 20 miles towards home (Seller lived in Tampa Fla.) and the gearbox blew up. Luckily at the time I was able to coast into a rest area off I-75

I called the person I bought the bike from using my mobile phone. Believe it or not he drive to my location with a trailer, picked the bike up, placed the bike on his trailer and gave me my money back. Every dollar along with an apology for not checking the gearbox fluid. FWIW the gear box fluid level on that motorcycle used a leveling plug, not a dipstick

True story. I should also mention the gentleman that sold me that bike was a member of the airhead Beemer club
    2020 Rally , Black

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We got good news this morning that there is still factory warranty on it. Runs out July 29!
    Good news!

For others to avoid this issue, the level is easy to check. The gearbox has 3 plugs:
    Plastic filler plug with o-ring - 15 mm socket
    Level check plug - 10 mm socket / T30 Torx
    Drain plug - 8 mm hex bit (Allen)

All are accessible on left side, without unclipping engine air filter assembly, but it is easier to pop the two clips and remove it.

Proper method is to remove level check plug. If warm and full, a little may overflow.

Quick check is to remove fill plug, which is about 2 inches above level check plug and insert 8 inch cable tie. Gear box fluid should be about 2 inches down, corresponding to lower level of level check plug.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Sorry havent been online, been working on my f800gs. I called the dealer and they said that BRP is warranty the gearbox so cool. I asked for a pic of it but still havent gotten it yet but i will post it if i get one. thanks everyone

Spyder Garage

I didnt say anything about engine making a bad noise

Spyder Garage

I can't remember where I read this but the oil in the gearbox WHEN COLD should be 3mm below the oil level check hole. When very warm the oil should be up even to the bottom edge of the oil level check hole. To check this I thought of using a "J" bend bicycle spoke. (normal spoke) I would place the spoke with the bend in to the level check hole, resting on the bottom of the hole, with the bend facing down. The cold oil should cover the mushroomed larger diameter of the spoke only. Not up to the bottom side of the long straight area of spoke (ok if oil is warmed up).

Spyder Garage

Default checking the gear box oil - from shop manual

VERIFYING THE GEARBOX OIL LEVEL
    1. Place the vehicle on a level surface.
    2. Stop the engine and move the park position
    lever in the locking position.
    3. Remove the gearbox oil level plug and discard
    sealing ring.
    4. Check oil level. The oil should be level with the
    bottom of the oil level hole.
    NOTICE Operating the gearbox with an improper oil level may severely damage gearbox.
    5. If required, add gearbox oil.
    Remove oil filler plug (discard O-ring) and fill in
    gearbox oil.
    6. Reinstall the oil level plug and oil filler plug with
    a NEW sealing ring and NEW O-ring. Tighten to
    specification.
    2013 ST LTD; 2019 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, I don't know how to lookup the vin on their website but i'll go and look again. I'm going to call in the morning hopefully they will be open. The lady he got it from is 76 years old and he is babying it because break in period. thanks again foe y'alls thoughts
    Was this purchased from a dealer or was it a private transaction with a 76 year old lady?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited