Spyder Garage

Default What seats are best for touring?

just got a 2017 Spyder RT. after a short ride crotch about kills me. anybody else had that problem. feels like I am tilted forward. what is the best seat for touring.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2020 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Title clarification

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ultimate makes a great seat, but it's a bit pricey but well worth the money if you ride a lot!

Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

There are several good after market seats available. They will all be pricey but if they work for you it will be worth it. I have an Ultimate seat and I've been happy with it. There are a few other less expensive options you can try. An Air Hawk seat cushion can alleviate some pressure points. I have a gel pad that I use on long trips even with my Ultimate seat. Every other gas stop I use the gel pad just to give my rear a different sensation. Also, my highway pegs change my seating position since I raise up my legs. Combine this with a backrest and your whole body position changes. So, for me, movement and change, including plenty of stretch stops, help my comfort level on long trips.

Spyder Garage

Stock seat with an Airhawk cushion. Several back to back 500+ mile days with this combination. Works great if the cushion is used properly.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Bottom line: the one that works for you and gives you miles and miles of ride without your butt feeling like it is going to fall off.

If your 2017 RT still has the OEM "mush" seat...in most cases, that is going to contribute to your being uncomfortable after about 50 miles.

The choices are many, and the solutions are few. The word, big bucks comes in here also.

I have used two brands of aftermarket seats. Have replaced all six OEM Spyder seats within 500 miles of ownership.

For starters, you could try either sheepskin gel or an AirHawk pad. Both around $100. If they work for you, you will save at least $400.

Two of my rides got Corbin seats. People either like em or hate em. The complaint is they are to hard and never shape to the rider. Yes. Those of us who like them call them supportive. I have 56K miles on my two Corbins.

All of my other Spyders have BRP Comfort seats. They sit you back a couple inches and most like the extra padding. Long rides are no longer a problem or issue. You still should get off an stretch every 100-150 miles or so.

The third option is custom crafted seats. I have not gone that route.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-24-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Try the cheaper option first, Airhawk or another of the widely available seat pads, then maybe a gel insert like Motorcycle Dave has. A lot of folks like the aftermarket seats like Ultimate or Mustang and such. Usually a different riding position, and will have variations moving the pilot up or back a few inches. they will generally have a few different riding positions and coverings from which to choose.

There are also custom motorcycle saddle builders. There are a bunch of custom seat makers, enter "Custom Motorcycle seats" in the search box - many will have Can AM listed as an option, but some are specialized for Gold Wing or Harley. A local auto upholstery shop may be able to alter your current saddle to fit you.

In our case, for not too much more than the Ultimate set - seat, passenger and driver backrest - we got a Diamond Custom Seat made to our measurements and weights. Gloria wanted to be a bit higher in the pillion, so they added an inch to the height in the rear seat. If we want changes after a 3000 mile "break-in" period they will alter it free. Diamond also makes their own seat pan so you aren't without a seat while they build yours. We were very happy when we had a Diamond seat with the same fabric on 2 previous Gold Wing trikes, so we went with on again on the 2018 RTL.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

After all manner of pads, air hawks, sheepskins, Corbin and BRP saddles, we finally arrived at the solution that works for us:
    Custom fitted saddles. We now have had 3 done, and will get another made by Seth Laam on the 2nd of June. We have 2 Russell Daylong Saddles, and 1 by Seth. Not any more $ than An ultimate seat (which is a fine seat if it fits you, as is the Corbin). If it does not fit you, a custom seat fitted to you will fit you like a glove. 750 mile days are common. If you are in pain, 200 miles is agony! If I had all the money I spent on what did not work, I would have lots of money! The Laam saddle (laamseats.com) is fantastic. I loved my Daylong, and it allowed us to enjoy the ride. Something to consider. Riding in comfort is a no brainer. Every butt is different. Just makes sense to have a seat that fits!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Just a thought but ... you say you are leaning forward . Check your handlebar reach . Shorter reach handlebar will let you sit more upright and take the crush off the Man Parts .
    2019 f3-s , Blue

Spyder Garage

I think it would help the discussion if the OP would let us know how tall he/she is and what build he/she is and if he/she rides solo or 2 up. This would allow people of similar characteristics and riding situation to help him/her out.
    Last edited by Eckhard; 05-24-2020 at 11:37 AM. Reason: opening gender possibilities
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Dave here,
    All the above are good options however replacing your seat is SUPER costly
    you will pay upwards of a 1000 dollars for some, sheep skins are fantastic in the
    winter or cold months but in the summer make your butt sweat. inflatable devices
    are ok but can go flat if punctured and are easily stolen. I feel I have help for
    your pain and suffering. It only costs $79.95 and you do it yourself, install one of my
    Medical Gel with memory foam seat pad kits into your seat, it's easy and well worth your time.
    I have been building custom seats since 1971 and can build a seat to fit anyone however
    my Gel kit usually is a great way to go for comfort.

GIVE ME A CALL 209-887-3283 motorcycledave@mac.com
    conformax.jpgGel in place.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jeneallen View Post
    just got a 2017 Spyder RT. after a short ride crotch about kills me. anybody else had that problem. feels like I am tilted forward. what is the best seat for touring.
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 05-24-2020 at 05:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

If you have an experienced saddle customizer in your area, my suggestion is for you to take you and your bike there and get your seat tailored to your butt. In the process, he will also correct your posture and you can select a different cover. I have done that to a few bikes and never been disappointed. Here's my guy's FB page....note the descriptions tell what he did for the customer.
    https://www.facebook.com/mredsmoto/
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

May be a crazy question, but here goes. Has anyone tried wearing the shorts (underwear) made for bikers? They are padded with gel and move with you. Seems like it may be worth a try and much cheaper than a new seat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lehrman View Post
    May be a crazy question, but here goes. Has anyone tried wearing the shorts (underwear) made for bikers? They are padded with gel and move with you. Seems like it may be worth a try and much cheaper than a new seat.
    Funny you should mention that, I have been meaning to try a pair of those.

As for the original Q, it is practically impossible to answer the question because even though all butts look the same (crack, two cheeks), each one is very unique. I can tell you what works for me, but its probably only for me and maybe some other nutty person. I personally need wings that come out around my hips/outer cheeks to spread out the support. Most bike seats support the narrow-butted, maybe a couple inches out from each side of the crack. That's not enough support. The only stock seat I haven't wanted to replace, and haven't, is my '16 Wing. It has good lumbar support AND has the wings that far out a little and cup the butt.

I have owned many bikes by now. I tried an Ultimate - hated it - actually sent it back to them because I kept sinking deeper and deeper in their memory foam until the seat felt like I was sitting perpendicular on a rubber playground swing. I had a Corbin - that was pretty good because it was very firm and had a shallow bucket design that provided some outer cheek support - only problem is the deepest part of the seat was too deep, so I was lacking support in the tailbone until about 30 minutes into the ride when your tush eventually warms up the seat a bit to make it pliable. It was still a decent seat - but I felt the $900 I paid for it deserved more.

One consistent theme I have seen in all the forums I have been on over the years is that the Russell Day Long seat are very popular, closely followed by a local custom seat maker. They design the seat around your rump, not a standard fit or a general fit. I do not have a RDL seat as I have become a little gun shy after my experiences with expensive aftermarket seats. My STS seat leaves a lot to be desired, but I have been living with a break and sips of coffee every 45 mins. or so vs. gambling with another pricey aftermarket seat. If I were to go aftermarket again, I would go RDL or local.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

Have a saddle custom made for you. We love our Laam seats! Laamseats.com
    700 mile days are common for us. No pain!!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

There is a brand new, unused pair of saddles for sale in another thread.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome