Spyder Garage

Default Wearing glasses with helmet

Ok. So Mrs. iridenow wears glasses. She has a hard time putting glasses on after putting her helmet on. She essentially destroyed 1 pair of glasses trying to put them on after putting on her helmet. Is there a trick to doing this?
    Fred is a 2010 RT SM5 - Sold.

I am not a mechanic. When I have a tool in my hand, 911 needs to be on Standby.

Spyder Garage

Actually, it might not be so much 'a trick' as it is a matter of choosing the right helmet/helmet type!!

My Missus & I both wear glasses (me at times; her all the time!) and we've found that the cheek & ear pads on the Shoei GT-Air helmets are ideally suited to easy glasses donning, while many other helmets make it nearly impossible!?! With the GT-Airs, there's a little less rigid padding just where you need it to be in order to slide the glasses arms in - smmmooooth as duck poo! All the previous helmets we had, including Arai, Shark, & others, just didn't allow that; their padding was simply too big &/or too tight in just the wrong spots, so slipping the glasses arms in & over your ears was not ever an easy thing to do... well, not unless everything was lined up exactly right!! We broke more than one pair apiece just to drive the point home!! (sometimes, juuust sometimes, I'm a slow learner! )

If you're breaking glasses arms, then it might be time to consider a new helmet?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When you get new glasses get some that have very thin flat ear pieces and when putting on
    the helmet grab both straps and pull apart to spread open the helmet.
    I keep my glasses on and then put the helmet on by pulling the sides apart to clear my ears.
    My wife also does the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by iridenow View Post
    Ok. So Mrs. iridenow wears glasses. She has a hard time putting glasses on after putting her helmet on. She essentially destroyed 1 pair of glasses trying to put them on after putting on her helmet. Is there a trick to doing this?

Spyder Garage

FWIW, as a full time glasses wearer I did a lot of research on helmets before purchasing. I found that the Shoei RF-1200 showed up on almost every web search and review. I wear Oakley Airdrop frames, and they have pretty thick temple pieces with that material that doesn't let them slip when sweaty. When I found the correct size helmet these glasses slipped right one and stayed put. Of course not all helmets will fit every head shape, and if you do go the new helmet route it's always best to try them on for find the right fit. I did a 12 hour, 600 mile day not long after I got this helmet and there were no issues at all with either helmet or glasses.

Hope this helps.

One word of caution. When taking glasses off to put helmet on, don't forget put glasses back on. I did this on my last trip to Tennessee. My glasses fell off the bag I had strapped to the back seat and I proceeded to run them over with that huge rear tire . Vision insurance is a blessing

Spyder Garage

You have received very good information thus far. I wear sunglasses with 2.0 magnifiers so my dashboard and GPS are sharper and I ruined two pair of Dual Eyewear glasses because the temple pieces were too thick. I switched to an older pair owned for years and they worked best.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Glasses

YES, Glasses and Helmets like to mix it up. All good tips as posted.
    Good Luck with Your Mission. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

If your cheek pads aren't to tight to your face when you have the helmet on a light stretch outwards and slip it over your head and glasses should work! You style of frames may need a change also, There's a lot in play here!! Good Luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wear glasses full-time, I tried various full face helmets and tried to put my glasses on after donning the helmet - didn't work! I now wear a modular HJC that I put on while wearing my glasses, no problem. It is important to spread the sides of the helmet!
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    I wear glasses full-time, I tried various full face helmets and tried to put my glasses on after donning the helmet - didn't work! I now wear a modular HJC that I put on while wearing my glasses, no problem. It is important to spread the sides of the helmet!
    ...but or me I wear a shorty MOST of the time .....I also have a modular that I can easily put on while wearing the glasses, but can also put the glasses on after having the helmet on ..... your choice .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I wear a HJC Modular. Chin guard up, tilt head up, slide helmet down and rotate head forward as helmet slides on. Easy peasy.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Been wearing glasses all my life. So, for me, it has been a non-issue.

Our helmet choice has been Nolans for the last 15 years or so. Currently, we are using Bell Mag 9/sena.

Both brands seem a little tight when putting on. We pull the helmet out a little (by pulling out the attachment straps) to stretch over the stems. Then we do the "ear tuck." Put the ears in the proper recesses (slide the flat of the hand between the ears and helmet) and the helmet will cover the stems nicely. Or, put on the helmet and then the glasses by sliding the stems into the helmet.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I wear a HJC Modular. Chin guard up, tilt head up, slide helmet down and rotate head forward as helmet slides on. Easy peasy.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I both wear glasses and one of the things we both do is to put on a very thin Schampa brand Coolskin skull cap first.....with the glasses already on. Our helmets are the HJC RPHA-90 modular helmets. As I'm putting mine on, I grab the strap and the buckle and spread the helmet a bit and with the Coolskins, the helmet slides right on. Once I have the helmet on, I still have to spread one side at a time and manually adjust the way the glasses are positioned on my head/ear area.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mrs. Steve wears glasses and an HJC modular helmet. She pulls the helmet a bit wider with the straps, puts the helmet on while still wearing glasses.

I wear an HJC full-face helmet and no glasses except sunglasses. I have to remove the sunglasses to put the helmet on, then put the sunglasses back on before strapping the helmet in place. Partly to be sure I haven't lost them, like southpaw58 did, but mainly because I am bothered by the glare, and want to get my Serengetis back on as quickly as possible.

Spyder Garage

I have biked all of my life and have struggled with the glasses vs helmet question for more than 50 years. Generally put the glasses on after the helmet having to thread the arms/temples thru between head and helmet and then over the ear. A PITA each time.

It may be a question of the style of the glasses. Big over sized but stylish frames popular these days will be more difficult to fit than a smaller narrower frame. Sorry for stating the obvious.

Have a great day.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iridenow View Post

Are you talking full face helmet? I have an Aria full face, and when I put my sunglasses on, with a little bit larger frame, I had a hard time until I got used to it. Then, it was learning the up angle to get them started under the helmet, and once just touching the ears, it was an up and over movement. It looks like all those that responded are wearing modular or half helmets.

Spyder Garage

I wear the same balaclava and do the same. I wear an Arai full face and some of my glasses are easier to put on than others. I have one set where the lense are taller and I have to tilt the helmet 45deg to put them behind my ears and then slide my helmet down with the glasses..lol its a process so I got contacts for days I don't want to deal with glasses..
    Last edited by Bottomline2000; 05-24-2020 at 10:32 PM. Reason: edit

Spyder Garage

My old Shoei recently started shedding it’s foam so I had to get a new helmet. I reviewed a bunch of helmets online and was going to order one, but felt a little iffy, and didn’t want to play the return game. I went to a local store and tried on a couple that I was researching, and they didn’t allow my glasses to slide in. I ended up with another tried and true Shoei RF1200. The new version of what I had. I’m glad, because it’s a great helmet. A little more expensive, but great. I take my glasses off before putting the helmet on, then slide the glasses into place, and they stay locked in place.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have for our glasses to be fitted proper...we have to put them on after our helmet is on. That being said..we wear 3/4 Shoei helmets, not full helmet's.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    When you get new glasses get some that have very thin flat ear pieces and when putting on
    the helmet grab both straps and pull apart to spread open the helmet.
    I keep my glasses on and then put the helmet on by pulling the sides apart to clear my ears.
    My wife also does the same thing.
    Yep, the wife and I do the same as Motorcycle Dave does, leave glasses on, spread helmet over ears and down. Taking glasses off and putting them on with a helmet on is a pain and will destroy your glasses......as you already know......also, we both wear 3/4 helmets, hers a Bell Mag 9 and mine a HTC.........

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No problem with glasses with HJC IS-33 II helmet.
    Also allows very good peripheral vision and excellent ventilation.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glasses is one big reason I wear a modular helmet. Pull the helmet apart and slip on over my glasses.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Would agree that a modular is the way to go. One of my problems was forgetting to take my glasses off when I pull the full face off.

2015 RTL White

Spyder Garage

+1 On the modular- slip it on but not fully down, slip glasses on and over ears, finish pulling helmet last few mmy to comfy and then strap- removal is REVERSE! My health fund gives one pair of free glasses every year and so have multiple pairs, some will never work with a helmet!