Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Post-ride disinfect

OK, I know, weird question. Do you or are any of you planning on disinfecting or deep cleaning your riding gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, boots) after each ride out on the Ryker due to the current pandemic?
    2019 Can-Am Ryker 900 RE
    2019 900 Rally Edition , Black w/Yellow Panels

Spyder Garage

Not even a thought or consideration...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Gloves get it whenever I use the gas pump that everyone else has touched. Bike, other gear, not so much.

I guess handlegrips might be another area, since they get touched by the gloves.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It’s yours. Do how you feel. I just load up and ride put helmet and gloves on seat.when I stop anywhere. No one else touches them ? Right.
    30 years Over the road truck driver. Now the better half wants to do all the provinces on the Spyder. Maybe when it grows up to a Newer one.
    Copied from a post in Mean People.
    When told "that ain't a motorcycle," I reply, "You're right - it's actually a snowmobile and I ordered the optional tires so I can ride it year round." Shuts 'em up every time!

2012 RSS-SE5
    Avon HD Grips.
    K&N oil transmission and Air filters
    Ultimate Seat With both backrests .Black with Ostrich Red Stripe
    2012 RS S SE5 , Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Getting ready to go on a tour in a few weeks and was concerned too, to a little bit anyways. Just heard on radio today that they are backing off the virus' ability to transmit via surface contact. Spread seems to be by droplet. Still a good idea to be as safe as possible, as many of us are over 60... the target group (yeah, made it by 1 year so far). Anyways, today's info (which is changing seemingly daily) put my mind at ease somewhat. Stay safe everyone and find time to enjoy the wind!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    Getting ready to go on a tour in a few weeks and was concerned too, to a little bit anyways. Just heard on radio today that they are backing off the virus' ability to transmit via surface contact. Spread seems to be by droplet. Still a good idea to be as safe as possible, as many of us are over 60... the target group (yeah, made it by 1 year so far). Anyways, today's info (which is changing seemingly daily) put my mind at ease somewhat. Stay safe everyone and find time to enjoy the wind!
    That seems to be in line with the new directive to back off on the rules and open up the country.

Unfortunately, both of us are in the high risk group. If either one of us catches it, it will probably be adios amigos.

I will remain on the cautionary side for now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Just disinfect my hands and gloves when stopped at the gas pumps.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I take my riding gloves off to pump gas, pandemic or not, then I use sanitizer. I take my gloves off in case I spill gas, I can always wash my hands but my gloves will smell if they get gas on them.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No sanitizing here. I know where my 'stuff' has been, for the most part, at least. Riding gloves come off when we stop. If fueling, a nitrile glove comes out (unless there are some available at the pump), that one glove ONLY touches the gas pump and nozzle, NEVER the bike (or car), then gets removed properly (turned inside-out when peeled off) and tossed in the trash at the pump.

Spyder Garage

This virus is a contact virus. Infected human to human. It is not caused by pollen in the air. It is not dust or dirt. It does not survive on exposed surfaces for long.

I cannot see why you would need to disinfect your Ryker.

Then again, I'm no expert working for the Government.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Spyder Garage

If you ride fast enough... The virus (and the police) can't catch you! Avoiding any need to disinfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob204bc View Post

....Then again, I'm no expert working for the Government.
    We have EXPERTS working for the government? Why haven't we seen them?
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-21-2020 at 12:20 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

As with most above, riding is largely motorized social distancing except for gas stops. I like to use busy gas stations as the gas will be fresher, and there is less chance of foreign matter or water in the fuel. This means a lot of hands on the equipment. I sanitize my hands before I touch anything, then another large squirt and lightly spread the sanitizer on my hands. As my hands are wet from the solution it gets on and sanitizes everything I touch, and the alcohol cleans the pump handle and buttons I touch.
    I actually did this a lot before the current unpleasantness - my truck is diesel and that gets everywhere around the pumps. If I don't have the nitrile gloves the sanitizer seems to break down the fuel and my hands don't smell of diesel. It's not a big deal to extend the habit to regular gas pumps.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Only if anyone touches my ryker or my gear... other than that its just about cleaning my hands when i fill up, which I do anyway.

Spyder Garage

A few minutes of sunlight kills any virus that might be on gloves. I wear leather gloves riding. I handle the gas nozzle with the same gloves. Riding several miles in sunlight and wind moving by at 60 to 70 MPH should take care of any virus that might be on the gloves. I don't sanitize any other riding gear except the face shield. I clean the love bugs off of it when I park the bike. Most of the stories about virus living on surfaces are scare stories told by the news media to increase their ratings. Virus does not survive long or do well outside in the sunlight and open air. You can find scientific papers on the subject if you look for it.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

If ya don't ride slow it can't catch ya

Spyder Garage

If you was afraid of slightly higher rates of danger, you would not be riding a motorcycle.

Spyder Garage

There have been no reported infections by mail or gas pump. The virus is killed in direct sunlight (according to reports, if you can take their words for it) and most of the infections came from folks at home (whatever that might mean). Getting out and in the sunlight is probably the best thing for you. I only take precautions for my wife. I haven't had a flu shot since 1970 and never had the flu (knock on wood) and the last cold I had was a two day thing that was about ten years ago. I am 70yo and my expiration date has expired, so other than being careful with my wife, I plan to enjoy my lifestyle worry-free. Just my opinion. I have relatives that haven't been out of their homes in three months. I don't judge, but that would drive me crazy. I have been doing the shopping for my wife for the last three months and just got her out to a restaurant the other day. She survived so far and is looking forward to getting out more now that we have found that NO ONE in our neighborhood has reported an infection. Many of the deaths reported have been folks that passed by natural causes that also tested positive so they went on the count. It's dangerous because of how little we know about it and the lack of knowledge of how to treat it. Like the old saying by FDR that "the only fear is fear itself."
    Just my opinion. I take precautions when I shop, but otherwise the "virus" scare can take a line along with cycle accidents, plane crashes and food poisoning.
    Like I said, Just my OPINION.

Spyder Garage

I guess the question is what precautions did you take in past years against the flu? Same thing.

Don't kiss/touch/get close to people you don't know, wash your hands after touching things you don't know about and quit being a nancy.

life will find a way to get you, either cower and don't enjoy or don't worry and enjoy, your choice.

happy riding.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chuckhelton View Post
    I guess the question is what precautions did you take in past years against the flu? Same thing.

Don't kiss/touch/get close to people you don't know, wash your hands after touching things you don't know about and quit being a nancy.

life will find a way to get you, either cower and don't enjoy or don't worry and enjoy, your choice.

happy riding.

Yeah, that is pretty much it.............. except that I also avoid a lot of the people I do know, not really because they might have the flu, just because I don't like them.

Spyder Garage

D - MAS We are old folks so we distance and wear masks if we enter a commercial establishment. Alcohol spray or Sanitizer and let the Suns UV Rays do their thing on gloves, grips, etc.

Yes I do spray down and wash my hands often....
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

If you are old folks, then you should take some precautions, but I am only 70.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    If you are old folks, then you should take some precautions, but I am only 70.
    Whippersnapper...

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hell No!

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Best after effect of this will be ......
    that public nose pickings will have been eradicated

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by strykerAKAmack View Post
    Best after effect of this will be ......
    that public nose pickings will have been eradicated
    Isn't this where the term 'Dig Deep' originated?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...