Spyder Garage

Default Vredestein Quatrac 5 (WOW)

I ordered a set of Vedestein Quatrac 5 tires (165/60/15) tires as front replacements for the original Kenda tires on my 2019 Spyder F3. After having the new tires mounted/balanced, the ride home was nothing short of awesome! The new tires made a drastic improvement in the ride quality of my F3 and it eliminated the slight vibration I had in the front end. This might be the best improvement made to my F3 so far. If anyone is on the fence concerning front tire replacements, just do it, the ride quality is immediately improved and you won't be disappointed.
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Spyder Garage

What are you running on the rear? I'm learning about the tires.
    2018 F3T , White / Black

Spyder Garage

The original Kenda tire. I don't plan to replace the rear until I need to.
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any replacement tire is a improvement over stock.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CJDavis View Post
    Well the Q-5 has a size that will work ..... 205/60 or 205/65 -15 ..... or the Altimax RT43 ...215/60-15 or the new Michelin Defender " T & H " 205/65-15 .... all these are very high rated tires .....good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I put the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires on the front of our Spyder last year. I felt just the same as you. I was totally blown away by the difference from the Kenda tires. I have a Yokohama on the rear and when the time comes, it will get replaced with a Vredestein on the rear.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well the Q-5 has a size that will work ..... 205/60 or 205/65 -15 ..... or the Altimax RT43 ...215/60-15 or the new Michelin Defender " T & H " 205/65-15 .... all these are very high rated tires .....good luck .... Mike
    Thanks! Mine is shot after 8700 miles. Its a racing slick in the middle. Kept it at 27 PSI. Ugh
    2018 F3T , White / Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks! Mine is shot after 8700 miles. Its a racing slick in the middle. Kept it at 27 PSI. Ugh
    Yes for any Kenda tire, that is the amount of PSI needed because it's so weakly made .... When switching to ANY Auto tire I recommend 15-17 front and 17-18 for rear ...... this is what I use at 175lbs .... no pass. ..... If you add substantially more weight ( ie.load ) bring it up only 1-2 lbs f & r .... that's all it will need to change the load capacity ..... Mike

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Kenda tires wear in the middle because they are like a baloney skin. When it rotates at speed it turns into an oval with the center only contacting the road. Makes no difference what the pressure is.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

There is enough tire information here on SL that attempting to read it all is the world's best cure for insomnia.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    There is enough tire information here on SL that attempting to read it all is the world's best cure for insomnia.
    I do find them a fun read.
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2006 Triumph Rocket Dyno tuned 140hp 154tq)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arcamguy View Post
    I ordered a set of Vedestein Quatrac 5 tires (165/60/15) tires as front replacements for the original Kenda tires on my 2019 Spyder F3. After having the new tires mounted/balanced, the ride home was nothing short of awesome! The new tires made a drastic improvement in the ride quality of my F3 and it eliminated the slight vibration I had in the front end. This might be the best improvement made to my F3 so far. If anyone is on the fence concerning front tire replacements, just do it, the ride quality is immediately improved and you won't be disappointed.
    Did you order from the garage that mounted them? Asking, because I found with motorcycle tires, that I ordered online, no one was willing to balance and mount them.
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t
    2018 F3T , Position 5/ full size Matt Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carsong View Post
    Did you order from the garage that mounted them? Asking, because I found with motorcycle tires, that I ordered online, no one was willing to balance and mount them.
    What He was able to achieve is not pertinent to your situation, unless you have the same dealer .... Most dealers won't touch any tire brand that is not KENDA , .... ther are some who will so contact the dealer you use and ask .... The Spyder front wheels are very similar to the wheels on most small auto's, so most shops that service Auto tires can mount auto tires to your wheels .... you WILL have to bring the wheels in to them ..... the rear whell is a bit more difficult to remove / and put back on , however lots here do it and there are quite a few video's to show you how ..... any car tire is better constructed than any Kenda ...... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    any car tire is better constructed than any Kenda ...... good luck ... Mike
    Jury is still out on the Kenda Kanine... but all else you said was true. Any shop can do the front wheels and if you remove the rear wheel, most shops will do the rear. You need to bring only the rim, no sprocket. I got mine done at the local independent power sports shop done while I waited 30 minutes $40. I installed the sprocket offset by one spacer/dampener and it looks like the rear has 12 spokes!

https://www.cyclespecialtiesperformance.com/

if you manage to get the belt alignment off...
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Jury is still out on the Kenda Kanine... but all else you said was true. Any shop can do the front wheels and if you remove the rear wheel, most shops will do the rear. You need to bring only the rim, no sprocket. I got mine done at the local independent power sports shop done while I waited 30 minutes $40. I installed the sprocket offset by one spacer/dampener and it looks like the rear has 12 spokes!

https://www.cyclespecialtiesperformance.com/

if you manage to get the belt alignment off...
    ..... The jury is still out , however I've read the SPECS on it's ( Kanines ) tires and they are very, very similar to the OLD Kenda,s .... I don't think they will be any better than the old ones .... but I'm keeping an open mind .....stranger things have happened ....... Like the " Drive Belt " Vibes ..... you wouldn't think that Actually loosening the Tension would ease or eliminate them .....but it does .....Mike

Spyder Garage

What pressure are you running in those Quatrac 5's? I found the front end very squirmy in tight corners at 22psi. Run mine at 35psi, tightened the front right up.

Spyder Garage

17# psi

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerman View Post
    What pressure are you running in those Quatrac 5's? I found the front end very squirmy in tight corners at 22psi. Run mine at 35psi, tightened the front right up.
    If you are using Q-5's ( or any brand auto tire ) at 35psi you are riding on .... BRICKS ..... Not even Kenda's recommend 35 p[si for the fronts ...right now I have Altimax RT43 175/65-15 on the front and use 17 PSI because When I ride the " twistie's " at 9/10 th's I like the handling better .... Auto tires are way stronger than the Kenda's and actually function much better at the lower PSI .... Yes this is my opinion ( and probably Peter's also ) .... but what do I know .... I actually received formal training to qualify as a level three accident investigator ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerman View Post
    Check out rick-w's 'Broken Wheel' thread for an example of the sort of thing you've massively increased the risk of by running your tires at pressures that high!! And I'm pretty sure rick's tire wasn't anywhere near 35 psi!

Then when you add in the rapid tire wear; the lack of traction; the dangerous understeer if you ever ride hard; the damaging shock loads being transferred into your suspension, your Spyder, and you with all the other risky stuff it brings..... running pressures that high in an auto tire under a Spyder might feel (to the untrained/unaware anyway! ) that you get more direct steering, but there's ample physics & physical proof that this is not actually the case!! I'd suggest that if you had 'squirmy steering' &/or directional control issues with the Q5's at 22 psi (or even at 16 psi for that matter! ) then either you're too tense & over-controlling your Spyder or there's something else wrong with your Spyder (wheel alignment or maybe dodgy ball joints, worn tie-rod ends?? ) and all that you've done by increasing your tire pressures to something likely a tad higher than that necessary to carry a full sized auto is to have masked the problem under the rock hard ride and by doing so you've massively increased the risks & the potential for greater damage to you, your Spyder, and any other road user who might happen to cross your path/use the road around you!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2020 at 08:05 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Check out rick-w's 'Broken Wheel' thread for an example of the sort of thing you've massively increased the risk of by running your tires at pressures that high!! And I'm pretty sure rick's tire wasn't anywhere near 35 psi!

Then when you add in the rapid tire wear; the lack of traction; the dangerous understeer if you ever ride hard; the damaging shock loads being transferred into your suspension, your Spyder, and you with all the other risky stuff it brings..... running pressures that high in an auto tire under a Spyder might feel (to the untrained/unaware anyway! ) that you get more direct steering, but there's ample physics & physical proof that this is not actually the case!! I'd suggest that if you had 'squirmy steering' &/or directional control issues with the Q5's at 22 psi (or even at 16 psi for that matter! ) then either you're too tense & over-controlling your Spyder or there's something else wrong with your Spyder (wheel alignment or maybe dodgy ball joints, worn tie-rod ends?? ) and all that you've done by increasing your tire pressures to something likely a tad higher than that necessary to carry a full sized auto is to have masked the problem under the rock hard ride and by doing so you've massively increased the risks & the potential for greater damage to you, your Spyder, and any other road user who might happen to cross your path/use the road around you!!
    Amen Peter, .... we can advise and try to lead ...... but we can't make them follow .......Thanks ..... Mike