Spyder Garage

Default Odd Bearing type sound.

Hi... I have a 2012 RT Se5. Lately when I ride and give it a handful of throttle at around 4000rnp I get what sounds like a screaming bearing sound. Now it doesn't do it all the time and I think its more prevalent when its cooler. If I take it out of gear and rev the engine in neutral through the rev rage its normal [as a V twin can be] which leads me to think its the transmission that's making the noise. Its definitely not drive train related and not engine related... any ideas? I didn't really notice it until I rode it without a helmet on.. sounds normal like I say until you give it some welly... if you ride it at a steady rate it doesn't make the noise...odd!

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, put your helmet back on. Kidding.

Could it be this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lo4...ew?usp=sharing

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Wow... id have thought it would make the belt slip !

Spyder Garage

No. The cogs (teeth) on the belt keep that from happening. If you want to try a quick go/no go, wash the belt with some soapy water, leave it on there wet, and go out and check for the noise. It’s temporary, but it will let you know if it’s the belt.

Doug

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Well Snowbelt..... you were absolutely spot on..I would never have thought it was the belt in a million years as it didn't sound like it was coming from that area.. thanks to you its as quiet as a v twin can be.. yer a star!

Spyder Garage

So then, one last thing. As that bulletin says, you might want to consider having the belt tension checked. I think that belt would benefit from setting the tension lower in the band. Many run their tension at the lower end of the band anyway, because it helps to reduce belt vibration. A lot of posts on here about that. Of course, messing with the tension messes with the alignment, and back and forth. It's an easy DIY job if you are so inclined and have the tools, or you can take it to the shop. Good luck. Stay well.

Doug

Spyder Garage

Cheers will check the tension when I replace the tyre in a couple of weeks. ..thanks again!