Spyder Garage

Default Highway Stability

I have yet to pull the trigger on a Spyder RT Limited. How are they at highway speeds where cars and sometimes trucks are running 80+ mph? Are they stable at 80 to 90 mph or is it best to stick to local roads?

If you pass an 18-wheeler does the wind knock you around?

Spyder Garage

I won't kid you, learning to ride a Spyder has a long learning curve. I speak from personal experience.
    If the one you are looking at has the Bajaron swaybar, that's a great help toward stability. You can look at the swaybar links and if they are metal and not plastic, you're golden.
    You did not state if you are two wheeler rider. If you have been one for a long time the learning curve is longer. Also, two wheelers are more stable the faster they go. Not so much a Spyder, but it's quite manageable. The key is open hands on the grips and loosey goosey arms. Tighten up and the bike gets twitchy. If you don't know if or when it had a laser alignment, get one, it will help greatly toward stability.
    You also did not state what year is the Spyder. There are differences and if you tell us, we can be of more help. I wrote this assuming you are buying used.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Safety first! Whenever possible AVOID riding close to big semis! Also if they are doing 80-90 mph YOU SHOULDN'T BE! A Spyder is great, the 2020 is superb, I came over from a Harley Ultra Classic, ANY motorcycle or motorcyclist should know to stay away from large trucks on the highway-they have HUGE blind spots and following too closely will get you pelted with rocks thrown up from tires, a recap could separate, etc. PRUDENCE IS YOUR FRIEND ON A MOTORCYCLE!

Spyder Garage

My ‘20 RTL is stock. I haven’t noticed any knock around or stability issues. Some sway, but nothing that’s concerned me

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

My 17RTL is so much more stable out on the highway compared to my 03 GW.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

I ride an F3-S on the interstate highways at 75 to 80 MPH. That is about the speed traffic is moving. The F3 does not have as much frontal area and it does not have a windshield. It does not get blown around very much The interstates are not the problem with motorcycles. Most any of them can run with traffic on the interstate highways. The problem is the high bridges over bays and wide river mouths along the coast. The cross winds up on the high bridges are sometimes really bad. Riding across Sunshine Skyway can get real hairy if the cross winds are blowing. The high sections that allow large ships to get under the bridges are bad about cross winds too. If you are getting blown around, just slow down some until you get to a more calm section. They will close the bridges if the cross winds get too bad.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Speaking from my personal experience with my Spyder, and from what I have read on SL from owners of RTs through MY 2019, if your roadster is properly laser aligned and if it has a heavier duty sway bar like the one sold by Bajaron the machine will be very stable around semis and in very stiff crosswinds. Of course, just as with two wheels when you are on the road with semis maintain your safe following distance and when passing get the heck on by them. In my experiences out west, while there are fewer semi on interstates my bike performs just the same at 80+ as it does at lower speeds where I live.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

BajaRon sway bar make a huge difference in stability, both at higher speeds and cornering. Best $$$ spent so far on my '19 RTL!

Spyder Garage

I'm going to throw my experience or inexperience in. When I bought my 12 RT I changed the sway bar to Baja Ron's after a few hundred miles. Made a lot of difference. I now have a 16 RT and find no reason to change. Could be because I have a couple thousand more miles riding OR the 16 just doesn't need an upgrade.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

With or without the new swaybar (I have one), the Spyder is as or more stable in wind than any bike I've owned. Although any 1000 lb vehicle is more susceptible to crosswinds than a 6000 lb SUV, I've never felt in danger when tractor trailers or cross winds are around. I've sometimes been blown a a few inches of my current track, but I've never felt out of control.

Same experience even when pulling a trailer. My trailer (Aluma brand) is essentially a big aluminum box. I've never felt wind endangered me even when I pull it.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Much more stable than a two wheel motorcycle!! Handles very smoothly on the roads and interstates!

Spyder Garage

Many years on two wheels and it took me about 1000 miles to be REALLY comfortable on the RT. Highways and traffic are not an issue for me, even at 80+ speeds. Good tires and the sway bar work wonders for stability. Came across the prairie with 50 mph crosswinds last year and while I didn't enjoy it I never felt I was in danger or out of control.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Another one that took over a thousand miles of learning curve on the Spyder. This all happened back in 2008. Six Spyders and 150,000 plus Spyder miles later, we have it figured out.

We run into a lot of wind here in NW Arkansas. I don't feel like we are being blown all over the place, or that we are out of control. Both the F3 and the RT are good. F3 leads the RT, so I "break wind" for Linda on our rides.

We try to avoid semi's and their wind patterns. Most are moving along at higher speeds than we like. So, our solution is let them go by and they soon disappear in front of us.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-19-2020 at 10:50 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Another reason to avoid being near semis -- those are not 18 tires, those are 18 grenades.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Another reason to avoid being near semis -- those are not 18 tires, those are 18 grenades.
    A big AMEN to that!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

My first few times on the Interstate had me wondering how much I would loose getting rid of this wicked thing. Then i discovered it was ME, not the Syder that was the problem. Loved it ever since. Don't even mind 18 wheelers, except staying in their mirrors and making sure I get away from any that have a tire noise.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jarvis View Post
    I'm going to throw my experience or inexperience in. When I bought my 12 RT I changed the sway bar to Baja Ron's after a few hundred miles. Made a lot of difference. I now have a 16 RT and find no reason to change. Could be because I have a couple thousand more miles riding OR the 16 just doesn't need an upgrade.
    A big part of "needing or not needing" a sway bar mod is dependant on how hard you ride or push the Spyder. Very casual riding, you can probably do just fine without it.....unless maybe you have quite a bit or rider and passenger weight. The harder you push the Spyder, the more it is going to affect stability in the corners. YMMV obviously, but even my '19 RTL was sorely lacking stability in the corners and kept trying to run wide when pushed a bit. The sway bar instantly took care of most of that issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by triplethreat View Post
    A big part of "needing or not needing" a sway bar mod is dependant on how hard you ride or push the Spyder. Very casual riding, you can probably do just fine without it.....unless maybe you have quite a bit or rider and passenger weight. The harder you push the Spyder, the more it is going to affect stability in the corners. YMMV obviously, but even my '19 RTL was sorely lacking stability in the corners and kept trying to run wide when pushed a bit. The sway bar instantly took care of most of that issue.
    Great response. Maybe I will just have to push a little harder thru the corners. But I think we all agree that it takes miles/time to get used to riding one of these.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

80 mph, cruise set on the Interstate is my Spyder’s happy place no issues with wind or trucks.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

After a proper wheel alignment by Joe and Anne of Squared Away, My spyder track perfectly at speed ( any speed)
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    80 mph, cruise set on the Interstate is my Spyder’s happy place no issues with wind or trucks.
    Where do you go for your laser alignments??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Where do you go for your laser alignments??
    Looks like you're just across the river from Vancouver. ProCaliber Motorsports has a tech by the name of Shawn Smoak. He does a lot of Can Am videos on Youtube. He is their primary Can Am Tech and seems to really know his business.....
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Looks like you're just across the river from Vancouver. ProCaliber Motorsports has a tech by the name of Shawn Smoak. He does a lot of Can Am videos on Youtube. He is their primary Can Am Tech and seems to really know his business.....
    I was attempting to make a joke - I know Ann and friend do alignments. I have had Shawn align my bike, thank you. Shawn is a super nice guy.