Thread: Headlight

Spyder Garage

Default Headlight

Has anyone had to replace a light on their rt. it s the light behind dash. The top light. The dealer couldn't locate the part number. HELP. It is either the headlight or the fog lamp.
    Last edited by ndspyderlover; 05-18-2020 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Add,l nfo

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First you need to determine which light is out. They are different bulbs for each, they should be listed in the owners manual. The headlight is a 9005 and the fogs are H9. The Foglights have a switch to turn them on and off, your headlights are always on if the Spyder is running.
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 05-21-2020 at 10:54 PM.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    First you bed you determine which light is out. They are different bulbs for each, they should be listed in the owners manual. The headlight is a 9005 and the fogs are H9. The Foglights have a switch to turn them on and off, your headlights are always on if the Spyder is running.
    It s the head light

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Then you need a 9005 bulb
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

It's not a difficult process. You need to have a little time, patience, and replacement procedures at hand. And, make sure you stuff rags down the dark holes. They WILL swallow your parts never to be seen again. For a first time job, plan on about an hour unless you are quick..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

If you have an operator's guide the type of bulb and instructions on how to replace are in it. The process is a bit intimidating the first time but it is easy once you get accustomed to removing the Tupperware. All you will need is a 3/8 drive ratchet with long extension, a T30 Torx bit, a 10mm socket and a medium size crescent wrench to loosen the lock nut on the headlight adjusting cable. Take pictures with you phone as you disassemble so you put the headlight adjustment cable back in the correct hole. If the dealership couldn't find the part number, run from that place as fast as you can.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

you tube

Spyder Garage

And if you don't have an operator's manual, they are on the BRP website in the owners section.

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    First you bed you determine which light is out. They are different bulbs for each, they should be listed in the owners manual. The headlight is a 9005 and the fogs are H9. The Foglights have a switch to turn them on and off, your headlights are always on if the Spyder is running.
    Ann, just yesterday, I had to look up the part number for the fog light bulbs on my '15 RTL. It took a while, but I did find that the part # was an H8. After your response, I went back and checked the BRP site for the part # and it is an H8. I looked through the owner's manual and it does not list the bulb designation for either the headlights or fog lights. One of my LED fog lights decided to die.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Both the headlight and fog light are standard halogen bulbs easily found at any auto parts store at substantially lower price than from BRP, and best of all, they come sealed whereas if you buy from a BRP dealer they come in an easily opened box that a parts guy can pull out to show a customer and befoul a good bulb with a greasy paw print, thereby substantially shortening its life. If you have one headlight burned out, save yourself some time and extra work by replacing both at the same time. My first two each went out within a week of each other.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

We did a set Sunday. H9. The left is harder to do. Using the Spyder Murphy’s Law, I’m betting it is the left one on your bike. The air snorkel makes it hard. A broomstick to lever it over, and it goes in. Makes it easy!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    We did a set Sunday. H9. The left is harder to do. Using the Spyder Murphy’s Law, I’m betting it is the left one on your bike. The air snorkel makes it hard. A broomstick to lever it over, and it goes in. Makes it easy!
    I subscribe to O'Shea's Law (Murphy was an optimist). Actually, it was the right one that burned out, but I will replace both. Thanks for the tip about the broomstick!
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light

Spyder Garage

I did some more research, while the H8 and the H9 bulbs are interchangeable fit-wise, the big difference is in the wattage (read brightness). The H8 bulb is somewhere around 35 watts, while the H9 bulb is around 60 - 65 watts. Thanks for spurring me on!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    I did some more research, while the H8 and the H9 bulbs are interchangeable fit-wise, the big difference is in the wattage (read brightness). The H8 bulb is somewhere around 35 watts, while the H9 bulb is around 60 - 65 watts. Thanks for spurring me on!
    The bulb we buy has an H8/H9 designation not sure what wattage they are though.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I put LED's in. After replacing 3 headlights in 3 years. The LED's have a lifetime warranty. Fingers Crossed.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davehirst View Post
    I put LED's in. After replacing 3 headlights in 3 years. The LED's have a lifetime warranty. Fingers Crossed.
    What brand did you buy? All of the ones that I have seen only had a 2 year warranty!