Spyder Garage

Default Rox risers on 2020 RTL

Having installed bar risers on my Goldwing several years ago, I wasn't happy with the position of the bars on my new RTL. A suggestion on another post prompted me to email Rox risers about fitment. They list risers for the F3, but said they had no experience with the 2020 RT. But if I wished give it a try they would work with me for a return. So, I decided to be a Guinea pig and ordered part# 1R-P2PPS10K.
    The right speaker grill must be removed and a zip cut to allow enough slack in the cables. I used a small diagonal cutting pliers and was able to get it after a couple tries.20200513_140837.jpg
    The zip tie is at the tip of the screwdriver.
    Next remove the clamp and bars. Be careful when removing the bolts from the clamp as there are flat washers under each bolt head, easily misplaced. Don't ask how I know.
    Then remove the two inner cable clamps from the bars (T20) Torx bit.20200513_142636.jpg
    From this point, it's a matter of installing the risers in the top clamp and the bars in the risers.20200513_144013.jpg
    Rox suggests a torque setting of about 20 lb-ft. I went to 30.
    20200513_144026.jpg
    As can be seen in the last two pics, there is very limited fore and aft movement of the risers, but the bars can be rotated up and down quite a bit. The risers bring the bars back and up and I can now turn them to full lock without hitting my knees. It also gets a lot of the grip out of line of sight in the mirrors.
    Have only had one short ride (it won't quit raining) but i like the new position. More like my Goldwing with bar risers. Proof in the pudding will be a longer ride.
    To answer the question: with the discount Rox offered, total price was less than $100.
    Your results may vary.

Spyder Garage

Are the Rox risers cast metal or are they CNC machined?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

They appear to be machined. Definitely not cast. Very well made.

Spyder Garage

They are CNC'd billet.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

My next modification!

Spyder Garage

I tried the F3 short reach bars first, but didn't like them so I too put Rox Risers on my RTL.

But, there is a kind of "however". That being I replaced the RT top clamp with the F3 top clamp. I didn't like the limited connection between the Rox Risers with the clamping surface on the RT top mounting plate and the risers.

If you look at the RT top handle bar clamp you'll notice it has little 'wings' off to the side. Purely a styling exercise to make it look different from the F3, but those little wings sticking out of the sides limit the contact service of the clamp to the riser. For me personally I wasn't comfortable with that limited amount of contact surface, so I just bought a new top clamp.

BRP part # 709401904. It only cost an additional $16.00 or so, with free shipping from BRP due to the COVID discount.

Another thing I did was take some coarse grit sandpaper and scuffed up the clamping surfaces on the Rox Risers because they're very smooth anodized billet aluminum. I did this because I know from using Rox Risers on other motorcycles they can slip under heavy use (like putting your weight on the bars to get on and off).
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

So, you have full range of forward/back movement of the Rox risers with the F3 top clamp? And clearance to tighten down all four clamp bolts? I don't with my generic/ebay risers. Obviously shaped differently.

*** Ahhh, I see the difference. Rox risers have extended lower stems to fit into bikes with angled clamps, such as our (my F3s). ***

https://roxspeedfx.com/collections/a...ant=1187894173

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Chris, well done! At $16, it is a no brainer to get the F3 top clamp. More adjustability, too!! Sweet! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I'm more impressed with the APE Racing bar risers....has anyone here used them? They have double the clamping bolts 8 to Rox's 4.
    https://www.amazon.com/Pivoting-Hand...d_i=5285447011
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

I may order an F3 clamp also, but am going to see how I like them as they are. Should have mentioned that option in my original post. Thanks for the update and part#.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I'm more impressed with the APE Racing bar risers....has anyone here used them? They have double the clamping bolts 8 to Rox's 4.
    They won't work in angled clamps, as the lower stem isn't long enough to gain clearance. I know these don't ..
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1-8-28mm-...72.m2749.l2649

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    They won't work in angled clamps, as the lower stem isn't long enough to gain clearance. I know these don't ..
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1-8-28mm-...72.m2749.l2649
    By "stems" are you referring to the 2 cylindrical pieces that go where the handlebar used to be?

Spyder Garage

By "stems" are you referring to the 2 cylindrical pieces that go where the handlebar used to be?
    Correct..

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I'm considering adding the Rox risers also. It looks like the Rox clamps are slightly wider apart than the oem clamp where it holds the actual handle bars . I have a GPS mount that uses the top two mounting bolts of the original clamp. Are the new bar clamps set further apart? If so I would have to fab a bracket to keep my gps mount.
    [img]
    2020 RT Limited , Chaulk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleA View Post
    I'm considering adding the Rox risers also. It looks like the Rox clamps are slightly wider apart than the oem clamp where it holds the actual handle bars . I have a GPS mount that uses the top two mounting bolts of the original clamp. Are the new bar clamps set further apart? If so I would have to fab a bracket to keep my gps mount.
    I have the Spyder***** dual powerport on my OEM bars. The top mounting holes are only 3-1/4" wide. At that width, not only will you not have full range of motion the risers allow, but you also won't have good access to equally tighten down the (4) lower clamp bolts. No go for me..
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Can someone clarify - I see the original BRP component than is held in place with 4 bolts, but I can't tell what the risers are connected to.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Those will probably work, but they are Chinese knock offs of the original American made Rox risers. They are just rebranded and sold by APE racing. It's for that reason I picked the original.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

The risers have a cylindrical component that goes where the bars originally went and are held by the clamp. The bars are then clamped by the top part of the riser. Visit roxspeedfx.com for a picture of the risers and it is pretty well self explanatory.
    Last edited by Iceman47; 05-19-2020 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Clarification

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Those will probably work, but they are Chinese knock offs of the original American made Rox risers. They are just rebranded and sold by APE racing. It's for that reason I picked the original.
    They won't work without the extended stems. I know, I tried 2 different variations.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Iceman47, Doug here in Decatur, IL I sent you a PM a couple of days ago and haven't seen a reply back. No biggie maybe you are busy but if you read this check your messages