Spyder Garage

Default Missouri most likely helmet optional in August.

The Missouri General Assembly has passed a large transportation bill which includes helmet modification and will go to Governor Mike Parson. He will have 45 days to veto it (At this point this seems to be not likely, the bill is clean, and the Governor has said he will support helmet modification), sign it or do nothing. If he signs it or does nothing the bill will become law August 28. Anyone with a permit must wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle or motortricycle, those under 26 must still wear helmets, and medical insurance must be carried. Police cannot pull over a motorcyclist for the sole purpose of checking compliance of the age or insurance. I'm not advocating or condemning helmet use - I'll continue to wear one, but support the freedom to decide for oneself. Here's the official summary of the helmet modification portion of the bill:

HB 1963T
    MOTORCYCLE HELMET LAW Currently, every person operating or riding a motorcycle or motortricycle is required to wear protective headgear (Sections 302.020 and 302.026). This bill provides that persons under the age of 26 who are operating or riding as a passenger on a motorcycle or motortricycle shall wear a helmet when the vehicle is in motion. Similarly, a person who is 26 or older, is operating a motorcycle or motortricycle, and who has been issued an instruction permit shall wear a helmet when the vehicle is in motion. No political subdivision of the state shall impose a protective headgear requirement on the operator or passenger of a motorcycle or motortricycle. No person shall be stopped, inspected, or detained solely to determine compliance with these provisions (Section 302.020.2). The bill also provides that qualified operators who are 26 or older may operate a motorcycle or motortricycle without a helmet if he or she is covered by a health insurance policy or other form of insurance which will provide the person with medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of a motorcycle or motortricycle accident. Proof of such coverage shall be provided on request of law enforcement by showing a copy of the qualified operator's insurance card. No person shall be stopped, inspected, or detained solely to determine compliance with these provisions. (Section 302.026)
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Maine has been that way for along time. Only difference is our law is 18 and older no helmet required.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I also believe in the freedom of choice on many things. In AK no helmets were required for drivers, but passengers had to have them.

We choose to ride with helmets, all the time, and everywhere. Our choice.

Others choice...it is up to them with no criticism. Likewise on ATGATT.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In PA you have to have your license for two years before you get a choice. I wear one all the time. I don't agree with the ones that don't wear one but its their choice.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Florida helmets are optional for over 18 with insurance. We had no helmet laws when I first started riding. Some time in the late 60s, helmets became mandatory. In the year 2000 that changed to the optional, like it is now. I still always wear one. Been in a few bad wrecks when they were mandatory, that I am pretty sure I wouldn't have survived without the helmet. In 1982 the helmet didn't survive the wreck, but but my head did, just barely........... 750 Yamaha hit by a big Buick.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

In Arizona, helmets are not required. I always wear one. But, there are many groups of mostly V-twin riders who do not. Commonly referred to as "organ donors"..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

In Utah helmets are mandatory 16 and under. After that your choice. They did add a graduated license a while ago and there may be a helmet requirement there. I started wearing one when I started riding back in the 60's and still mostly do, but it's nice to have a choice.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

16, 18, and 21 have traditionally been the ages of maturity. Who the heck came up with 26 and why?
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used to live in Indiana where helmets were optional. I always wore one. I'm NC now where helmets are NOT optional. I still wear one. ATGATT, FTW. If you chose to go w/o a lid (or wear shorts or flip flops) be my guest just don't complain to me if you have an unintentional dismount and you're injured.

Spyder Garage

Mixed emotions on this one. I am not fond of the government telling us what to do. The entire premise of the founding of this nation was predicated on a VERY LIMITED government so as to maximize liberty for the people. That has been greatly eroded over the years. Though the 'Boiled Frog' myth has been debunked. The analogy still fits, I think.

Helmets and seat belts have saved untold numbers of lives. And many times that number of life long disabilities.

It's a tough call for me. But as much as it makes me cringe. I suppose I'd come down on the side of government for this one. I think if everyone were required to attend just 1 accident representing each of these 2 situations, sentiments might change a great deal.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-17-2020 at 07:00 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    16, 18, and 21 have traditionally been the ages of maturity. Who the heck came up with 26 and why?
    The provision that those under age 26 must wear helmets came from an amendment by Missouri Senator Dave Schatz. https://www.senate.mo.gov/mem26/ The reasoning was that younger people can be carried on their parents insurance until age 25. He has included this language to kill helmet modification in the past, but this time his bluff was called and the bill passed.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkryder View Post
    The provision that those under age 26 must wear helmets came from an amendment by Missouri Senator Dave Schatz. https://www.senate.mo.gov/mem26/ The reasoning was that younger people can be carried on their parents insurance until age 25. He has included this language to kill helmet modification in the past, but this time his bluff was called and the bill passed.
    Thanks for the answer. Just another law written by lawyers for other lawyers to discover a loophole.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!