Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seat Belts

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjkweber02 View Post
    I have to say, frankly, I am disappointed by the responses in this thread. Most of the responses are about seatbelts on a motorcycle. I did not ask about seatbelts on a motorcycle!! I have ridden two wheels for more than five decades and would not consider it. But a Spyder is not a motorcycle. It does not ride or handle like a motorcycle and most certainly would not behave like one in a collision. My (unsupported) feeling is that my F3L (with armrests, BTW) would most likely stay upright in a minor to moderate collision. Would staying with the machine reduce injuries? I don’t know, and without a real study, no one else does either. Gut feelings (my own included) are often wrong and are no substitute for hard evidence.

In any case, comments about sippy cups, tranquilizers, getting a car, etc. are not helpful and IMO, have no place on a forum that I expected be thoughtful and supportive. I was always told that there are no stupid questions and that an honest question deserves a thoughtful and reasoned response. Obviously not everyone here agrees with that.

I asked a simple question about seat belts on a Spyder. As a retired engineer, I thought it was a perfectly reasonable question. Grisly photos and sarcastic, demeaning, and insulting comments are not what I would have expected from a forum to support riders. Apparently, this subject is an emotional trigger for some people. If there is anything that will get in the way of rational discussion it is raw emotions.

I am not going to get into arguments or a flame war, so this will be my last comment on the subject.
    You provided a rather elaborate response to those who responded to what seemed to be a very simplistic question with some very simple answers. I am sorry that you chose not to explain what you were after in your first post but chose to be critical of those who responded after the fact.

Your question did not invite rational response.

Pennyrick
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

In a minor to moderate collision would staying with the machine reduce injuries? I don’t know, and without a real study, no one else does either. Gut feelings (my own included) are often wrong and are no substitute for hard evidence.
    From mild to wild there are plenty that have had the same thought process as yourself,thinking outside the box is what gets stuff done so...……………...
    Being the guinea pig calls for a risk profile your wife may not fit is the problem as I see it.Crash test labs are big bucks operations so we will probably never know.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

I'm sure someone has thought and tried to install seatbelts on a spyder or some variation of one. My first inclination on my first ride was that it was the dynamics and feel for the rider and passenger to be pushed somewhat unnaturally during cornering of a spyder. One gets acclimated quickly as does the passenger. I have seen airbags installed and tested on 2 wheel bikes...I believe there are some bikes that are equipped with airbags as well but not sure. I have not seen any crash dummie demos of a seatbelted 2 wheel or spyder. It would be interesting. However without intensive testing and thoughtful analysis none of us can factually answer this question but in that instance go with your gut . I have armrests for the passenger and squeeze my thighs when I need to during tight corners. I'd be reluctant to be seatbelted.
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

For many years, there has been a model of the Goldwing that comes with an air bag.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Wow! I think it might be time to take a deep breath and relax! Maybe too much Covid-19 incarceration has had an effect. Personally, I didn't see any of the issues you lament. Other than the crash pictures. Granted, a bit harsh. But posted in good faith to make a point.

Though not 2 wheels, the Spyder is considered a 'Motorcycle'. And though there are differences, as you point out. Seat belts on a Spyder are a bad idea for the same basic reasons that they are a bad idea on a 2 wheeled vehicle.

It is always good to be sure that you actually WANT meaningful answers before you ask the question. Hopefully, we can get this train back on the tracks. And just chalk this one up as an 'Unnecessary Derailment'. As I think the consensus here is that there are better, and safer ways of helping your wife feel more secure on the Spyder. A consensus for which I whole-heartedly agree.

This, I think, is what we all assumed that you wanted to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAomAwIwxm8
    Baja Ron has the right analysis of this "situation"

Spyder Garage

hell no
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    hell no
    Tell us how you really feel Joe.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm with Cruzr Joe, No. It doesn't matter if you are strapped in or not; this is an open vehicle and you are going to get hurt in an accident. The only benefit a seat belt would have is to help keep your wife from falling off when she goes to sleep
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Seatbelt bad, wind in your face good (on a bike or trike that is).

Spyder Garage

"But a Spyder is not a motorcycle." wmjkweber02

First to answer your question , no I would never want or use a seatbelt on my motorcycle .

My Spyder and all Spyders are Motorcycles . They are tricycles with a motor so in the most basic english that makes them Motorcycles . Just like a bicycle with a motor is a Motorcycle.Attaching a motor to a unicycle would still be considered a Motorcycle ( totally awesome and scary ) but still a motorcycle .
    2019 f3-s , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is actually illegal in ny state to strap any rider to the motorcycle.
    Basically, seatbelts may only be used if installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle after meeting federal motor vehicle safety standards. You may not fabricate your own safety belts or attach a set to your vehicle if not originally equipped.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    It is actually illegal in ny state to strap any rider to the motorcycle.
    Basically, seatbelts may only be used if installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle after meeting federal motor vehicle safety standards. You may not fabricate your own safety belts or attach a set to your vehicle if not originally equipped.
    That makes no sense, but my son lives in NY state and a lot of the laws there make no sense. If there is a total ban on installing seat belts in any vehicle not originally equipped with them, it means that almost all the classic cars that have been preserved or restored would not be allowed to install seat belts for safety. There must be some provision that allows seat belts in the cars from the 50s and early 60s. I owned several cars that were built before seat belts were factory equipment. Cars up to 1964 or 1965 did not come with seat belts. Seat belts were not mandated in new cars until 1968.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PGDoug View Post

First to answer your question , no I would never want or use a seatbelt on my motorcycle .

My Spyder and all Spyders are Motorcycles . They are tricycles with a motor so in the most basic english that makes them Motorcycles . Just like a bicycle with a motor is a Motorcycle.Attaching a motor to a unicycle would still be considered a Motorcycle ( totally awesome and scary ) but still a motorcycle .
    Au Contraire! The word motorcycle originated in the 1890's and was short for motorized bicycle ( https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=motorcycle ). I know, my registration says motorcycle. I guess they did not want to start a new classification. This is good, because it means we can ride in the carpool lane. But if the state really considered it a motorcycle they would require a motorcycle license to ride it. Which they do not, at least here in California. At the Can-Am training course they were quite adamant the Spyder is not a motorcycle. In the Spyder owners manual, BRP constantly refers to the Spyder as being different from a motorcycle. The Spyder is horizontally stable, while a motorcycle is not (i.e. it will fall over). The difference is huge.

Finally, put a body on a Spyder and you get the Slingshot, which is also a tricycle configuration. I don't think anyone would consider that a motorcycle. There have been numerous tricycle configuration vehicles over the years. I don't think any of them were referred to as motorcycles.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-21-2020 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added info - PA Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Au Contraire! The word motorcycle originated in the 1890's and was short for motorized bicycle ( https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=motorcycle ). I know, my registration says motorcycle. I guess they did not want to start a new classification. This is good, because it means we can ride in the carpool lane. But if the state really considered it a motorcycle they would require a motorcycle license to ride it. Which they do not, at least here in California. At the Can-Am training course they were quite adamant the Spyder is not a motorcycle. In the Spyder owners manual, BRP constantly refers to the Spyder as being different from a motorcycle. The Spyder is horizontally stable, while a motorcycle is not (i.e. it will fall over). The difference is huge.

Finally, put a body on a Spyder and you get the Slingshot, which is also a tricycle configuration. I don't think anyone would consider that a motorcycle. There have been numerous tricycle configuration vehicles over the years. I don't think any of them were referred to as motorcycles.
    That is only California. In most other states the 3 wheel motorcycles do require a motorcycle license. In some states you can ride either 2 or 3 wheels with a motorcycle certification, and they also have a 3 wheel certification which only allows operation of 3 wheelers. It is dependent on state laws.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Me thinks this thread may have run it's course?
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post

+1

xxxxx
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    That makes no sense, but my son lives in NY state and a lot of the laws there make no sense. If there is a total ban on installing seat belts in any vehicle not originally equipped with them, it means that almost all the classic cars that have been preserved or restored would not be allowed to install seat belts for safety. There must be some provision that allows seat belts in the cars from the 50s and early 60s. I owned several cars that were built before seat belts were factory equipment. Cars up to 1964 or 1965 did not come with seat belts. Seat belts were not mandated in new cars until 1968.
    Retrofit seat belt systems, approved by the DOT, can, and have been installed on vehicles that came without seat belts. This, I believe, applies only to cars manufactured before seat belts were mandatory. I think the install must be done by a licensed and certified technician. So, it is not illegal, at least in some cases, to install a seat belt system on a vehicle that did not come with them. However, I would very much doubt this applies to anything with a 'Motorcycle' designation.

My feeling is, with all the time and effort invested into 'Safety' these days. That every conceivable option has been investigated. Seat belts probably being very high on the list. The fact that no one in the industry is even discussing seat belts for motorcycles probably answers this question.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Airbag jacket may fit the bill to make your wife feel safer.

I can remember in the first two years of SL’s there were a few members checking on them. So, it’s not just your wife who wants the feeling of safety

Spyder Garage

Let it die, he has closed his ears to us, before he got his first hell no!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Not yet. No one has mentioned Hitler sot far. Oops. I just did so you are right!

Spyder Garage

Well here in The Netherlands seat belts are mandatory if you like to drive without a helmet. Does that make sense, not in my view but hey it just shows that there are different views all over the place.
    2020 F3S , Matte black

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PGDoug View Post

My Spyder and all Spyders are Motorcycles . They are tricycles with a motor so in the most basic english that makes them Motorcycles . Just like a bicycle with a motor is a Motorcycle. Attaching a motor to a unicycle would still be considered a Motorcycle ( totally awesome and scary ) but still a motorcycle .
    Unicycle.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

YIKES!!

Spyder Garage

Oh hell yes
    2019 f3-s , Blue