Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seat Belts

Spyder Garage

Default Seat Belts

Has anyone installed them? My co-rider thinks she would feel safer with one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjkweber02 View Post
    Ask if she would rather be strapped onto one of these or thrown clear?

pennyrick
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Without a roll cage it would be purely for some medical condition that called for it but even then not a good plan.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Another NO vote for seat belt(s). If your co-rider thinks she'd feel safer with one it's time to consider a Slingshot IMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

No, and don't ever say anything about seat belts on motorcycles where anyone from National Highway Traffic Safety Administration might hear you. Whisper it if you have to say it. Often, common sense does not enter into decisions made by some agencies.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I remember a few years ago, someone posed (on another forum) that his state had a law that if your motorcycle had seat belts, you didn't have to wear a helmet. So he installed the seatbelts so he could ride without a helmet. The law didn't say you had to use the belts, just that you had to have them.

Spyder Garage

Does the name Joan Claybrook and her safety motorcycle not strike terror in your heart? Another example of Jimmah Carter's weird administration.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=joan...WxxbTYbi89c1M:
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pennyrick View Post
    Ask if she would rather be strapped onto one of these or thrown clear?

pennyrick
    Exactly what I was thinking! I hope they never pass legislation that requires seatbelts for motorcycles.....I'm going to be a criminal!

Spyder Garage

My wife sleeps back there during twisties or POURING DOWN RAIN. I don't even have to give her Valium, but perhaps you should, or perhaps wine in her sippy cup. Happy wife, happy Spydering.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I wasn't gonna, but I feel I must...

Sure, she might feel 'safer' if she's strapped on top of a few hundred kilos of machinery, fully exposed & unable to escape the potential damage from being hit by another vehicle &/or the scenery.... But seriously, all she hasta do is look at the injuries usually incurred in motorcycle accidents, then multiply the amount of skin & flesh that'd get ground away as a result of those by about 1000% if she gets trapped between the tarmac & a sliding Spyder!! I HAVE SEEN what happens when this 'strapped onto the top of a tumbling &/or sliding motorcycle' thing occurs, and I still have nightmares about it! I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!!

So wmjk, if YOU value her life, well being, &/or appearance AT ALL, then you've gotta talk her out of even dreaming about fitting seatbelts to a Spyder.... unless you also fit a full-on Roll Cage too!

Ps: my Missus sleeps back there too, with absolutely no concerns or feeling of ever even getting close to falling off!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2020 at 05:49 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

No---- If she wants seat belts---- get a car. A nice convertible sports car maybe. Not a or any motorcycle.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife has also take many naps on the back of our two-wheeled motorcycles. Starting back in 1979.

All the bikes were full-dressers, so she had a trunk to lean on for stability. Our current Goldwing also has arm rests, which just adds to her stability.

Since she got back on her own two wheels in about 2004, she hasn't been on the back of my bike much, and now she has her Spyder, so no more napping.

Please cancel the idea of seatbelts. If she wants a little bit of protection, look into an airbag suit.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default seat belts

with all the others dissenters ..... very foolish ......... However I have attached ( sort of ) a young rider to ME ( not the machine ) while driving my Spyder. Also this was done for less than highway speeds ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

The first thing I have to ask, is what are you riding and dose she have a back rest and arm rest? My wife would not ride with me with out them, we have gone on test rides on other bikes and that is the first thing she'll say when we get off is, it would need arm rests! But on the other hand , I have to tell you I bought my bike from a older couple from New Hampshire, and it had a seat belt in the rear for the lady that rode on it! She had a habit of taking a little nap back there I guess and when she felt the need for a rest she would hook up!! That was the first thing I had removed from the bike!! A nice set of arm rests that wrap around would make her feel a ton safer I would think! Good Luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The first thing I thought of:

osha cowboy.jpg
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Another NO vote for seat belt(s). If your co-rider thinks she'd feel safer with one it's time to consider a Slingshot IMO.
    On one of my other Dangerous Vehicle Forums (Factory Five Racing) when someone goes out on a Limb with "IS IT SAVE"? I normally suggest a Volvo.

Spyder Garage

Safety is our primary concern. We DO NOT recommend that you fasten a seatbelt, nor should you attach yourself to the motorcycle in any manner, as that may interfere with an emergency exit. Each motorcycle has been equipped with a 360° emergency exit system. In the event of an emergency, and, for passengers, at the direction of your rider, please leave the motorcycle in the direction of your choice.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

Did you nice the "Safety Motorcycle" in post 7 steered via the REAR WHEEL? That must have been thrilling to ride.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Another no vote. The posters above have mentioned most of my reasons. Drive safe.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not knowing what model you are riding, I would #1 never put seat belts on a bike and #2 if she feels like she is flying off
    in the turns, Install arm rests. Your wife will love them
    Spyder.jpgSpyder.jpg

Spyder Garage

I have to say, frankly, I am disappointed by the responses in this thread. Most of the responses are about seatbelts on a motorcycle. I did not ask about seatbelts on a motorcycle!! I have ridden two wheels for more than five decades and would not consider it. But a Spyder is not a motorcycle. It does not ride or handle like a motorcycle and most certainly would not behave like one in a collision. My (unsupported) feeling is that my F3L (with armrests, BTW) would most likely stay upright in a minor to moderate collision. Would staying with the machine reduce injuries? I don’t know, and without a real study, no one else does either. Gut feelings (my own included) are often wrong and are no substitute for hard evidence.

In any case, comments about sippy cups, tranquilizers, getting a car, etc. are not helpful and IMO, have no place on a forum that I expected be thoughtful and supportive. I was always told that there are no stupid questions and that an honest question deserves a thoughtful and reasoned response. Obviously not everyone here agrees with that.

I asked a simple question about seat belts on a Spyder. As a retired engineer, I thought it was a perfectly reasonable question. Grisly photos and sarcastic, demeaning, and insulting comments are not what I would have expected from a forum to support riders. Apparently, this subject is an emotional trigger for some people. If there is anything that will get in the way of rational discussion it is raw emotions.

I am not going to get into arguments or a flame war, so this will be my last comment on the subject.

Spyder Garage

It seems to me no one here attempted to attack you. You did not mention seatbelts specifically for a motorcycle...but since this is a Spyder forum...most were right in assuming so.

I see you clarified you were addressing Spyders though in your last paragraph above.

It COULD look like you may have been trying to start an argument...but that is just MY opinion.

You got a broad spectrum of answers, and I don't see anyone out of line. Just my .02

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I would not want to be strapped to anything that only weighs a half ton and might be going up against 2.5 to 3.5 ton, or more, machine in a wreck.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Seatbelts without a roll cage is looking for trouble. You don't want to be attached to a Spyder if it flips over.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have to say, frankly, I am disappointed by the responses in this thread. Most of the responses are about seatbelts on a motorcycle. I did not ask about seatbelts on a motorcycle!! I have ridden two wheels for more than five decades and would not consider it. But a Spyder is not a motorcycle. It does not ride or handle like a motorcycle and most certainly would not behave like one in a collision. My (unsupported) feeling is that my F3L (with armrests, BTW) would most likely stay upright in a minor to moderate collision. Would staying with the machine reduce injuries? I don’t know, and without a real study, no one else does either. Gut feelings (my own included) are often wrong and are no substitute for hard evidence.

In any case, comments about sippy cups, tranquilizers, getting a car, etc. are not helpful and IMO, have no place on a forum that I expected be thoughtful and supportive. I was always told that there are no stupid questions and that an honest question deserves a thoughtful and reasoned response. Obviously not everyone here agrees with that.

I asked a simple question about seat belts on a Spyder. As a retired engineer, I thought it was a perfectly reasonable question. Grisly photos and sarcastic, demeaning, and insulting comments are not what I would have expected from a forum to support riders. Apparently, this subject is an emotional trigger for some people. If there is anything that will get in the way of rational discussion it is raw emotions.

I am not going to get into arguments or a flame war, so this will be my last comment on the subject.
    Wow! I think it might be time to take a deep breath and relax! Maybe too much Covid-19 incarceration has had an effect. Personally, I didn't see any of the issues you lament. Other than the crash pictures. Granted, a bit harsh. But posted in good faith to make a point.

Though not 2 wheels, the Spyder is considered a 'Motorcycle'. And though there are differences, as you point out. Seat belts on a Spyder are a bad idea for the same basic reasons that they are a bad idea on a 2 wheeled vehicle.

It is always good to be sure that you actually WANT meaningful answers before you ask the question. Hopefully, we can get this train back on the tracks. And just chalk this one up as an 'Unnecessary Derailment'. As I think the consensus here is that there are better, and safer ways of helping your wife feel more secure on the Spyder. A consensus for which I whole-heartedly agree.

This, I think, is what we all assumed that you wanted to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAomAwIwxm8
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-17-2020 at 04:59 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...