Thread: Battery change

Spyder Garage

Default Battery change

I have a 2019 RT limited. I have worked on motorcycles for 40 years and have never had so much trouble swapping out a battery. So for it has taken most of two days not counting time spent trying to locate it. How come Spyder's don't come with a manual? Anybody have any tips?

Spyder Garage

Rather than asking why they DON'T have a manual, I'd suggest you probably should be asking why haven't you got the manual that all Spyders SHOULD leave the factory with!! Surely your dealer went thru all the 'familiarisation' stuff & either gave you the manual or showed you where the manual is stashed??

Anyhow, if your battery is still in the same place that my 2013 RT's manual is, which is down behind a panel in the back wall of the frunk, just below the two fuse boxes (actually, it's the same panel my manual is sitting in a little placcy bag & velcroed to!! ) then once the panel is off and the front clip is released, you might need to raise the front edge of the battery juuust enough to clear the lip on the tray & then slide it forward so you can remove the terminals & take the battery out. But I must admit I haven't removed a 2019 battery.... yet!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My 2018 is the same as yours. The battery isn't too bad, as long as you have the super double top secret handshake. By now you know it's in the frunk, accessible by removing the 2 Torx screws from the cover. These are the standard size for the rest of the Spyder. Next you remove the negative cable (always first) followed by the positive. I believe these are 10mm. The next step is to remove the rubber retainer and top plate. This is where the trouble is, as far as I'm concerned. The top plate fits in some slots, and it is a blind operation. You kind of put the hook tabs to the back, raise the front side, and slide it upward until one or both of the hook tabs find the slot. Once you land one, the other will follow pretty easily. Getting the battery in and out is a matter of tilting the top of the battery in or out first, all the while holding the wires out of the way. Practice the top plate with the battery out a couple of times, it gets easier the more you do it. You may be able to get the battery out without removing the top plate, but mine came out with the battery.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It will be in the front of your frunk. remove the two torx screws to remove the cover and it will expose the battery. You will need to unzip the liner and look towards the bottom back of the frunk. The manuals are normally stored in the pouch in the frunk as mentioned above by Peter and Hogrider.

If you didn't get a manual from your dealer then go back and ask for one.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the quick answers and tips. I will look for the manual. The dealer never went through a lot stuff. I guess hed a lunch date.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to Spyderlovers!
    I always search SL before starting any mod to look for helpful hints/tips that will make things go as smooth as possible.
    Hopefully you'll get your battery out and back in with no more problems...... but if you run into a snag don't be afraid to ask a question....there are a lot of good people here willing to help out.

My two cents,
    P.W.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL
    LED head lights, LED fog lights, Lidlocks, Brake light kit, Sway Bar, J&S Jack, Cat Delete, Akrapovic silencer, Idler pulley Kit, Gold Drain Plugs, Magic Mirrors, Bumpskid, Tires, Centermatic balancers, Wick-it Stage 1 tune, Convex mirrors, EBC Brake Pads, EBC brake Rotors, Speed Bleeders, M-2 Custom Shocks, Odyssey Battery, Tinted Windshield, Windshield Arm, Gps Ultimate Seat, Dual air Horns, Modesta BC05 Ceramic Coating, Redline 10w40 motorcycle oil, BRP Passenger arm rest, BRP hitch, Syderpop rock guard 2015 Freedom Trailer

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all your help. I got it back in and all closed up. I found the manual. It was well hidden. Took it to the gas station an added fresh gas. Runs great. IT FELT GREAT GETTING BACK ON AND RIDING!
    We bought the RT last year and did not get to ride it much. Aug. was my last ride. I came down with kidney failure and damn near died. The docs keep me alive and am doing well. Still working at getting my strength back. I turned 80 last Tues.
    Thanks again folks.

Spyder Garage

Wow 80..... good for you!

Stay safe,
    P.W.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL
    LED head lights, LED fog lights, Lidlocks, Brake light kit, Sway Bar, J&S Jack, Cat Delete, Akrapovic silencer, Idler pulley Kit, Gold Drain Plugs, Magic Mirrors, Bumpskid, Tires, Centermatic balancers, Wick-it Stage 1 tune, Convex mirrors, EBC Brake Pads, EBC brake Rotors, Speed Bleeders, M-2 Custom Shocks, Odyssey Battery, Tinted Windshield, Windshield Arm, Gps Ultimate Seat, Dual air Horns, Modesta BC05 Ceramic Coating, Redline 10w40 motorcycle oil, BRP Passenger arm rest, BRP hitch, Syderpop rock guard 2015 Freedom Trailer

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Removal can be a B*tch ...... I learned this when I had to change mine in a 14RT ..... So prior to putting the new one in, I put a few wraps of some thin nylon " packing rope " .... like what Home Depot gives out to to folks who need something to secure the load .... it works similar to the straps that come on all Auto batteries today ..... Mike