Spyder Garage

Default 60, 70, even 80 mph

ok I have been only riding a spyder for 4 years, I have always had some motorcycle in our garage. At the time I picked up the spyder I had a Vulcan 900 (08). We are rv travelers and we have been towing our SMART CAR all over the country and taking it to tour the areas. Four years ago we had been camping in Pa and next to us this couple had a BMW cycle and 2012 Spyder RTL. While talking to them found out that they had been life long riders and they picked up this spyder after his wife crashed and due to knee issues she moved to a spyder. And after I drove it a good amount of miles that week I said that I would be willing to buy it when we could drive up to Michigan to pick it up.
    So here we have now traveled the better part of this country and saw so wonderful sights. Wife picked up wanting to drive her own so we know have this 2012 RTL and our new 2019 F3L. So I have still had this 2008 Vulcan crying each time we pulled the spyder out. In 2019 I didn't once take the bike OUT, so he the start of the year when I parked the 2019 f3 inside my wife said YOU have do something with the Vulcan. Head fell low as I knew this was coming....
    So I said OK.... So I rolled it out cleaned the dust off and took it for a spin to empty gas that was sitting for a year and Fill it with fresh stuff... purred like always and here is where the trouble started.
    I work some 40 miles away with 35 of those right on hwy and interstate. Before the spyder I didn't drive the bike to work. But with the spyder I would drive any day that over 40 deg. And if rain was due that day I didn't let that stop me if it wasn't raining GOING to work.
    So for the past 2 months I have been riding the Vulcan to work each available day.
    FACT, it gets about 45 miles a gal. not that that really matters.
    Fact, its rather more relaxing at hwy speed, I mean the ride is harder on those damn repair pumps on the vulcan. But the sheer joy to ride at any speed is just as calming as it was my whole life... Wind might be something that the spyder has against it. It hate wind from the side and even going into the wind. The 2 wheel vulcan like any bike is easy to control and relax around trucks wind tunnel.
    Dont get me wrong I love our 2 spyders and the wife loves to ride her own. She after 25 years never once rode on a 2 wheel motorcycle with me.

For those who still have a 2 wheel that they able to take out do you feel the same...
    2012 , java

Spyder Garage

NOt so much. I fly the V-Max when I can and take the out also. I certainly can carry more in the RT... BUT.... The V-Boost of the Max overshadows anything the has to offer ( other than carrying my wife, groceries, cutting a sharp turn, hard braking, going on long trips, ect.)

So suffice it to say----- I'm lucky to have them both. I'm sure the Vulcan doesn't cost much to keep------ so keep it.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Interesting post. My "other" bike is a 2015 Vulcan 900, purchased new in 2017. This is my second one. The previous one was about four years older. I traded that one off for a new Spyder for Linda. My hip was bothering me and I could no longer support that 700 # plus.

Got the hip fixed, got the current Vulcan. Both are LTD versions so they are dressed with windshield, sissy bar, and floorboards. I added extras to both. I LOVE my Vulcan. Also get 45 miles per gallon, but it don't matter either.

I don't ride it a lot...but it gets ridden a couple times a week these days. Almost 7K miles on it now. Going to give it a ride today.

Thought of selling it a while back, but guess I have changed my mind. As Lew said above, its paid for, so might as well keep it.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-16-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Two wheels are definitely more fun than three in some instances. I find that it's a lot more challenging to ride as well. I took my Harley out last week after riding the Spyder for weeks, and it was *almost* like the time I rode her for the very first time.

That said, ain't no way I'm selling my Harley anytime soon....
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

My 2 wheel ride is a 2006 Suzuki M109R. The best 2 wheeled street machine I've ever owned. It has been neglected quite a bit over the last few years. Though I can say the same about my Spyder as well. Just too much going on to get much riding time in these days.

I enjoy both about the same amount. They are bolt fun. Just a different kind of fun. I can look at the scenery much more on the Spyder. You just can't afford to look around much on 2 wheels. Especially, in the really scenic rides like The Blue Ridge Parkway, etc.

I found that most all of my 'Getting Pushed Around' feeling in cross winds, passing semis on the highway, etc., was solved with a sway bar upgrade. Then, upgrading to a better front shock helped a bit more.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

‘06 RoadStar 1700 here 57BB5F56-79A0-4488-B04F-BB99718CE492.jpg enjoy both almost evenly.(primary) carries more & have visited more states on it. Do attempt keep a rotation schedule Every 2tanks of gas on spyder :1 on Star also good having a spare while 1 is down or in the shop (unfortunately :spyder2 has been ) most convenient when a bud passed the class got his endorsement but had no bike. Was able to “rent” the Star & we made few outings
    Hard part is taming the FARKLITUS thankfully had good start on the Star Before getting

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerrydonna View Post
    ok I have been only riding a spyder for 4 years, I have always had some motorcycle in our garage. At the time I picked up the spyder I had a Vulcan 900 (08). We are rv travelers and we have been towing our SMART CAR all over the country and taking it to tour the areas. Four years ago we had been camping in Pa and next to us this couple had a BMW cycle and 2012 Spyder RTL. While talking to them found out that they had been life long riders and they picked up this spyder after his wife crashed and due to knee issues she moved to a spyder. And after I drove it a good amount of miles that week I said that I would be willing to buy it when we could drive up to Michigan to pick it up.
    So here we have now traveled the better part of this country and saw so wonderful sights. Wife picked up wanting to drive her own so we know have this 2012 RTL and our new 2019 F3L. So I have still had this 2008 Vulcan crying each time we pulled the spyder out. In 2019 I didn't once take the bike OUT, so he the start of the year when I parked the 2019 f3 inside my wife said YOU have do something with the Vulcan. Head fell low as I knew this was coming....
    So I said OK.... So I rolled it out cleaned the dust off and took it for a spin to empty gas that was sitting for a year and Fill it with fresh stuff... purred like always and here is where the trouble started.
    I work some 40 miles away with 35 of those right on hwy and interstate. Before the spyder I didn't drive the bike to work. But with the spyder I would drive any day that over 40 deg. And if rain was due that day I didn't let that stop me if it wasn't raining GOING to work.
    So for the past 2 months I have been riding the Vulcan to work each available day.
    FACT, it gets about 45 miles a gal. not that that really matters.
    Fact, its rather more relaxing at hwy speed, I mean the ride is harder on those damn repair pumps on the vulcan. But the sheer joy to ride at any speed is just as calming as it was my whole life... Wind might be something that the spyder has against it. It hate wind from the side and even going into the wind. The 2 wheel vulcan like any bike is easy to control and relax around trucks wind tunnel.
    Dont get me wrong I love our 2 spyders and the wife loves to ride her own. She after 25 years never once rode on a 2 wheel motorcycle with me.

For those who still have a 2 wheel that they able to take out do you feel the same...
    In a word.....YES !

Spyder Garage

I've got two RT's. One is the spyder, the other is a BMW R1200RT. I tend to take the spyder on the trips where there will be a lot of stop and go like commuting to work. Of course I havent had to do that in a while. Today I took the 2 wheel RT on a ride out through Smithfield, Surrey and down to Wakefield and back, about 95 miles.

The RT is our toad, we have taken it out as far as Ohio behind the camper. Now that the parks are opening up, we'll be taking it out again in June for a couple of weeks. So they both get their use.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Our Spyder RT is our two up touring rig. When I travel alone or just go out for a ride alone I take two wheels.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I now have 3 bikes and my wife has 1. My main 2wheeler is a 2014 Suzuki V Strom and it sucks in the wind compared to my wife’s F3L or my Ryker Rally. If I know it will be windy I take my Ryker or the F3L. If the wind blows you around on the RT maybe you need a heavier sway bar or an alignment. I have a Bajaron sway bar on my Rally and the F3L. No fighting the wind for me.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Interesting post. I just bought my first Spyder RTL last year. Took me a long time to get comfortable on it. I guess I was thinking it was going to flop on its side any time, especially on corners. Now that i've put 3000 miles on it I find it really fun to drive, even pushing it on corners. But like all on this post have said, I still can't bring myself to sell my 2012 Street Glide. Both are fun in completely different ways. I'll now explain to my wife that its normal to keep them both everyone does it. Don't be surprised if you get some hate mail from her, LOL.
    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

After selling my H-D a couple months ago, I am now without a 2 wheel m/c for the first time in almost 50 years !! And, oddly enough, I'm not missing them. The Spyder is all I really need ............. for now

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I have thoughts of selling my 2013 Vstar 1300 - but just can't seem to come to grips with releasing it. I still get a thrill out of riding it. Two different rides and I love both.

Spyder Garage

you most know who we are, we live in Suffolk but you can find a motorcycle many days at Store in harbor view area...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    I've got two RT's. One is the spyder, the other is a BMW R1200RT. I tend to take the spyder on the trips where there will be a lot of stop and go like commuting to work. Of course I havent had to do that in a while. Today I took the 2 wheel RT on a ride out through Smithfield, Surrey and down to Wakefield and back, about 95 miles.

The RT is our toad, we have taken it out as far as Ohio behind the camper. Now that the parks are opening up, we'll be taking it out again in June for a couple of weeks. So they both get their use.
    2012 , java

Spyder Garage

Well I have tradition when I get a new bike my son gets the old one and his give his old one (which I gave him years ago) to my granddaughters husband . So the family that rides together has more fun.
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold