Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 87 gas

Spyder Garage

Default 87 gas

OK.....Whats damage could happen if I run 87 gas? Has ANYONE EVER had a problem runnin it? This is the 991 engine. I am runnin 89 in it now without any problems. TYIA

Spyder Garage

I'll defer to the petroleum engineers for the scientific explanation but, as I understand it, if you don't notice knocking and pinging then 87 octane isn't harmful. Higher octane fuel will reduce knocking and pinging (that's the main purpose) although it will not, despite what some may say, result in more horsepower (at least without some other noxious additives). Many new vehicles recommend a specific octane rating fuel but generally add the caveat that lower octane can be used. There are some places in the U.S. where octane choices are limited and it's a case of taking what's offered or pushing your vehicle. My two cents regarding the matter.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    OK.....Whats damage could happen if I run 87 gas? Has ANYONE EVER had a problem runnin it? This is the 990 engine. I am runnin 89 in it now without any problems. TYIA
    Except for brief testing purposes, my two V-twins and one triple have been run on 87 * with ethyl ..... 100,000 + miles ..... none ever had an issue, and my triple still doesn't at 45,000 mi...... The BRP knock sensor prevents pinging if it ever needs to ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Gasoline burns and the higher the octane, the slower the burn. Using a lower octane than specified and getting no pinging/knocking is much better a scenario than using premium fuel (91-93 octane) where 87 is specified.
    The old wive's tale that the higher the octane, the better the performance is hog wash. That can actually reduce performance.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

You can use 87 octane without doing any harm to the engine. The computer will compensate for the lower octane by retarding ignition. It is less than optimum, especially in hot weather. But it won't hurt anything either.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Baja Ron is right on.

For years, I put high test in all my Spyders. That was 90 octane with no ethanol. Alaska.

About four years ago I decided to go with the bottom grade...87 octane, no ethanol, once again AK. I noticed no difference in performance.

Have been using it ever since. It has been used in our 2011 (990), the 2014 RT (1330), and now the 2019 F3L (1330). Last summer we moved to Arkansas. Here the 87 has 10% ethanol. There is no winter shut down here, so I don't worry about the gas going bad.

I find no issues with either of my Spyders running on 87 with 10% ethanol.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING...YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have used 87 almost all the time in an 09 RS, 12 RT, and 17 F3, with a cumulative mileage well over 100K with zero issues, whether hot, cold, prairie or mountains, didn’t matter.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

If the bike has a knock sensor is there a way to advance the timing on it a few of degrees? If it were too much the sensor would cut it back. or use premium. 4 degrees on my Vision made a big difference.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    If the bike has a knock sensor is there a way to advance the timing on it a few of degrees? If it were too much the sensor would cut it back. or use premium. 4 degrees on my Vision made a big difference.
    IMHO , I think you are asking for trouble heading in that area..... It took Bosche a couple of years to get the computers to where they are now .... Remember it was a BRP engineer, who decided to adjust the DESS module in 2014 and look what happened. It became one of BRP's worst issues..... My mantra has been " if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it " .....this has served me well over decades ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

BRP recommends 91 octane+ in their Ski Doo four strokes if 87 non-eth. is not available. I have been running 87 with 10% for a few years now, except the last tank full, where I will put 91 eth-free in it along with some fuel treatment for summer storage.

I made the change after I put up a poll on Doo Talk and found that a vast majority use 87 with ethanol, some for years. Looks like the same deal here. Enthusiasts who love and baby their machines come to forums like this. If you guys are ok with 87 / 10% eth, I am too!

Good thing because high test gas is 80 cents - $1 more then regular unleaded.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    ... Higher octane fuel will reduce knocking and pinging (that's the main purpose) although it will not, despite what some may say, result in more horsepower (at least without some other noxious additives). ...
    The ONLY time higher-octane results in more horsepower is when the engine is built up with super-high compression that absatively, posilutely HAS to have the higher octane, but also has a computer to adjust the spark timing. If you put in lower-octane fuel, the computer will de-tune the engine, resulting in less power. Putting in higher-octane fuel will restore the original power, or, in other words "make more power than low-octane fuel".

I am wondering a bit if that is not the case with the Spyders. High-octane fuel <might> result in a bit more power (the full 115 HP), while lower-octane fuel might only yield about 100-105 HP (which is still quite adequate). Has anyone tried to do any dyno runs? Are dyno runs even possible, without upsetting Nanny?

Spyder Garage

Somewhere in antiquity, there was a discussion about this very topic. As was referenced, the engineer's determination of octane requirements, and balancing this with tailpipe emissions. I have run all grades of fuel in my '11 RTS and have yet to see any detrimental effects. Your results, of course, can vary. Oh, and this is over 66K miles. At that, being one who reads owner's manuals, there is a line and one line only in my 2017 Ecoboost F150 that states , in effect, 87 octane is permissible for the fuel source, but for best results from the Ecoboost system, especially when towing, 91 octane or better should be used.
    As always with a grain of salt.......
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Gasoline burns and the higher the octane, the slower the burn. Using a lower octane than specified and getting no pinging/knocking is much better a scenario than using premium fuel (91-93 octane) where 87 is specified.
    The old wive's tale that the higher the octane, the better the performance is hog wash. That can actually reduce performance.
    Sort of.

Premium fuel is more resistant to compression ignition than regular. It does have a slower burn rate but it's not really a factor in this engine. Using 87 in the Spyder and getting no ping or knock is because the ECU has retarded the timing, and probably lengthened injector cycle, spraying a smidge more fuel in to resist preignition and cool the cylinder and combustion chamber. You won't hear reduced performance or MPG, but you may have it.

87 is an 85 octane base fuel (usually) with 10% ethanol added. The ethanol raises the octane 2 points, but has less BTU. Premium 91 would be 89 and ethanol. 93 would be 91 base stock. Every step up the ladder gets you a higher refined fuel.

Most majors put the common dose of cleaners in fuel in their regular grades, and extra in their premium offering. There is some truth to Mobil having 3x the Synergy additive in premium. Non ethanol fuels for boats and off road may not have any cleaners added. They don't have to meet the standard for on road fuels.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You can use 87 octane without doing any harm to the engine. The computer will compensate for the lower octane by retarding ignition. It is less than optimum, especially in hot weather. But it won't hurt anything either.
    This is as close to the truth as you'll get. 100's of thousands of miles have been done on Spyders on regular fuel, but it is less than optimum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    OK.....Whats damage could happen if I run 87 gas? Has ANYONE EVER had a problem runnin it? This is the 990 engine. I am runnin 89 in it now without any problems. TYIA
    So you say you have the 990 series engine. If so it takes 87 octane fuel and it is a waste of money putting in anything higher. If you are mistaken and have 991 series engine with the higher compression ratio. It is recommended, not required, to use 91 octane fuel. But it will not cause any harm using 87 octane fuel. The ECM will compensate when needed and prevent engine damage. Performance and fuel mileage may be affected, depending on the conditions. Usually high heat and low altitude.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Billy: How does one tell if they have a 991 engine? I've heard this reference to the different engine before.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

If you have an RS or a GS with a throttle cable you have a 990 series. If you have and RT 2010-2013or a 2014 and later ST, or GS you have the 991 series. Either way you have a 998cc engine. 990 series 10.5/1 compression 991 series 12.5/1 compression. I think the 990 series was retired after 2013.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I run only 87 octane in my 2013 RTL with the 998 engine, and in my 2016 RTL with the 1330 engine and now in my 2018 F3-L with the 1330 engine! No problem al all with any of them!

Spyder Garage

They sell 97 octane where you live?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Not sure if this was coincidence or not, but when I bought our 2012 RT S, I used 87, the motor would hunt at idle. I decided WTH, I'd try running a higher grade and put in some 91; after a couple of tanks, the motor no longer hunts at idle...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 65cabriolet View Post
    Not sure if this was coincidence or not, but when I bought our 2012 RT S, I used 87, the motor would hunt at idle. I decided WTH, I'd try running a higher grade and put in some 91; after a couple of tanks, the motor no longer hunts at idle...
    Interesting ..... I suspect it was Bad Gas and it corrected itself after flushing out the fuel system with fresh gas...... so the actual Octane of that gas was't the fix ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 65cabriolet View Post
    Maybe it was all the extra super cleaners added to the premium grades that cleaned it out and let it puurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

What does the owners manual say? I'm guessing 87 octane/regular fuel ?

FUEL SYSTEM
    Fuel delivery Type Multi-point Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) with
    dual 57 mm throttle body
    Fuel pump Type Electrical module in fuel tank
    Idle speed 1400 ± 100 RPM (not adjustable)
    Type Regular unleaded gasoline
    Inside North America 87 (R+M)/2 or higher Fuel
    Octane no.
    Outside North America 92 RON or higher
    Fuel tank capacity 25 L (6.6 U.S. gal.)

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You should be fine with 87 octane. But if you notice an sort of spark knock, I would switch back. For the people that say that stock engines don't make a difference in power with the octane fuel, you are sort of correct, but not for all vehicles. I have used 87 in my wife's 2 maximas and they both call for premium fuel. The computer compensate for it, and it still performs great. My s/c lightnings wants premium, but I have used 87. In normal driving conditions where you stay out of boost, it would work fine. But when the engine goes into boost, you can tell a difference. I also found out that it will not burn as clean and smudge up the o2 sensors. When going back to premium, it cleared it all up and the check engine light went off. On my 17 mustang GT, it runs with 87, but when 91 and up is used, the car goes into another level. I also have found that it actually learns your driving habits and throttle response adjust accordingly.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Interesting ..... I suspect it was Bad Gas and it corrected itself after flushing out the fuel system with fresh gas...... so the actual Octane of that gas was't the fix ...... Mike
    Sometimes I get bad gas that results in a flushing out of my fuel system too

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the deal as i see it you dont get the additives like you do with 91 or 93