Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Luckily I couldn't Bid

Wow flash from the past .... a 1969 Lotus Europa S2, totally restored sold for $28,000, on Mecum's Auction..... Why I would desire this car ..... Back in the day, my at-the-time girlfriend, took me to visit Her brother who lived near Lime Rock Park raceway ( near Kingston NY )..... We went there because He was going to race His 67 Lotus. .... It was street legal and He took me for a ride ( that was Totally illegal )on the track. .... I came about as close to Shi**ing my pants ( during a car ride ) that I had ever incurred ..... considering it a really small engine ( 1503 cc ,but it was equipped 40 DOC Webbers ) it was very, very lightweight ( 1500lbs =/- ) with the lowest to the ground clearance that I had ever seen.... really wide tires ( for the day ).... and could easily pull over 1 G....... Well I would have Bid on it and probably bought it ......That's my story for today ...... back story is I already owned my ( recently purchased ) 63 Jag XKE roadster, which was the first car I ever owned ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

63 XKE is my all-time favorite body style. European Motors in New Orleans had a yellow one with tan leather seats in the window for 6500. It was beautiful. Used to walk down after music lessons and look at it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    63 XKE is my all-time favorite body style. European Motors in New Orleans had a yellow one with tan leather seats in the window for 6500. It was beautiful. Used to walk down after music lessons and look at it.
    Great minds think alike, Enzo Ferrari publicly said " it was the most beautiful design He had ever seen " ...... thanks .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Ah, the Lotus Europa! Had one for a while while living in England (1968-1972) and loved it - once wedging myself inside. A friend offered that the best way to get into a Europa was to lay on the ground in the fetal position and have someone punt you into the cockpit. Still, once inside it was an absolute blast - as long as the driver wasn't interested in see what was behind him. The limited outward vision other than to the front was, to put in politely, somewhat limited. Still I wish I still had it, along with the Norton 850 Commando Interstate and the Suzuki T500J two stroke twin I sold before returning to the U.S. Another case of twenty-twenty hindsight.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Beginning in the mid 60s, I got my first of four Alfa Romeos - wife drove an Alfa too. Great driver's cars. My appetite for sport cars began in the late 50s with a '55 TR2. Then a TR3A, TR4, and a TR4 Sebring Coupe with a removable roof panel. Tossed in the mix was a Mini (the real one), two Hillman Minx, and a DKW with a two stroke triple. Would I have loved to have some of the cars mentioned above? You bet your crankshaft I do! But life and funds are too short.
    Today, there is room in the garage for but one car ad one bike, so the car has to be a do it all type that is also a hoot to toss around in the twisties. A Chrysler 300C wit da Hemi fills that bill for me.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Beginning in the mid 60s, I got my first of four Alfa Romeos - wife drove an Alfa too. Great driver's cars. My appetite for sport cars began in the late 50s with a '55 TR2. Then a TR3A, TR4, and a TR4 Sebring Coupe with a removable roof panel. Tossed in the mix was a Mini (the real one), two Hillman Minx, and a DKW with a two stroke triple. Would I have loved to have some of the cars mentioned above? You bet your crankshaft I do! But life and funds are too short.
    Today, there is room in the garage for but one car ad one bike, so the car has to be a do it all type that is also a hoot to toss around in the twisties. A Chrysler 300C wit da Hemi fills that bill for me.
    Chrysler HEMI - Yeparoo, I had a friend who bought a new split window Vette ( what a car ) ..... and traded it in 4 mos. later for the 300 C convertible ....Why did He do this ???? .... Soooo He could pack more friends into that car ...... and He was actually rich - so He could. ...... the car was pretty much a barge, but at a stop light He could smoke the tires without even trying ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Chrysler HEMI - Yeparoo, I had a friend who bought a new split window Vette ( what a car ) ..... and traded it in 4 mos. later for the 300 C convertible
    A convertible??? That would be a custom job. Yep, I got the 300C so I can schlep family and junk the Mrs. buys. The fold down rear seat back was the deal maker. No to forget to mention the tire scorching. We have an international road race track here and I have run the 300C on it, shaming MR2s and Miatas even in the chicanes. What a picture; grandpa in his luxury barge smoking the young uns in their sporty cars with half the avoirdupois.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome