Spyder Garage

Default Setting up my new Sena 50S headsets

This is my first time setting up and using bluetooth headsets. I've always had bikes with wired systems and built in intercom. For bike to bike we've always used CB radio.

I got the dual 50S headset pack from amazon for $475

After a bit of experimenting I see several ways of setting the helmets up

1. Ignore the bike's entertainment system
    Pair the driver headset to my phone.
    Pair the passenger headset to their own phone.

Advantage: voice commands to both phones.
    Advantage: independent music selection
    Disadvantage: No simple controls for music start/stop, prev/next, volume
    Disadvantage: Remove hand from handlebars and hunt for the headset audio controls

2. Pair phone and both headsets to the bike.
    Pair phone and helmets as all independent to BRP connect

Advantage: Nice controls
    Advantage: Feed AUX devices to the headsets, ie. ZUMO GPS
    Advantage: Easily control mesh network pairing etc.
    Advantage: Common music to chat/argue/sing about
    Disadvantage: Driver can't control phone with voice commands - YES YOU CAN!!!!
    Disadvantage: Rider and passenger can't use phone app to control mesh
    Disadvantage: Fighting about the music/book etc

3. Hybrid - Rider headset to bike, passenger to phone

Advantage: Rider gets to control his music with bike controls
    Advantage: Rider gets to hear AUX
    Advantage: Independent music
    Disadvantage: Driver can't use phone app to control mesh
    Disadvantage: Passenger can't hear aux

Passenger/Rider intercom is the same for all 3 scenarios.
    Setting up the mess varies a bit but I don't think it's a huge issue.

Does anyone with more bluetooth experience see anything I'm missing?

I think I'm going for option 3, the hybrid. I really like the super handy controls on the bike. I also like being able to switch music to the external speakers while I wash the bike or stand around gabbing.

It's not really a permanent choice. 5 minutes and you can switch between all 3 options.

Spyder Garage

My setup is ME #2; wife #1
    See note under #1

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ClayJ View Post
    This is my first time setting up and using bluetooth headsets. I've always had bikes with wired systems and built in intercom. For bike to bike we've always used CB radio.

On an iPhone, the music app is controllable via the phone. If phone is mounted on left handle bar and a touch sensitive glove is used. So really no disadvantage.

Disadvantage: Remove hand from handlebars and hunt for the headset audio controls

I think I'm going for option 3, the hybrid. I really like the super handy controls on the bike. I also like being able to switch music to the external speakers while I wash the bike or stand around gabbing.

It's not really a permanent choice. 5 minutes and you can switch between all 3 options.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...current-status

I have some tweeks to this that I've listed at the end.
    All of this would be so much easier if BRP connect allowed for the integration of a stand alone GPS similar to the previous audio systems, but for some reason, BRP elected to remove this capability, despite providing an OEM mount for the GPS..
    My goal is to have a driver/passenger intercom and use a Garmin 595 for navigation, while using the bike controls for the music. Using the cell phone while riding is a secondary requirement, but achievable.

Here's what I did:
    I'll first identify the parts I have and then I'll tell you how they are connected/paired

The individual parts are:
    Of course, I have the BRP Connect installed on my 2020 RTL
    I have a Galaxy Note 8 loaded up with music and the BRP App as an audio source.
    I have one SENA 20S EVO for me
    I have one SENA 20S for a passenger
    I have a Garmin Zumo 595 for navigation.
    I have a Galaxy Note 10 for phone calls.

Components are connected:
    The Note 8 is paired to the BRP Connect as a BT Audio source
    The passenger SENA 20S is paired to BRP for music and the driver 20S EVO for intercom.
    The driver 20S EVO is paired to the BRP for music and the passenger 20S for intercom
    The Garmin 595 is paired the the driver 20S EVO for navigation and the Note 10 for phone calls. This also gives calls from the Galaxy note 10 through to the driver 20S EVO.

This setup gives the following capabilities:
    The Passenger gets music from the bike and intercom to the Driver. This also gives the passenger control over the music that's played by using the passenger console. The jury is out as to whether or not that's a good idea.
    The Driver gets music and intercom to the Passenger. The music is controlled by the Driver console. This is a good thing, and the main reason for changing from the previous system centered on the ZUMO.
    The Driver gets navigation instructions through the Garmin GPS.
    The Driver can make or receive cell phone calls via the Garmin GPS connection.

POST DEPLOYMENT TWEEKS:
    Both of my headsets showed up in BRP connect identified with the same name. "SENA 20S 2.0.1". That confused me, and sometimes the pairing process.
    I've since renamed my headseets. Mine is named "Steven". The passenger is named "Your Name Here". This has avoided confusion so far.
    I've found it best to power up both headsets, then power up the bike. If you power up the bike first, and then power the headsets, the pairing would be a little wonky, sometimes only one headset would pair. You can go to the menu and connect the headset using the menu controls, but then it is even more important to have distinct ID for each of the headsets.

Hope this helps.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I've spent part of the day fiddling and learned something that I'm really happy about.

With my phone paired bluetooth to the bike and headset paired to the bike, I can still say "hey google" and talk to the phone. I even took the phone into the house and closed the door, so it wasn't just ambient triggering of the phone, it was via bluetooth. I'm not sure if any ol' bluetooth headset would do that or if it's a feature of the Sena 50S, but I wasn't expecting it to work.

So now, my configuration #3 (and #2) overcome what I thought was a major disadvantage, voice commands to the phone via the bikes audio system.

For GPS, I am using a Garmin 550 with an audio out port. I've seen no real need to upgrade to any of the newer GPS. I have the same maps, same routing ability, and ZERO need for the GPS to be the bluetooth center of my universe.

Spyder Garage

I've spent part of the day fiddling and learned something that I'm really happy about.

With my phone paired bluetooth to the bike and headset paired to the bike, I can still say "hey google" and talk to the phone. I even took the phone into the house and closed the door, so it wasn't just ambient triggering of the phone, it was via bluetooth. I'm not sure if any ol' bluetooth headset would do that or if it's a feature of the Sena 50S, but I wasn't expecting it to work.

So now, my configuration #3 (and #2) overcome what I thought was a major disadvantage, voice commands to the phone via the bikes audio system.

For GPS, I am using a Garmin 550 with an audio out port. I've seen no real need to upgrade to any of the newer GPS. I have the same maps, same routing ability, and ZERO need for the GPS to be the bluetooth center of my universe.
    That's great news ! I'm glad you got it worked out.
    What are you connecting your GPS audio out port to ?? How can you hear the navigation instructions ? Are you wired into your headset bypassing BRP Connect bluetooth ?? Are you still able to hear the music from the bike to your headset if the AUX input is hardwired ?
    Thanks for any input
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Are you still able to hear the music from the bike to your headset if the AUX input is hardwired?
    I haven't actually tried it yet, but the Sena 50 series has the ability to pair to 3 bluetooth audio sources. 2 phones and a gps. Then with Sena's Audio Multitasking, it switches audio sources dynamically letting the GPS audio play over the music.

Spyder Garage

So if I understand you correctly, you are using the SENA as your hub, then having BRP connect, and the GPS as bluetooth sources to your SENA.
    That's nearly identical to what I'm doing. I chose the GPS as the hub for my phone so I can use it separately from the MP3 player.
    But again, if I understand you correctly, you have not paired your GPS to BRP Connect to allow voice instructions through the motorcycle speakers, using bluetooth to the SENA to receive navigation instructions.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

I can't use bluetooth to connect my GPS. When the GPS is connected (in the GPS spot) I can't hear music from my phone. I hear just a bit of background static from a low quality bluetooth connection which I think means that my GPS is constantly transmitting audio, even though that audio is silence.

This could be a problem with my Zumo 550 GPS. Maybe newer Zumos don't constantly transmit or use a better bluetooth release, but I'm sure not going to spend $$$$$ on the hopes that it will fix the problem, especially when I don't need or want any of the new features. The 550 does everything I need, and I already own it.

This could also be the way the Sen 50S works. But either way, bluetooth GPS is out of the picture for me.

My next direction is to open the body panels (2019 RT LT) and look for the GPS audio feed and try that route.

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, on the 2018 and newer Spyders, there IS no GPS audio feed.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Unfortunately, on the 2018 and newer Spyders, there IS no GPS audio feed.
    The forums are very confusing on that issue. I've read people say that, then I read a post where someone claims to have a 2019 RT LT with the audio connectors. I figure I'll open the panels and look for myself. I have to open some for the mods I'm adding anyway.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...at-2019-RT-LTD

Spyder Garage

Hey Clay, those audio connectors on that particular 2019 were almost certainly fitted AFTER the Spyder left the factory!!

It could've been done by the dealer, or possibly whoever installed the GPS mount; but I'm pretty sure the 2018 & 19 RT's DO NOT come from the factory with a separate GPS Mount &/or the wiring for one, and that's what those particular plugs belong to!

So unless you too have a separate GPS mount on your 2019, it's almost certain that you won't have those plugs! But it sounds like you're gonna hafta take the tupperware off anyway, so go ahead, have a look; only please, do report back here (especially if you find them!) Just don't waste too much time searching for them if they aren't reasonably obvious, cos they're probably not there!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

On to another feature of the 50S, intercom.

I am used to the goldwing and a CB. I was in constant intercom with my passenger, and our conversations were private. If anyone spoke on the CB, I could hear them and had a push to talk button when I wanted the whole group to hear me. I could listen to music and it would fade into the background whenever anyone spoke.

Now the 50S has switched the emphasis. If I want to listen to music and have intercom, the only option is group mesh. So speaking to the group is now the default mode and if I want to speak privately with my passenger, I have to turn on bluetooth intercom. Turning on bluetooth turns off the music and the mesh. So I can speak privately to the passenger but I can't hear anyone else or hear music while I do.

On the plus side, I get to have my own music and my wife gets her own music.

I haven't done a group ride with bluetooth yet, so I don't know whether I'll prefer the new method or not.

Spyder Garage

On to another feature of the 50S, intercom.

Now the 50S has switched the emphasis. If I want to listen to music and have intercom, the only option is group mesh. So speaking to the group is now the default mode and if I want to speak privately with my passenger, I have to turn on bluetooth intercom. Turning on bluetooth turns off the music and the mesh. So I can speak privately to the passenger but I can't hear anyone else or hear music while I do.
    Are you sure that's correct ?

On the EVO 20S, there is a private intercom and you can have private conversations with several different people at different times.
    There is also a group intercom where everyone joins in.
    For instance, you can have a private conversation with your passenger, and when that's complete, you can have a private conversation with another rider, or you can have a group conversation where you all chip in.
    You can set up the music so that the intercom will mute the music entirely, or you can have the intercom quiet the music so it still plays in the background. I chose to mute the music.

It's my understanding that the newer SENA units incorporate all the capabilities that the previous units have, and then add the new mesh technology.

I think the mesh technology allows for a larger group that links up automatically.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Yes, the 50S also supports bluetooth pairing to 4 other headsets with individual private or group conversation. But the mesh has no such feature.

When I ride with a group it's usually 8 or more bikes, most of which are 2 up. We are trying to switch from CB radios to mesh. Time will tell.

Spyder Garage

I'm happy you people are posting all this information. Some of the guys I ride have communication systems on their bikes and I thought it might be useful. After reading some of these posts I am convinced that it's not for me. I have trouble answering the phone so there's no way I could set any of this stuff up where it even might work. Watched a you tube video on setting up a helmet and there's no way I would get through that part either. I'll just have to be satisfied to keep using hand signals and yelling at people. My RT does have the GPS but I've always thought they were for people that couldn't read a map so I figure it won't get used very much, if at all.

2015 RTL White

Spyder Garage

Using the GPS on my cell phone turns out to be problematic when I'm listening to music.

Music comes across bluetooth the stereo audio protocol. But GPS instructions (from Google Maps) comes over the Headset protocol. It takes nearly a second for the Spyder and Sena to switch from audio to headset, so I loose the first second or more of GPS instructions.

This isn't unique to the Spyder/Sena combo. The same thing happens in my car or when I'm wearing my Bose headsets. But I loose just a bit more with the Spyder/Sena. It's probably because the signal bounces though the Spyder and doubles the pickup time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gg194 View Post
    I'll just have to be satisfied to keep using hand signals and yelling at people. My RT does have the GPS but I've always thought they were for people that couldn't read a map so I figure it won't get used very much, if at all.
    Don't give in so easily. There's hope on your horizon and that's Cycle Gear. They know communicators well, they'll sell you just the unit you need, they'll install it and get you started. I know, they helped this stumbling Old Luddite and now I'm communicating and getting GPS directions, which is all I want - no music or connection to the bike.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I just finished my first 2-up, multi day ride and wanted to save my impressions.

I wound up pairing both headsets to the bike because my wife is very non-technical. She struggles trying to keep the phone paired, volumes, next song, etc, etc. With her paired to the bike, I take care of all of that and she can use the passenger controls to go to the next song or change volume.

The other 2 bikes were Harleys and use CB for bike to bike. I felt very left out without my CB to join in. I have a Sena SR10 on order to correct that problem. I'll connect the SR10 to a handheld CB, or if that's too weak, I have a top end Cobra that I can put in the Frunk.

For rider/passenger intercom, we used bluetooth. I actually like the fact that when I turn the intercom on, it pauses the music. I love my wife dearly, but she loves to sing along and this lets her do that without forcing me to listen. So I either have music OR I can hear her.

We rode through 90 minutes of pretty hard rain and had no issues with the headsets. I've read that the headsets aren't waterproof, they are just water resistant. They did fine on this ride.

One thing I hadn't thought of before, but even with the bike off and separated, we could still talk. So while I gassed, she carried the helmet in and could ask me questions and hear my answers. Not a big deal but it came in handy a couple of times.

I don't like having 2 more things to remember to charge overnight. I already have phones, go pro, drone, and cameras. I forgot one night and had to charge for 20 minutes while we packed the bike. Then charged over lunch and we never ran out.

As for overall impression, I really like them. Great microphones and speakers. It was clearer than the 2001 goldwing and wired headsets where I often struggled to understand my passenger.

EDIT: I forgot to mention something else I found out. When my phone rings, I can answer it and talk. But my wife can't hear the phone conversation. If the intercom is on, she can hear me but never the caller. So all she knows is the music stopped. I 'll have to experiment more and see if that can change.

Spyder Garage

5 month update.

I have finally given up on using the Can-Am BRP audio system entirely. There were just too many problems (I'll details those later). Fixing audio problems requires the following steps:

1. Stop the bike
    2. Turn off the bike
    3. Wait 30 seconds for the bike to REALLY turn off
    4. Turn the bike back on
    5. Wait 40 seconds for bike audio system to boot and pair to phone/helmet
    6. Start riding again.

That's often 3 to 4 minutes of frustrated time wasting and you have to do it a couple times a day (or more). And if you're with a group, the 3rd time you ask the entire group to pull over while you reboot your audio system, you feel like a total idiot. I never even asked the first time, I just continued to ride with my audio totally hosed until the next natural stop.

Before someone tells me to turn the audio system off and back on via the thumb stick, that doesn't really work. Once the bluetooth subsystem locks up, it's gone and won't come back without a full power cycle.

So here's the various symptoms I have had occur

1. Short static burst & audio stops. After 10 to 20 seconds audio comes back, but then after a few minutes it happens again and again, and again. This happens allot
    1. Short static burst & audio stops, never comes back. Trying to power off/on or start/stop audio has no effect. This happens frequently but less often than #1
    1. Audio begins replaying a 20 second loop over and over. Pausing or power off doesn't stop it. I have to turn off headset to stop it. Only had this about 3 times.

I'm using a Galaxy 9 phone and Sena 50S headset. I've tried an iphone 6 and got similar results.

I have now switched to pairing the Galaxy 9 directly to the Sena and have 0 bluetooth problems.

However, the Sena 50S is HORRIBLE about wind noise when using intercom. Sena never seems to learn or mute wind noise. Customer support recommended raising VOX level to the point you have to shout to get it to trigger. Everyone abandoned MESH intercom after a few hours of riding, it was too painful. Several people have already sold their headsets and we're going back to CB.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

BE SURE TO LOG INTO SENA.COM AND REGISTER THE HEADSETS WITH THE SERIAL NUMBERS NOW, OR THERE IS NO WARRANTY
    By the way I could have saved you money....
    Motorcycle Dave's LOGO.jpg

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Do yourself a favor use option #1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    BE SURE TO LOG INTO SENA.COM AND REGISTER THE HEADSETS WITH THE SERIAL NUMBERS NOW, OR THERE IS NO WARRANTY
    By the way I could have saved you money....
    Motorcycle Dave's LOGO.jpg
    I did that day 1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Do yourself a favor use option #1
    I wanted to give the bike audio system a fair try, but I have wound up using option #1. Very disappointed in BRP connect.