Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Reverse LIGHT? Stupid factory idea?

Just wondering if this has been talked about on here yet. A quick search didn't show what I was looking for.
    Has anyone added a WHITE light on rear of bike to come on while reversing? This has always puzzled me. If I see hazard lights ahead I don't expect to see it reversing without his white reverse lights on. Especially if It was sitting still then put them on. This is confusing to anyone that doesn't even know we CAN even reverse!
    Also I backed into a big pothole at night LOL. Would have seen it if the dang lights had stayed on.

I had a couple of pictures of the wiring schematic on the spyder (mine is 2011 RS) but can't seem to find it now after win 10 upgrade.
    I am curious if the turn signal flashing (hazards) is just using a "reverse" signal to then turn on the hazard lights? Or is this signal wire already "pulsing". It would then be a simple task of taking this signal wire be it +Pos or -Neg. and use it to turn on a relay to power the reverse light.

If it hasn't been done yet then you are welcome
    I will plan on this in mod the near future.

Spyder Garage

Don't know if you Spyder is different because of your north of the border residence but on my 2017 RT-S when I start the engine and shift into reverse two nice, bright backup lights come on. No hazard flashers come on unless I press the button. Perhaps I'm missing something.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I'm with Jay. I have backup lights.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Backup lights on both our Spyders.

One RT and one F3. I had 08 and 09 GS/RS models...but don't remember if they had back up lights or not.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-15-2020 at 06:08 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I will need to double check this. Maybe that pothole jumped out in behind me LOL

Spyder Garage

Are all your machines RT's? or F3's?
    Mine is a RS-S
    I just checked mine again cause you guys had me thinking I was going crazy. In reverse my two red running lights are lit and my turn signals (both) flash amber on a clear lens (may be aftermarket)? I don't have the rear lower fender on it as our roads destroy it in less than a couple years. But all that was on there was a license plate lamp that is always on.

Spyder Garage

For me:

One RT and one F3. I had 08 and 09 GS/RS models...but don't remember if they had back up lights or not.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I saw yours is an RS, mine's a '14 RT-S, SE6 ; I know absolutely nothing about your model.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I believe that in your part of the world, the earlier GS/RS/RSS Spyders only had those 'flashing the flasher' reverse indicators, so you may not be going quite as crazy as you think, deadboltdon!

I'm not that sure about the North American 'later' versions of those models, saaay 2014 on, but over here in Oz, all of our RS/RSS's were fitted with a dirty great clunky White Reversing Light that I believe was an OE BRP piece of kit, so you might be able to find that part number somewhere & source it locally in order to 'upgrade' yours - but be warned, here in Oz, taking that ugly lump off the tail is one of the more popular mods people make!! So be sure you can put up with it before blowing your dough!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2020 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Sp! :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking of wiring a back up camera to the reverse light circuit. So it's only on when in reverse. The light is above the license.

DSCN2701.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

‘13 ST-L flashers when in reverse here. Not much trouble either usually only in R under 100feet or so. * probably has to do with the “sport” look not much room back there for back up light, especially if you add the sports rack or sport fender. Doing good to get a license plate light

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy....
    I was thinking to add a led spot lamp under the seat, Would be angled down slightly so it isn't right in your face behind me.
    It would get installed in the under side panel.
    After market LED would be used. I wouldn't be giving BRP any more of my hard earned cash on overpriced OEM parts. (They will get their chance to rip me off on the Blip'ing "Blipper" and a $200 (can.) for a alignment.
    I would get a lamp for license plate but lately I just carry it in the frunk LOL.
    Haven't made a new bracket for my plate just yet... I just try not to draw attention on my brightly colored orange spyder

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My remembrance of back-up lights is similar to others GS / RS ( possibly STS also ) didn't have the back-up lights because they WEREN'T designed for towing ie. BRP didn't design a Trailer Hitch for those models ..... so there was no circuit added .... I believe the BRP trailers had back-up lights ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

That is a question I was saving for later (Trailer hitch for RS) But this makes sense why not offered on RS now..... Now will a hitch "FIT" a RS?

Backup flood light.jpg

This is what I am thinking of. Would only need one. Very low profile 170 degree flood and a few straight beam LEDs. Cree LEDs have never let me down in brightness! I am sure I can isolate a reverse circuit to trigger a relay and activate these.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-13-2022 at 09:17 AM. Reason: why

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by deadboltdon View Post
    That is a question I was saving for later (Trailer hitch for RS) But this makes sense why not offered on RS now..... Now will a hitch "FIT" a RS?

Backup flood light.jpg

This is what I am thinking of. Would only need one. Very low profile 170 degree flood and a few straight beam LEDs. Cree LEDs have never let me down in brightness! I am sure I can isolate a reverse circuit to trigger a relay and activate these.
    I'm pretty sure the swing arms were the same as the earlier RT's ..( I believe the measurements changed slightly 16-17- 18 ) ..... I built my own trailer hitches for my GS and RSS ..... they worked great ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-13-2022 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display