Spyder Garage

Default Need help 2018 RT brake not releasing & b/light flashing

Help my spyder RT 2018 rear brake not always releasing and brake light flashes. when I get to dealer it seems to work
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2020 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Not 1330cc motor related!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The dealer should be aware of this problem as it seems to be a rather common issue on the 18 RT. Tell them to check BOSSWEB and if they look at you funny you should find another dealer.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ivan View Post
    Help my spyder RT 2018 rear brake not always releasing and brake light flashes. when I get to dealer it seems to work
    The 2018's have some known problems with the left switch pack (something to do with the parking brake circuit), and also the parking brake motor. Mine had to have both replaced under warranty. By the flashing brake light if you mean the indicator on the dash that is the indication of a brake fault. Use your phone to record the flashing red indicator with the odometer showing, then also record the fault code that goes with it in the same video. On mine they tried to say nothing wrong until I showed them the multiple videos of the problem. I'm not absolutely sure, but it seems to clear if the problem self corrects. Also, carry 2- 12mm wrenches and a pair of small fold up chocks until the problem is known fixed. If not you may be calling for a tow. The two wrenches can remover the locked up brake cable to allow you to move the Spyder to the shop or home.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

IMG_20190719_165121.jpg
    I had this also last year,Dealer wasn't worried about it. Then I started having issues shifting(paddle shifter) so another dealership replaced the left handlebar assembly and so far no problems. It was extremely hot that day also when my parking brake was off but the light was flashing like it was still on,then it finally reset it self after I released the cable. Never happened again then the paddle shifter isn't responding quickly last fall so it was replaced under a TSB just before this virus crap started.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
    IMG_20190719_165121.jpg
    I had this also last year,Dealer wasn't worried about it. Then I started having issues shifting(paddle shifter) so another dealership replaced the left handlebar assembly and so far no problems. It was extremely hot that day also when my parking brake was off but the light was flashing like it was still on,then it finally reset it self after I released the cable. Never happened again then the paddle shifter isn't responding quickly last fall so it was replaced under a TSB just before this virus crap started.
    That was one of the contributors to my failures, it would only manifest in the heat. Below about 90°F it wouldn't show up, everything acted normal.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.