Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Stripped yet ANOTHER bolt!!!

I'm to the point where I truly wish someone would come along and f'in steal this thing. Seriously. If it wasn't illegal, I'd pay someone to steal it. I WAS going to take a nice long ride up the BRP Saturday. Now, I have to run across town, buy a pair of vice grips (cuz I can't find mine....could be during some previous vehicle work, I may have heaved them into the next county....who can remember), remove yet ANOTHER stripped bolt, bring the bolt back across town to buy another (cuz I have no idea what size I need), back home and hope I didn't cross thread it too bad.

I'm installing a set of Pierres floating highway boards. The VERY FIRST bolt I cross threaded. I tried a couple heavy duty pair of channel locks but it won't budge. It's MY fault as I was 99.4% sure the heads were torx (cuz everything else on the stupid bike is). They're hex. I must have watched his install video 20 times just to make sure I got everything right and I STILL got it wrong!

And to think I was talking to the dealership just today about installing a set of Tri Axis bars. (I mean, I wouldn't be installing them, thank God.) I...just...can't...do...anything...right...on...th is.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ouch! That hurts, even over here in Idaho, clear across the country! I've cross threaded a few bolts, even when I knew it could happen and was being super careful.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

We've all been there.
    And DON'T ask me about my adventures in plumbing.

Oh, I think I found your vise-grips in my yard.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

That's definitely NOT a great thing to hear, Monk!! I do feel for you, only don't you feel too badly about it, cos if we're really honest with ourselves, anyone who's ever spun a spanner has cross threaded a bolt or two, and it invariably happens at exactly the most inconvenient time!! At least you're only across town from the new vice grips & bolts, and not 1000 km of almost insurmountable sand dunes away from the nearest help!!

Still, not trying to teach anyone who already knows/does this anything new, but for those who don't.... and I certainly dunno how much it'll help you now, Monk, but for whatever it's worth.... Read on!

Remember the old 'Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey' saying & recite it whenever you insert or undo a bolt juuuust to make sure you're at least likely to be turning the bolt the correct way; and then also practice making it a habit to ALWAYS turn any bolt at least a couple of turns LEFT (ie. counter clockwise) when you're first inserting it. If you do this with a little inwards pressure on the bolt as you turn, you should feel a slight 'click' as the first catch-point of the thread on the bolt passes over the engagement point of the starting thread in the hole. So if you feel for this 'click' before you start trying to tighten the bolt by turning it to the RIGHT (ie. clockwise) you should be more likely to engage the threads properly and thereby minimise the chances of cross-threading!

No guarantees of course, and that little pearl of unsolicited electronically shared wisdom is, as always, only worth the paper it's printed upon. But here's hoping it might help someone!

and Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think it’s time for you to start another hobby, preferably something that doesn’t have anything to do with tools.

Either that, or get REALLY acquainted with a good mechanic, lol.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Monk. You are no different than I am! We have all done that at one time or another. And I am still doing things like this. Hang in there. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

And getting the damn bolt out is usually just the beginning of the fun. (don't ask me how I know ) I believe tap & dye sets were invented for just this purpose. Hang in there Brother.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    And getting the damn bolt out is usually just the beginning of the fun. (don't ask me how I know ) I believe tap & dye sets were invented for just this purpose. Hang in there Brother.
    I couldn't agree more. I have crossed threaded a few in my time and quickly brought a tap and die set.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Don't be too hard on yourself Monk. First time I went to check the oil level on my then new bike, I cross-threaded the dipstick putting it back in.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

I don't believe ANY of this is the bikes fault!!?

Spyder Garage

When your in that "other country," looking for the vice grips, see if there is a Maglite (the 20" one) floating around. I lost mine when I was installing the Seal floorboards around 2011. Poof...it was gone forever. There must be something going on about missing tools and floorboards.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcoats1 View Post
    I don't believe ANY of this is the bikes fault!!?
    It's my bike and my aggrevation. It can be anybodys (or anythings) fault I want it to be.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    When your in that "other country," looking for the vice grips, see if there is a Maglite (the 20" one) floating around. I lost mine when I was installing the Seal floorboards around 2011. Poof...it was gone forever. There must be something going on about missing tools and floorboards.
    I've got a collection of Maglites. One might be yours. I think I've got (3) of the (6) D cell and (2) of the (8) D cell lights plus more (2) and (4) D cell lights than I could ever use. Most of them were given to me as job related. Work "upgraded" and didn't want the old ones back. Work didn't go to LEDs and/or rechargable batteries until just before I left.

Spyder Garage

Did the handlebar bolt get fixed ?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Wow! Next time that urge kicks in, and you reach for a tool, STOP! Go directly to the fridge, open a beer. Drink it. Keep that process going until the urge to touch a tool passes. You’ll be fine. It might take a few cases of beer, but eventually, that urge will stop. Then, you can just enjoy the ride. I gotta admit, you are tenacious! LOL! I m like that with singing. I keep trying, but I’m terrible. Generally, I drink first, then think I can karaoke like Buble’. It seems, I can’t. So there’s that!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Did the handlebar bolt get fixed ?
    I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealership to see if it will be fixed under warranty. I spoke w/them yesterday. They said if it's fixed under warranty, BRP might ask for the handlebars. Not really sure why. I guess, if they can fix it under warranty, I might have them install Tri Axis bars (no labor as it would be covered under warranty). If that's the case, they can keep the bars and make a wall decoration out of them as far as I'm concerned. It's not like I'd get any money out of a set of stock bars anyway and I don't need them cluttering up my house. (I can't even sell a brand new (~400 miles) stock seat.)

Spyder Garage

Monk.....you goose......I have never, ever made any kind of mistake like that....... oh....wait.....is that a flying pig?

Hang in there mate, I’ve cross threaded 3 of the Tupperware bolts, and a couple of other things that I dare not post here for fear of ridicule

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Monk.....you goose......I have never, ever made any kind of mistake like that....... oh....wait.....is that a flying pig?

Hang in there mate, I’ve cross threaded 3 of the Tupperware bolts, and a couple of other things that I dare not post here for fear of ridicule

Pete
    "Ridicule", oh come on, not here.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

You won't cross thread as many bolts if you take torx socket or the hex socket off the ratchet and just use the socket in your fingers to get the bolts started. Don't put the ratchet on them until they are started and turned down 4 or 5 threads by hand. If they won't start straight, find out why. I keep a 10X magnifying glass hanging on a magnetic hook on the side of the tool box.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    You won't cross thread as many bolts if you take torx socket or the hex socket off the ratchet and just use the socket in your fingers to get the bolts started. Don't put the ratchet on them until they are started and turned down 4 or 5 threads by hand. If they won't start straight, find out why. I keep a 10X magnifying glass hanging on a magnetic hook on the side of the tool box.
    That is why I like to screw in the bolts for the tupperware by hand. I don't get when people place the bolt on the bit, jam the bolt in the hole and pull the trigger on a power tool. That's a great way to cross thread .

However, I use a power tool to take them off.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Hey Monk, I'll give you a hundred bucks for your Spyder and I'll even come pick it up. I'll consider it a Mental Health Mission.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Me, too! I’ll go $200!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Bummer, again.

Spyder Garage

Sheesh! You folks shouldn't be let loose on yer bikes with a tool in yer hand! What with chewed out heads, cross threads and slackening screws in the wrong direction...you do know which side of a brake pad is the disc side?! 'Course you do, it's the flat side....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    That is why I like to screw in the bolts for the tupperware by hand. I don't get when people place the bolt on the bit, jam the bolt in the hole and pull the trigger on a power tool. That's a great way to cross thread .

However, I use a power tool to take them off.
    I’ve got some news for you, Peacekeeper..........I don’t even use a power driver to REMOVE the panel bolts, let alone tighten them, and I have still cross threaded a couple. I certainly don’t “jam the bolt in the hole and pull the trigger’, as per your rather significant assumption as to the cause of cross threading. I guess I’m just not as smart as you, eh? Oh well, I can live with that.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red