Spyder Garage

Default What kind of helmet when you have a high windscreen?

What kind of helmet do you use with your touring Spyders with the high, adjustable windscreen? I bought a 2012 RT SE5 a few years ago, and have been using a 3/4 helmet (Schuberth M1) with large visor, but now I have become interested in Schubert's C4 Pro, a flip up full face helmet. Is that a good idea with the high windscreen on my Spyder? Anyone else using FF helmets with this Spyder model?

Maybe I should still clarify that I'm not talking about the safety. A full face (solid or flip up/modular) helmet is of course always better for the safety, but I was wondering if this kind of helmet will be too warm, and if you will get enough air inside the helmet, as you have a very large and high (at least in the up position) windshield in front of you, in this Spyder model.

Spyder Garage

If you have the stock windshield, I am using a Bell modular that I have removed the clear faceshield from. I can lower windsield if I want more air or raise it if I don`t. I think you could get the same effect with the helmet you are looking at.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

3/4 helmet on my Spyder. Full face helmet on my V star. The adjustable windshield allows me to wear either helmet riding the spyder.

Spyder Garage

I ryde my 2013 RT wearing a Full Face Shoei GT-Air - and for that matter, I ride everything else with a Full Face Helmet on too! So does my Wife.

I do this mainly cos I'm sorta attached to my chin & lower jaw, and despite wearing a pretty classy beard (altho admittedly, it's become a bit greyer of late.... ) I think the Full Face helmet provides just a little more protection than my beard! But then, I have worked as a First Responder & Paramedic, so I've seen more enough absofreakinlutely horrific injuries from relatively minor motorcycle accidents inflicted on people who were riding without full face helmets to EVER consider doing otherwise

But then, it is your face, so it's your choice, isn't it!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Full face Shoei or HJC on ALL of my bikes. I do ride with the face shield open at times behind a windshield, but always full face. I don't like modular helmets, but that's just me. My wife wears a 3/4 helmet. I have tried for years to get her into a full face or even a modular, but 3/4 it is.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have Dry Eye Syndrome (it's a thing) so I wear either a 3/4 Bell w/a faceshield or a modular HJC RPHA 90.

Spyder Garage

I've always worn a full face. the windshield won't make a bit of difference if you are tossed off the bike.
    Arai for me, but always had riders envy for the Schuberth. I've seen one, a teacher had it. She rode to work every day. Very nice, precision, refined.

Spyder Garage

With my short shield installed, I wear either a FF or modular. When traveling with my taller shield on, I wear my HJC IS-33 3/4 helmet with its up/down visor.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I wear a full face on all my bikes, have for the last 46 years. I started out with a 3/4 helmet. But while riding in '74 with a group of friends, one of them went down in a corner. He was wearing a full face and slid about 50 ft in some gravel, face down! The only thing he remembered from the accident was the chin bar digging into the ground and kicking up dirt in his face. If he hadn't had a full face on that would have been his chin digging into the ground. I ordered a full face helmet when I got back from the trip and have worn nothing but since. I know it cuts into your vision some and is hotter in the summer but in my opinion it's the only way to go.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

Arai Quantum X full face for me and a Schuberth C3 Pro for the wife.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have an 14 RT with the reg. OEM windshield .... I usually keep it lowered .... and also usually ride with my shorty helmet with a large visor ...I'm 5'11" and can just see OVER the windshield .... I have done it this way with and without eyeglasses and it works fine for me .... if raining I raise the shield and take off my glasses, this also works .... annnnnnnnnnnnnd I have a full Modular style that I wear if it's cold, no issues with that at all ...... hope this helps ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Schuberth C3 Pro modular here. I usually ride windshield lowered on my RTL but with clear visor up. The Pro has a retractable sun visor that is always down when I ride. I usually use the full visor when at highway speeds. Sometimes I raise the windshield sometimes I don't
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

AGV K3 SV. Full face for both me and my wife. Full face will offer the most protection. Most impacts are to the face and chin area. These helmets have a multitude of adjustments including shield up or shade down. there are several vents and fog free pin locks. We will upgrade next time, but it will be full face as well.

Spyder Garage

Currently riding with Bell Mag 9 Sena. A full size, but non full face helmet. Has the full size face shield and a visor peak. No chin bar. We bought them because the Sena communicators fit in them and not on them as previous Nolan N44's did.

Linda is claustrophobic and cannot use a full face set up. Yes, a calculated risk for the both of us.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Helmetsl.jpg use this one on 2 or 3 wheels for the last 3 year, 2 more to go before I replace it.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

We ride with Shoei full face RF-1200's on our '19 RTL. They can be hot so we crack the shields when needed. They are so much safer if you go down.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've been using a modular for 14 years, first with my Goldwing and now 8 years with my two Spyders. I always have the windshield full up and the helmet shield open, except in rain. Never found heat to be an issue except when the helmet shield is closed.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

We have Bell 1/2 helmets that we like.

Spyder Garage

I use schuberth C4pro and love it

Spyder Garage

I believe you wear what YOU want and what is comfortable, unless you are dealing with competition i.e. racing!

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shark10006 View Post
    What kind of helmet do you use with your touring Spyders with the high, adjustable windscreen? I bought a 2012 RT SE5 a few years ago, and have been using a 3/4 helmet (Schuberth M1) with large visor, but now I have become interested in Schubert's C4 Pro, a flip up full face helmet. Is that a good idea with the high windscreen on my Spyder? Anyone else using FF helmets with this Spyder model?

Maybe I should still clarify that I'm not talking about the safety. A full face (solid or flip up/modular) helmet is of course always better for the safety, but I was wondering if this kind of helmet will be too warm, and if you will get enough air inside the helmet, as you have a very large and high (at least in the up position) windshield in front of you, in this Spyder model.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Schuberth C3 pro for me and AGV 6 carbon full face for my wife. I do ride with the face shield up and the sun visor down in hot weather.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Scorpion EXO modular currently... I own half helmets from my Harley days that have hardly ever been worn. Always full face or modular, always full gear... went down in light drizzle 2 blocks from my home on a Yamaha 1300 ten years ago, at 25mph (crossing railway tracks that had tarred wooden beams parallel to the rails and the bike just flipped out from under me) and even at that speed I had a concussion and 4 cracked ribs and cracked shoulder... and that was fully geared up!

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a ‘13 RS I bought a couple of months ago, the lady that owned it before must of been tall, with the LaMonster highway pegs she put on she didn’t even use the arch link, the pegs where mounted to the brackets... the cycle came with a tall windshield plus the added extension... my first helmet was a FF Scorpion & I have sense gotten an AGV modular & with temps. here in the upper 80’s I still seem to be getting plenty of air into them with the shield cracked, but we’ll see this summer when it gets up to 100 with 98% humidity???

Spyder Garage

I ride with a Modular Shoei helmet. I like to be able to flip that front up at stops. Keep in the that Modular is not safety rated as a full face helmet. It is equal to 3/4.
    2012 Viper Red RT-S (Sold)
    2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Plasma Red F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

The entire helmet debate always comes down to the reason you are wearing a helmet. If you are wearing it to meet legal requirements. Wear whatever you like. If perceived comfort is primary. Again, wear anything you like. But if safety is the primary reason you are wearing a helmet. Then there is no argument. A full face helmet is the only way to go.

A well fitted full face helmet is extremely comfortable.

Even a casual look at this head chart, developed by compiling years worth of crash data, will give a safety oriented person the information needed to make a decision. When you add it up, choosing a 3/4 helmet leaves you unprotected in the areas where about 45% of injuries occur. Only you can decide if this is an acceptable risk or not.

I was in the fire service for 33 years. I went to a good number of motorcycle accidents. And I watched training videos and talked to others in the emergency service business on this subject. I wear a full face helmet.

HelmetImpactChart.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-14-2020 at 08:16 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...