Spyder Garage

Default Are Calsci windshields shaped to the ST's contours?

Does anybody have one of the Calsci windshields on their ST's. Trying to find out if it is shaped to the bikes contours or not. The website shows a definite cutoff at the bottom of the screen and I haven't got an answer from them yet.
    SpyderSTWe.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-11-2020 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Title clarification

Spyder Garage

I have the tinted one on mine.....It is much quieter that the stock....Plus it is a tad taller n keeps more wind n bugs off of me. My first one cracked......They sent me a new one NP. I think it needs to be a bit thicker.BUT Overall I love it.

Spyder Garage

The tinted shorty seems like it has the right shape but the other ones are cut wrong at the bottom. As evident from the pics on there website but I can't get an answer from anybody on if that is how they look now. It is hard to imagine that they are able to sell them the way they are pictured. I've sent emails and tried calling them but there is no answer. They may have gone belly up.

Spyder Garage

As you surmised, the CalSci is cut off square at the bottom. It does not follow the contour of the fairing.
    The edges also light up at night, you may or may not like that.
    I sometimes use one during the winter up here in the mountains, back to the stock one with the warm.
    Depending on the size you order, it's a barn door going down the road.
    The CalSci is pictured on my avatar.
    2015 STS SE5 * Bajaron sway bar and end links * M2 Shocks
    * PPA Wheels * Centramatic balancers
    *HMF Exhaust * CalSci Windshield
    2015 STS , Bajaron Black/White/Red

Spyder Garage

They just called me so I suppose they are still up and running. He thinks the shorty will be good for me but I don't know what the sound difference will be between the larger windshield and the shorty. Anything is better than the stock windshield though. Lights up, lol. I suppose it would being that it is flat cut plexi...oh well.

Spyder Garage

If it helps, I have the CalSci tinted shorty on the RT - the only windshield I use now all year round. I much prefer it over the stock RT shield. I find there there is less buffeting because of a cleaner air flow and about the same noise as stock. Other riders experience may vary of course.

Spyder Garage

I see a lot of aftermarket windshield manufacturers offer a windscreen for the RS model. Will these fit ST-S models?
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

I have no idea of what the RS was like. I have yet to see one in real life. I feel like my ST-S is a dinosaur because I am the only person that I know with one. Everybody is all RT or F3. As far as the CalSci windshield goes it went on without a hitch. The owner custom cut one out of clear for me so I could see. The tinted shorty looked nice but there is no way I would be able to see at night. Both noise and wind have been reduced drastically.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I see a lot of aftermarket windshield manufacturers offer a windscreen for the RS model. Will these fit ST-S models?
    Nope! The ST's have a windshield that mounts on brackets; the RS's & RSS's have windshields that are effectively integrated into the lines of the body-work & AFAIK are not movable or adjustable in any way. Sorry.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

That answers that. They are not the same windshield at all, thanks Peter.

Spyder Garage

I was going to ask about the benefits of the CalSci windscreens ... I keep the stock one on my ST-S in the second-from-lowest setting most of the time. This produces the cleanest flow of air. I would tolerate less air if it means a quieter ride ... I do not get buffeting with the stock screen, but do get lots of wind noise. I wish MadStad made a windscreen for the ST-S.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan