Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Aftermarket fender lights/turn signals

I just installed a set of TricLED fender lights/turn signals. (I removed the fenders to install. Not sure I'd go that route again.) I've got the lights on (what a difference) but I'm having some issues running the wire to the turn signals. If I route the little yellow wire along the A arm (so it's hidden as it should be), it doesn't reach the turn signal wires (to the mirror). It just doesn't. No way. It's about 6" short of being long enough although it would be better if the wire was another foot longer. I've watched every YouTube video I can find (there aren't many) and don't see how the wire is supposed to be run.

I put the bike back together as I don't have a garage/carport and it was getting dark but I'd like to pick this up later this week and complete the job (although I'm not enthused about having to remove all that tupperware again). Some suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, while tugging on one of the LITTLE yellow wires, I broke it. Pulled it apart close to the wheel so I'll have to add wire to that anyway.

TIA

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

Monk...
    I installed the TricLEDs on my ST-S back in March. I took off several side panels and mirrors, and fished a fairly sturdy wire thru the mirror openings down to an opening somewhere behind and below the frunk. I taped the yellow wire to the 'fishing line' and pulled it thru and then connected to the fender lights. Once I was certain everything was working, I zip-tied the yellow wire in a few spots including the A-arms, making sure to leave some slack for turning. I had about a foot or more left over on each side.
    It's pretty thin gauge, so yeah, it does break easily!
    Good luck,
    Rap

P.s. PM me if you want to ask questions, but maybe easier to contact Reggie at TricLED...he was super-helpful to me!!!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

When I did mine I replaced both the side & rear facing reflectors with light/turn signals.
    I cut both of the wires from the lights and joined them to a single set of wires and ran them to the mirror keeping the paired connection under top reflector cap.
    Soldered it & put some heat shrink over the connection.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I had enough wire when I put them on. They are bright and eye catching with the sequential motion. I also fished a heavy wire down and pulled up the small signal wire. Removing the wheel is the easiest way IMHO.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    I had enough wire when I put them on. They are bright and eye catching with the sequential motion. I also fished a heavy wire down and pulled up the small signal wire. Removing the wheel is the easiest way IMHO.

Lew L
    Mine are the 1st gen so they're not sequential. They'll just flash (once I get them wired up). Depending on the weather, I might get a small folding gazebo and work on them this weekend. (The gazebo would cover whatever part of the bike I'm working on when it rains. Kinda sux not having a carport or garage.)

Spyder Garage

I too installed sequential front fender lights, mine had plenty of wire. I find it ironic that the manufacturer makes the main tie in down by the suspension waterproof with an AMP 1.5 Superseal, but everything else either isn't waterproof or either actually substandard (the T-Tap). I cut the turn signal wires, soldered in some single pin AMP Superseal connectors, and sealed/heat shrunk them in place. I will not use a T-Tap on anything. I've seen too many of them fail over time. I wish they had made all the connections water proof, seems like it wouldn't have cost that much more to do it.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I cut the turn signal wires, soldered in some single pin AMP Superseal connectors, and sealed/heat shrunk them in place
    Please explain, sir. Preferably w/pics. I can't solder but I thought about making a new harness/bridge to add between the existing turn signal wires and the mirror. Not sure what parts to get, though. Looked like something I could do w/o soldering. Please tell me how wrong I am.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Please explain, sir. Preferably w/pics. I can't solder but I thought about making a new harness/bridge to add between the existing turn signal wires and the mirror. Not sure what parts to get, though. Looked like something I could do w/o soldering. Please tell me how wrong I am.
    You could make a harness with the OEM style waterproof connectors (which I have seen referenced as AMP Superseal 1.5). That's the ones you disconnect to remove the mirrors. But then you'd have to make the harness long enough to reach outside to the mirror, and I didn't fancy having all the extra harness behind the headlight bucket. My case may be a little different than yours, I had the Frunk off along with all the headlight buckets and such as I was doing a complete lighting upgrade, so running my wiring may have been much easier than otherwise. In this case, the hot side of the turn signal was wide open in the headlight bucket, so I could get to it and really make a good job of it. But anything is better than the little T connector that is supplied.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    don't have to cut...……… I found "T-taps" really good for tapping onto wiresCapture.jpg
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Capture1.jpg

here is example of connector that has solder right in itself. different sizes, push wires in each side, heat with torch or heat gun, melts solder, and seals up to with special sealant
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

if it ain't soldered and heat shrinked, it's temporary!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    Capture1.jpg

here is example of connector that has solder right in itself. different sizes, push wires in each side, heat with torch or heat gun, melts solder, and seals up to with special sealant
    used before on different bike , np connected well & couple years or so later was changing to something else. Removal was fairly easy too, simply use a straight edge razor remove insulation at joint & heat the solder while pulling wires apart. Wire comes out tinned at exposed end. Handy when making second connection. Have also tried the T taps mentioned earlier & quite useful when not splicing but adding. Advise finding some that have double “teeth” for better connections without making wire too weak. The spade end helps greatly if you accidentally ran tap wire through non optimal route. *note* the limited space to work with in the mirror housing did bind & break wire on one mirror from my gen 1 lights installed by Tricled (broke where the mirror meets the body)
    Last edited by Bfromla; 05-12-2020 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Note

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack