Spyder Garage

Default 2020 Spyder RT Limited Bluetooth Helmet Questions

Hi, I just purchased a new 2020 Spyder RT Limited, and added dual Sena MH-5 Bluetooth headsets to my helmets for myself and my passengers. I have them connected and working, but my question is, do the Sena units connect again automatically after engine shut down, when you restart the engine? You shouldn't have to put the Sena units into pairing mode each time, should you? Thanks in advance, photos to come.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't have a 2020 nor do I have that particular model of SENA but they should re-pair every time you fire up the bike. Pairing with the bike is no different than pairing something to you phone.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, you're correct, the Sena manual specifies that. What I have discovered is that my iPhone and the Sena headsets are "fighting for attention " from the Spyder's bluetooth connections; I put my iPhone into airplane mode, and the Sena synched up. I know the Spyder RT Limited has bluetooth connections for both, but it seems to cause connection problems with the iPhone not on airplane mode when I power up the Sena units.

Spyder Garage

I have two SENA headsets one for me, and one for whoever happens to be my passenger both paired to my 2020 RTL with the BRP Connect.
    First, make sure you have the latest version of BRP Connect. If you just picked up the Spyder, the dealer should have updated all the firmware. The latest version is 30.7
    They should re-pair automatically, but I've found that if you use two identical headsets for both passenger and rider, sometimes one or the other won't re-pair automatically.
    The default name of the headset is "SENA MODEL" "FIRMWARE VERSION". In my case both headsets were named SENA 20S 2.0.1, and there was a little confusion.
    I've since renamed my headsets.
    Mine is named "Steven" and the passenger headset is named "Your Name Here".
    Also, I make sure that the bike is on, my phone is on, my GPS is on. After they all pair up, I turn my headset on and then my passenger's headset.
    These names now show up during the pairing sequence, as easily identified units.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I have two SENA headsets one for me, and one for whoever happens to be my passenger both paired to my 2020 RTL with the BRP Connect.
    First, make sure you have the latest version of BRP Connect. If you just picked up the Spyder, the dealer should have updated all the firmware. The latest version is 30.7
    They should re-pair automatically, but I've found that if you use two identical headsets for both passenger and rider, sometimes one or the other won't re-pair automatically.
    The default name of the headset is "SENA MODEL" "FIRMWARE VERSION". In my case both headsets were named SENA 20S 2.0.1, and there was a little confusion.
    I've since renamed my headsets.
    Mine is named "Steven" and the passenger headset is named "Your Name Here".
    Also, I make sure that the bike is on, my phone is on, my GPS is on. After they all pair up, I turn my headset on and then my passenger's headset.
    These names now show up during the pairing sequence, as easily identified units.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    Thanks! How did you rename the Sena units? Via computer? Please advise, thanks.

Spyder Garage

I used the Sena Utility App on my Smartphone.

Connect your first unit to the SENA Untility App by bluetooth.
    You'll get this screen:
    Screenshot_20200510-125935_Sena Utility.jpg
    Click on the three lines in the upper left of the screen. You'll get this screen:
    Screenshot_20200510-125954_Sena Utility.jpg
    Choose "Pairing List" and you'll get this screen:
    Screenshot_20200510-130116_Sena Utility.jpg
    From this screen, you can rename the unit (top line). You can also delete past pairings. If you've had your headsets awhile, you'll find the list gets cluttered with old pairings.
    You can also set the priority of which unit gets connected first, so if you ride with your wife and/or girlfriend (smile) or another rider with a bluetooth headset, you can re-order the pairing. This means you get to choose who gets one tap, two taps, etc. of the jog button to connect.
    When you're done, do the same with the second unit. You may have to re-pair the two units with the new names for the intercom.
    You can also set up the group pairing, but I haven't done that yet. And I don't think the SM5 has group pairing anyway.
    Once you've done this, then go to the Spyder and re-pair the headsets, this time using the given names pairing the driver and then the passenger headset.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

OOPS CORRECTION. Make sure both headsets are on first, then turn the bike on.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

I cannot get the Sena utility to connect to the Sena unit, even though I downloaded the latest firmware. Buggy app!

Spyder Garage

Update: If I can get the app to work, changing the device's name wiill solve the problem , fingers crossed on that!

Spyder Garage

Update: Returned the Sena units, and purchased Cardo freecom 2+ Duo. Better sound, an app that works, and better ergonomics in my opinion. ��