Spyder Garage

Default Ryker - longer shocks for the front

some Ryders use the longer 15,74" shocks to bring up the front (2 inch ?) - I would prefer that for my area here ..

what do you think - did someone testet it ??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Univer...EAAOSwbBxejCtt
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    some Ryders use the longer 15,74" shocks to bring up the front (2 inch ?) - I would prefer that for my area here ..

what do you think - did someone testet it ??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Univer...EAAOSwbBxejCtt
    Chris, it should increase the front ground clearance .... however what those shocks do for / to the ride is Unknown .... Is the internal damping and spring rate the same ???? ... if not you may be very unhappy with the result ....... Years back I designed front shock brackets that bolted-on ( pics in my albums ) for my GS & RSS, and then for the new RT & F-3 frames .... I wanted to increase the ride control of the front shocks and achieved this by moving the Shocks to a more vertical position and this allowed the shocks to provide a Firmer but not harsher ride .... I made the brackets so the ground clearance ONLY increased 4mm .... But I could have either raised it or even lowered it. I have examined the frame of the Ryker and My Brackets could be modified to do the same .... however I don't have a Ryker so I can design them to fit ... I gave a set to my friend Gene " Chupaca " and He thought they worked really great, they improved the handling & stability but didn't change the comfort level of the front end .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

my problem is .. I do not want a stiffer front, I have the Fox-Shock on the back in the hardest (2up) position and this is now not really comfortable .. if you make a harder brake with the original shocks on the front, the Ryker goes down to only 2inch over the floor, so I think it would be better to lift her up a little, instead of buying only "harder" shocks..
    (in the moment I change my red BRP sway-bar to the one of Bajaron)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8PQqLOFB3I&t=16s
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

my problem is .. I do not want a stiffer front, I have the Fox-Shock on the back in the hardest (2up) position and this is now not really comfortable .. if you make a harder brake with the original shocks on the front, the Ryker goes down to only 2inch over the floor, so I think it would be better to lift her up a little, instead of buying only "harder" shocks..
    (in the moment I change my red BRP sway-bar to the one of Bajaron)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8PQqLOFB3I&t=16s
    " stiffer" isn't necessarily a good thing ..... My Brackets Didn't cause that .... the original OEM shocks with OEM springs just performed better .... ask Gene - "chupaca " what He thought, you don't have to take my word for it ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Following this with great interest
    I would also like to have one or two inches more ground clearance when driving on gravel roads.

Spyder Garage

(in the moment I change my red BRP sway-bar to the one of Bajaron)....
    You might want to be very careful in raising the front &/or reducing that spring/shock compression under heavy braking - the OE ride height teamed with the compression is very much involved in getting the weight & braking forces to transfer onto the front wheels and help your Ryker stop as well as it does!! If you stop that happening or change it to any real extent, there's a good chance you could end up with significantly LESS braking ability!!

Ps: BK's revised top spring mount brackets stand the front struts up a bit more & reduce the angle the front shock/springs work at, increasing their ability tyo do their job; doing that 'stand up straighter' thing without changing anything else like shock length or spring rate makes the front shocks & springs somewhat more effective at maintaining the OE static ride height under load without lessening the effective weight & braking force transfer during use - and they not only work by themselves to allow the struts to be more effective at reducing body roll & unwanted yaw, they help the sway bar do what it does better too!! Pretty much a win all round!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-11-2020 at 05:16 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

You would need to get the front end aligned with a 2" lift. It would change your center of gravity and that would give you a negative effect on handling. How much is hard to say. Leaving the rear end at the original height will change the frame angle geometry. Again, an unknown effect.

On the face of it, my opinion would be 'bad idea'. But without trying it, who knows. Could work out fine.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...