Spyder Garage

Default 2018 F3L suspension fault?

Recently up graded to Elka stage 2 shocks. Now my wife is getting an intermittent "Suspension fault" message on her 2018 F3L.

We cannot get an appointment for a couple of weeks (shops around us are swamped). Is there anything I should be looking at? I have read where the 2018 F3 Limited has an automatic suspension leveling system and I cannot find anything to check manually?

Thanks for any help

John
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-10-2020 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Not 1330cc motor related!

Spyder Garage

The signal to activate the rear shock is a negative from dashboard. So if you have a problem and the wire do ground permanently the motor will rest out of service and the message could be cause the processor cant inflate the shock. Sorry by my english but today I have not aid from translator. :-(
    I had that problem and was reported to Brp from Spain. I could try ro retrieve the video with the problem from my dealer but I don't know I he has it yet.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Not an F3 Rider, but I think I read that the F3 Limited has self leveling rear suspension. If so, my RT Limited had the same problem when I made my rear shock adjustable. Simply put, the ride height computer keeps the air bag inflated to a certain narrow range of heights in the middle of the adjustment range. If it goes out of this range for any amount of time it throws a suspension fault code. I suspect it is the ride height too high because if it was too low the air bag will take up the slack. This is pure speculation on my part, but it happened to me. Mine threw a code unless it was within about 3/8" of the original ride height. Luckily for you the new shock will have a pre-load adjuster that can set the ride height correctly. You can verify if yours has the self leveling suspension by looking for a linkage connected to the swing arm, about halfway up on the drive side. At least that's where it is on the RTL.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Yes, F3 has self leveling rear suspension. I think original rear shock has not adjustements. There are a lot of parts involved. DPS, level sensor, air pump, helicoidal shock, solenoid valve and a rubber air bag. DPS has the level max & min saved into the software. When level sensor says level is lower to min, pump inflates the rubber bag depending weigth and other facts and it maintains the shock pressure.
    Is just a little crazy but only start working when all steps in point 1 on the pic are OK.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

my wifes F3L does have a self leveling rear suspension. The dealer finally replaced the compressor but the fault light came on again about the 25 mile range. Do you know where I can find what the ride height should be for her bike and how to measure it?

Thank you
    John