Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT Panel removal

So it all started when I got the GPS Harness for my 2020 RTL, and the instructions said to remove the side panels per the service manual. Well I have the service manual, and the side panel removal instructions are not there. Through trial and error, I figured it out. For any side panel removal you must start with the front service panel here: service panel.jpg

You need to squeeze the sides inward and then just give the front middle area a sharp tug, and this panel will pop out.

For either side panel, you must then pull out the side service access panel by simply tugging outward, they are only held on by clips, no screws. These are the black side panels. Open the drivers' seat and you will see where to pull.

To continue further, you must now remove the body colored panel at the lower aft sidewall. These panels are only held on by clips, no screws. Just get your fingers under part of it and pull outward.
    right side lower body panel.jpg rt side lower body panel aft.jpg The most important thing here, is that the panel needs to be swung outwards from the rear. There are two hooks that engage forward. Body panel hooks.jpg
    You will have to pivot the rear of this panel outward BEFORE these hooks will release, then the whole panel comes out.

Now you need to remove the forward body side panel. This involves removing 3 push pins from the frunk area, Front panel push pins.jpg
    3 screws from the body panel, and then numerous clips. The strange part is that the front piece that hangs down by the radiators must be slotted out from between the black plastic parts. Before you try to remove this panel, you must first push inwards at the shock strut area to disengage two clips from the body panel. Front panel lower attach.jpg
    After that, you have to pull outwards from the upper areas around the center console, side panel at console.jpg and the rest of the upper area near the mirrors. These are just clips, no screws. This leaves you with the entire side opened up. right side.jpg
    I found it is MUCH easier to access the center console area now than on the earlier model. I added a switch to the blank area of the console to control options. But thats another write-up! By the way, like many others here, the wiring for the GPS harness was incorrectly pinned on my bike. The right side "customer accessory connection" was wired backwards. After spending a couple of hours trying to unpin and redo the wiring, I gave up and cut and spliced the connector properly.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-09-2020 at 08:58 AM. Reason: This IS a 'How to do it DYI' thread! ;-)
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Please post a picture of the added switch and where you got it from. Also, once you take the side panels off a couple of more times, it's much easier. Wait till you take the back panels off!

Thanks.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Here's the switch in place. The middle position is "off" like the grip and seat heat switches. The rearward position is "on", and the forward position is "momentary". I use the "on" position to power my Sirius radio, and the "momentary" position for my homemade garage door opener. (I use a Homelink opener from a junkyard car! It's easy to make.) I've wired it so that the red led light is only on when the switch is in the on position. I picked up switched power from the front accessory power wires that were very well hidden near the battery. If you want this setup to be powered all the time, you just move the fuse from the F6 position to the F7 position in the right fuse box.

https://www.carlingtech.com/rocker-switches-l-series

switch.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am so waiting for a You Tube tutorial for panel removal. My first Spyder and is all foreign to me. I can easily see me breaking something that cost a fist full of $.

Spyder Garage

Great post! Thanks

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    I am so waiting for a You Tube tutorial for panel removal. My first Spyder and is all foreign to me. I can easily see me breaking something that cost a fist full of $.
    My 2020 is my third Spyder. I'm still queasy about removing a panel. No one I ride with has a Spyder. Hell, since I moved down here I have no one period. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Great post. Thanks!

Question:

Did you by any chance measure the cut-out opening?

I'm planning on putting a USB charging port into the blank, but haven't popped anything off yet. I'm still researching and have kind of back burnered it for other projects at the moment.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Great post. Thanks!

Question:

Did you by any chance measure the cut-out opening?

I'm planning on putting a USB charging port into the blank, but haven't popped anything off yet. I'm still researching and have kind of back burnered it for other projects at the moment.
    L-Series rocker switch fits into industry standard mounting holes of 44.0mm x 22.0mm, which is 1.734" x .867".

Spyder Garage

Awesome post! Thanks for sciencing This out. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Hey Jetfixer, the switch looks great. Do you mind posting some pics and information of the Sirius radio you installed. I have been thinking of adding one.
    Bob H - Derry, NH
    2020 Spyder RT Limited - Petrol Metallic Blue
    2010 RT622 Trailer and BRP Hitch
    BRP Vented Touring Windshield, BRP Backrest
    Garmin 590 with BRP Mount
    Fobo TPMS for Spyder and Trailer
    Lidlox, Blue Sea Fuse Box for power distribution
    Ram Ball Mounts for Radar Detector, Cup Holder and Phone Holder
    Sena 20S / SL2 Headsets, Foam Grip Covers, Belt Tensioner
    BAJA Ron Sway Bar and Shock Adjusters, Heli Bars

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by upsdoctor View Post
    Hey Jetfixer, the switch looks great. Do you mind posting some pics and information of the Sirius radio you installed. I have been thinking of adding one.
    Here's some photos of my Sirius install on the 2020 RTL. This is an Onyx Plus radio with the vehicle kit. It retails now for $49. I'm using an older cone antenna that I previously used with an older Streamer GT radio. The antenna that comes with the kit needs to be mounted on too big of a piece of steel for a Spyder. (it's what's known as a "ground plane antenna". Without the steel, like a car roof, it just won't receive very well. The cone antenna is a "non-ground plane" antenna. The radio and antenna are mounted to a Lamonster Garage upper cuff. This is a great product from our site sponsor. I also added a very cheap ($5) rain cover. You can find it online. I'm using a Ram Ball connector to attach it all. I'm using the audio out connection to the aux input in the front glove box. Still waiting on a connector before I activate this radio, but other than that, it's ready to go.

onyx install.jpg

antenna.jpg

raincase.jpg

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. The install looks great.
    Bob H - Derry, NH
    2020 Spyder RT Limited - Petrol Metallic Blue
    2010 RT622 Trailer and BRP Hitch
    BRP Vented Touring Windshield, BRP Backrest
    Garmin 590 with BRP Mount
    Fobo TPMS for Spyder and Trailer
    Lidlox, Blue Sea Fuse Box for power distribution
    Ram Ball Mounts for Radar Detector, Cup Holder and Phone Holder
    Sena 20S / SL2 Headsets, Foam Grip Covers, Belt Tensioner
    BAJA Ron Sway Bar and Shock Adjusters, Heli Bars

Spyder Garage

Lamont from Lamonster Garage posted the 2020 RTL right side GPS accessory plug and a terminal block he added on his FB page. See photos. I also took one of your pics and circled where the dummy plug was in case others needed the info. I am not going to tackle the panels until I am confident I know how to wire my new Zumo XT to this plug. I am a newbie and new to wiring. Can you explain or show a pic of how you wired your GPS unit?

3CA5D175-60C2-42CF-94CB-0EFDCECC5E78.jpeg 28A33494-16A3-405F-84AD-D4296A442678.jpg C2567227-42DD-4204-B8C0-6B5242F75DAE.jpeg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2023 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Here's the switch in place. The middle position is "off" like the grip and seat heat switches. The rearward position is "on", and the forward position is "momentary". I use the "on" position to power my Sirius radio, and the "momentary" position for my homemade garage door opener. (I use a Homelink opener from a junkyard car! It's easy to make.) I've wired it so that the red led light is only on when the switch is in the on position. I picked up switched power from the front accessory power wires that were very well hidden near the battery. If you want this setup to be powered all the time, you just move the fuse from the F6 position to the F7 position in the right fuse box.

https://www.carlingtech.com/rocker-switches-l-series

switch.jpg
    Can you provide any pics or a detailed description on how to get to the "customer accessory wires"?
    Thanks, Rick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stebrock View Post
    Can you provide any pics or a detailed description on how to get to the "customer accessory wires"?
    Thanks, Rick
    Rick the post right above yours shows the wiring. All you have to do is open the drivers seat and pull out the right side service panel. (The black side panel.) The accessory circuit is shown in the middle photo above. It's probably wired backwards, though. For some reason they are coming from the factory with the polarity reversed as it relates to the GPS harness plug. If you just want the power for something else, you "could" cut off the plug and use the wires. The black one is ground. If you want the accessory circuit from the left side, open the front trunk, unzip the liner, then remove the battery cover. If you feel around between the left side at the top of the battery between the battery and the rubber plug that goes into the front trunk area, you should find the two wires. They are not in a plug like the right side circuit, and they have "bayonet" style ends on them already. Mine were tucked up into what felt like a conduit. When you find them, you should have about 2-3 inches of wire to deal with. Again, black is ground. If you get stuck, let me know and I'll try to get a photo of them.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info/details.

Spyder Garage

So it all started when I got the GPS Harness for my 2020 RTL, and the instructions said to remove the side panels per the service manual. Well I have the service manual, and the side panel removal instructions are not there. Through trial and error, I figured it out. For any side panel removal you must start with the front service panel here
    Thanks so much. This was EXTREMELY helpful.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Hey, Jetfixer, I just wanted to say thanks for doing what BRP failed to do -- explaining how to take the panels off of a 2020 RT. I was trying to install a belt pulley this afternoon and got stuck at the main side panel. After reading your post, I was able to get it off, install the belt pulley, and get the panels back on. Maybe tomorrow I'll figure out where that extra body panel pin goes. Or maybe not.
    USN SCPO (ret.) with a fondness for Red-tailed hawks
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT Limited (Redtail III)
    Previous rides:
    2014 BMW F700GS (Redtail II)
    2013 BMW K1200RS
    2010 Yamaha V-Star 1300T (Redtail I)
    2008 Suzuki Boulevard C50
    2020 Limited , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by giantjas View Post
    Lamont from Lamonster Garage posted the 2020 RTL right side GPS accessory plug and a terminal block he added on his FB page. See photos. I also took one of your pics and circled where the dummy plug was in case others needed the info. I am not going to tackle the panels until I am confident I know how to wire my new Zumo XT to this plug. I am a newbie and new to wiring. Can you explain or show a pic of how you wired your GPS unit?

3CA5D175-60C2-42CF-94CB-0EFDCECC5E78.jpeg 28A33494-16A3-405F-84AD-D4296A442678.jpg C2567227-42DD-4204-B8C0-6B5242F75DAE.jpeg

I used what I learned from Jetfixer here and the Garmin Zumo GPS wiring from Lamonster to make this video.https://youtu.be/YGLGiz7Ho9g You may have to pause occasionally to study various pieces. I am NOT an expert, but I am learning from them.

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2023 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-) Video expired tho! :-(
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

WingmanRT

I just bought a 2021 RTL a few weeks ago. All this was extremely helpful for the install of my Garmin 398 and my 5v power plug connected to my QuadLock phone holder. I used those wago connectors from the gps connector on the right side, and just extended the power line using a 2 plug wago so I wouldn’t have to remove the huge panels anymore. I put a 5 plug wago connector in the area where you only need to remove that small black can-am panel to access the power. Similar to the left side customer access plug. Thank you everyone for the help
    0D533AFE-04B6-4C1E-A49C-C28455844DB3.jpg 09C2E4E7-716A-459A-970D-ACC44C13D2C8.jpg A24D6E62-F1B5-4FB7-878B-43180814E48A.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2023 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)
    2021 RT Limited , Fast Red

Spyder Garage

Found video too fast. Didn't help me to wire in my garmin.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2023 at 03:00 AM. Reason: !

Spyder Garage

Default GPS Power Cord

So it all started when I got the GPS Harness for my 2020 RTL, and the instructions said to remove the side panels per the service manual. Well I have the service manual, and the side panel removal instructions are not there. Through trial and error, I figured it out. For any side panel removal you must start with the front service panel here: service panel.jpg

You need to squeeze the sides inward and then just give the front middle area a sharp tug, and this panel will pop out.

For either side panel, you must then pull out the side service access panel by simply tugging outward, they are only held on by clips, no screws. These are the black side panels. Open the drivers' seat and you will see where to pull.

To continue further, you must now remove the body colored panel at the lower aft sidewall. These panels are only held on by clips, no screws. Just get your fingers under part of it and pull outward.
    right side lower body panel.jpg rt side lower body panel aft.jpg The most important thing here, is that the panel needs to be swung outwards from the rear. There are two hooks that engage forward. Body panel hooks.jpg
    You will have to pivot the rear of this panel outward BEFORE these hooks will release, then the whole panel comes out.

Now you need to remove the forward body side panel. This involves removing 3 push pins from the frunk area, Front panel push pins.jpg
    3 screws from the body panel, and then numerous clips. The strange part is that the front piece that hangs down by the radiators must be slotted out from between the black plastic parts. Before you try to remove this panel, you must first push inwards at the shock strut area to disengage two clips from the body panel. Front panel lower attach.jpg
    After that, you have to pull outwards from the upper areas around the center console, side panel at console.jpg and the rest of the upper area near the mirrors. These are just clips, no screws. This leaves you with the entire side opened up. right side.jpg
    I found it is MUCH easier to access the center console area now than on the earlier model. I added a switch to the blank area of the console to control options. But thats another write-up! By the way, like many others here, the wiring for the GPS harness was incorrectly pinned on my bike. The right side "customer accessory connection" was wired backwards. After spending a couple of hours trying to unpin and redo the wiring, I gave up and cut and spliced the connector properly.
    Do you just swap the two wires on the GPS power cord?

Spyder Garage

I am going to be installing a ISCI hand brake on a 2021 rt.
    How does the large panel that’s about 4’ long come off ?
    Doesn’t that panel cover the foot brake mechanism?