Spyder Garage

Default How do we register a New Can Am Spyder?

I guess the Temp. Tag from the other state is going to have to do until NYSDMV opens back up? Can’t register online.

Spyder Garage

Have you checked with like the NY State Troopers? I'm sure they at least were given guidance on how to deal with that situation when they run into it on the highway.....Maybe they could provide you with some options.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I was told yesterday from a reliable ny dmv person, that they are now doing that sort of transaction via mail in. Check the My dmv website https://dmv.ny.gov/mydmv/mydmv
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I know in NV if you buy in another state they have to physically check the VIN so you wouldn’t be able to register online. But I also doubt that police would pull you over. CA does not require a temporary tag so it is quite common to see vehicles with no tags in NV.

I’d make a copy of my purchase agreement and insurance and ride!

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hopefully you will be as lucky as we were.

Bought the Spyder in Michigan just before the lockdown, had to leave it there while financial arrangements were being made. After waiting a few weeks, we decided to go get it. In the interim, we found that any vehicle dealer could do the out of state VIN inspection. Also found that although all the Motor Vehicle License Bureaus in the state were shut down (except for 5), the Title Office was open. We were able to take the VIN report and get a title. While we were getting the title, we found that the drive-up window in the License Bureau next door was open. A drive-up at the License Bureau? Yep.

All together, the process took less than two hours, and was done face-to-face and in-person.

Spyder Garage

There are some things you just can't do online or in the mail ... peroid. They are saying sorry out of luck. I'm in the same situation, after the temp tag expired I just put my exisitng plate on (assuming you have one) Insurance is the most imporant thing!!! If you don't have a plate to transfer I would just ride with the temp plate. The cops all know the situation. Up to you! I'm riding!

Spyder Garage

I would not ride without the proper documentation. Here are the minimum penalties for operating an unregistered vehicle in NY:

Penalties for Driving Without Registration
    Can be forced to pay a fine ranging from $40-$300.
    Can incur an $88-$93 surcharge.
    Can face up to 15 days in jail.

FROM the NY DMV web site:

How do I register a vehicle now?

For the health and safety of the public in the wake of this global emergency, certain services are temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

Spyder Garage

I’m not worried about my fellow boys in blue or being pulled over. I’m going to roll with the Temp. Registration. With insurance on the bike. It’s to my understanding most services are suspended and all deadlines for registrations/ inspections have been postponed. I’m just having a hard time believing they haven’t found a way to register a vehicle online yet?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    How do I register a vehicle now?

For the health and safety of the public in the wake of this global emergency, certain services are temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.
    I don't see how they can hold you liable for not complying with a service that's not available. But then again we are talking about New York after all.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I'm in the same boat with my inspection, as my shop isn't open yet. The trooper I spoke to said that traffic stops are a really at a bare minimum due to not wanting to get/spread Coronavirus. Stay within the limit of the law, and you should be all set.
    2018 RT Limited , Champagne

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMB View Post
    There are some things you just can't do online or in the mail ... peroid. They are saying sorry out of luck. I'm in the same situation, after the temp tag expired I just put my exisitng plate on (assuming you have one) Insurance is the most imporant thing!!! If you don't have a plate to transfer I would just ride with the temp plate. The cops all know the situation. Up to you! I'm riding!
    IMHO...I think you'd be better off with the expired Temp tag than moving a plate from another vehicle. Probably easier to explain that, esp if you're carrying the relevant other paperwork, e.g. Insurance and maybe proof of purchase, than to explain the plate belonging to another bike.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I'm in the same position, having just bought our new to us Spyder. In Nevada, they have extended all expired DMV documents for a period of 90 days after the expiration date. There is even a letter you can download from the DMV's website to show a peace officer if need be. I'll be keeping my what will be expired temp tag on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I know in NV if you buy in another state they have to physically check the VIN so you wouldn’t be able to register online.
    I just wanted to clarify... you are correct that you can't register an out of state purchase online, but you don't necessarily have to bring the vehicle to the DMV for a VIN inspection. Only home made trailers are required to be taken to the DMV for inspection (like those "some assembly required" trailers you can buy at Harbor Freight). There is a form on NV's DMV website (form VP 015) that you can download and any Nevada Law Enforcement Officer can verify your out of state VIN for registration purposes. I did this when we bought our toyhauler from a dealer in AZ. I have a good friend who is a LEO for the school district and he did my VIN inspection. I was NOT going to pull a 43' toyhauler through the DMV parking lot!

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)