Spyder Garage

Default 2015 STS-SM5 ... what do I need to know?

Hi there, joined the forum a few weeks ago as a viewer. I currently ride a 2016 full Gold Wing with ABS and navigation, and am looking for a second bike that is different. There is a '15 STS-SM5 for sale nearly with low miles, extended warranty, and priced decently.

What do I need to know?

Spyder Garage

Take a test ride and enjoy.
    Have a dealer check the VIN to make sure all of the updates are complete.
    The ST has a 2 cylinder 998cc V Twin engine that loves to rev high, 5000+ rpm.
    Plenty of power for sporty 1 up touring. Get a decent seat or add a gel seat pad.
    There are plenty of accessories available to keep you busy for several seasons.
    Laser alignment and BaJa Ron sway bar are recommended upgrades.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Thanks! What should I be looking for on a machine that is a 2015 with 2000 miles? Probably not much to look for with such a low mileage bike.

On another note - how easy is it to do maintenance ... oil changes, etc?

Spyder Garage

Well, I ended up buying it. Paid $8800. The bike has two years of BEST left on it. I test rode it and had a blast. Much different style than my Gold Wing. I am looking forward to putting some miles on it!

Spyder Garage

You got a smoking good deal.
    Oil changes are a breeze. Only a couple of side panels on the left side to remove to get to the filter.
    Buy your supplies from BaJa Ron a supplier on this site. Sway bars, Oil, Filters, Spark Plugs, Wires and Brake Pads
    Monitor your oil level as the 998 engine can use oil (totally normal) depending on how high its filled and how hard its ridden.
    I use about 1/2 a Qt between oil changes.
    Maintenance is fairly easy especially if you have worked on the Gold Wing.
    Check the forum for lots of ST information, upgrades and farkles.

Welcome to the site. You are in for many miles of smiles.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    You got a smoking good deal.
    Oil changes are a breeze. Only a couple of side panels on the left side to remove to get to the filter.
    Buy your supplies from BaJa Ron a supplier on this site. Sway bars, Oil, Filters, Spark Plugs, Wires and Brake Pads
    Monitor your oil level as the 998 engine can use oil (totally normal) depending on how high its filled and how hard its ridden.
    I use about 1/2 a Qt between oil changes.
    Maintenance is fairly easy especially if you have worked on the Gold Wing.
    Check the forum for lots of ST information, upgrades and farkles.

Welcome to the site. You are in for many miles of smiles.
    David, thanks. I am looking forward to it. As mentioned, I was more than pleasantly surprised when I rode it. Free-revving and eats up the curves. I expected it to fight me in the curves. I read on this site that this motor likes to rev, which is cool, because if I am going to spend $$ on a second bike in a region of the country that has a 6-7 month riding season, it needs to offer a unique experience. Did I mention what a cool sound it makes to?!?!

One more thing - I own two Ski Doo snowmobiles, and previously owned several more ... the instrument package is shared between the brands ... looks very familiar!

Spyder Garage

Just checked out the service records. Wow. This thing has been pampered. Two oil changes, coolant flushed and filled, spark plugs changed, clutch fluid flushed, air filter replaced, etc, etc. It only has 2,000 miles on it!!!
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

Enjoy plenty miles of smiles ahead. & FARKLES Good idea keep extra quart oil & funnel handy, great engine they unfortunately however do eat lil oil. A also caution to not top off gas tank can seep into evap system & be costly.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Enjoy plenty miles of smiles ahead. & FARKLES Good idea keep extra quart oil & funnel handy, great engine they unfortunately however do eat lil oil. A also caution to not top off gas tank can seep into evap system & be costly.
    Good advice, I read it over on the FAQ thread too. Glad I read about not leaving the windshield in its lowest setting - another thing listed in the service records is that the previous owner had to have the brackets replaced because the windscreen would not stay in its position. What is normal oil consumption on these twins?
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5

Spyder Garage

If you change the oil yourself, It takes 4.1 quarts with a filter. I would only put in 4 quarts. If you keep the oil level to the highest range on he dip stick it tends to leave alittle oil residue in the air intake. This over time can cause your butterfly valves to stick when cold. IF this happens you have to take the air breather off and clean the butterfly valves with throttle body cleaner. I personally love the 998 V-Twin motor. In third gear, the 1330's have a hard time keeping up with it. This of course is my experiance, yours may vary. Enjoy your ride. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Good advice, I read it over on the FAQ thread too. Glad I read about not leaving the windshield in its lowest setting - another thing listed in the service records is that the previous owner had to have the brackets replaced because the windscreen would not stay in its position. What is normal oil consumption on these twins?
    Sorry lat replying, average oil consumption varies a lot depending on riding style; mine laid back & relaxed in NO rush might add 1/2 qt every two months or so. Been having some issues & had a funky leak that definitely had its effects can’t say for sure what other than keeping eye on it & some handy.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...tally-confused
    Last edited by Bfromla; 05-18-2020 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Link

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

The purge valve bypass has been the best thing ive done to mine. It will use oil....How much is normal I am yet to find out. I love mine after 5 years n aprox. 40000 miles. AND....The dess key issues might rear its ugly head. Finally got mine fixed. GOOD LUCK

Spyder Garage

Hi there, joined the forum a few weeks ago as a viewer. I currently ride a 2016 full Gold Wing with ABS and navigation, and am looking for a second bike that is different. There is a '15 STS-SM5 for sale nearly with low miles, extended warranty, and priced decently.

What do I need to know?
    Look for cracks in the tires! 5yrs old with low mileage you may want to replace them.
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Question: How long does it take to get used to revving this motor up to 5000 rpm in each gear? I am struggling. I currently have a Gold Wing, and had an F6B and two Vstars previously. Shifting at 2500 rpm is all that is needed. It seems like to have to wind it out in each gear. How do you just putt putt around at a leisurely pace? Such a busy motor is giving me anxiety!
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5

Spyder Garage

Question: How long does it take to get used to revving this motor up to 5000 rpm in each gear? I am struggling. I currently have a Gold Wing, and had an F6B and two Vstars previously. Shifting at 2500 rpm is all that is needed. It seems like to have to wind it out in each gear. How do you just putt putt around at a leisurely pace? Such a busy motor is giving me anxiety!
    Get used to the sound the engine makes at 5000-5500. Watching the tach move slowly makes it seem longer than it really is. You might be turning the throttle to gradually. It should not take you to long to catch on. You are not going to harm the engine...it is made for high revs.

Around town...leisurely putt putt...that's mostly first or second gear.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Both machines are made by the same #BRP company. Snow machines/mobiles were their original design. So the Spyder is basically a Snowmobile with Wheels!
    I was unde the impression that after 2014 all Spyders had the 1330cc engines. Apparently I am wrong?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer51 View Post
    Both machines are made by the same #BRP company. Snow machines/mobiles were their original design. So the Spyder is basically a Snowmobile with Wheels!
    I was unde the impression that after 2014 all Spyders had the 1330cc engines. Apparently I am wrong?
    I think that was the first year of the 1330, but the 998 remained available. Mine is a '15 with the 998. Good point about the sled engines - I have two Ski Doo four strokes that regularly run 5000-7000 rpm. However, they are quiet, even at those rpms, and I am not changing gears! I am not worried about hurting the engine, I guess I just need to break this decades old mindset about lower rpm + highest gear possible is best for efficiency. This is tough for a habitual short shifter!
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5

Spyder Garage

Not that unusual to find Spyders with VERY LOW miles. Appears to me that many (several) people buy them on impulse and park them in a garage after a few miles. Either because they get sick (medically) or they were not much into motorcycles to start with. I got a 2011 this year with only 3500 miles on it. (Parked for 8 years indoors). Since we got it in February we already put 4000 plus miles on it. No mayor problems. Well I digress there is a long post on the engine problem I experienced on my Spyder but I desided not to repair it since #BRP refused to pay for the repair. Won't bother you with this long saga of the loose screw in the oil pan magnet. I already annoyed a lot of people on this site with my gripes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Get used to the sound the engine makes at 5000-5500. Watching the tach move slowly makes it seem longer than it really is. You might be turning the throttle to gradually. It should not take you to long to catch on. You are not going to harm the engine...it is made for high revs.

Around town...leisurely putt putt...that's mostly first or second gear.
    I am sure that I am twisting the throttle too leisurely most of the time, just allowing the rpms to gradually climb up to 4500, then shift. It does not seem to like that. Getting on the throttle more aggressively and quickly getting up to 40-45 mph, then backing off seems to make it happy. Riding around in 1st or 2nd gear ... killing me!!
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5

Spyder Garage

I think that was the first year of the 1330, but the 998 remained available. Mine is a '15 with the 998. Good point about the sled engines - I have two Ski Doo four strokes that regularly run 5000-7000 rpm. However, they are quiet, even at those rpms, and I am not changing gears! I am not worried about hurting the engine, I guess I just need to break this decades old mindset about lower rpm + highest gear possible is best for efficiency. This is tough for a habitual short shifter!
    The STS models were based on the older RS models and still had the 990 twin cylinder. Not sure of the final year for the twin.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-19-2020 at 06:47 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am sure that I am twisting the throttle too leisurely most of the time, just allowing the rpms to gradually climb up to 4500, then shift. It does not seem to like that. Getting on the throttle more aggressively and quickly getting up to 40-45 mph, then backing off seems to make it happy. Riding around in 1st or 2nd gear ... killing me!!
    I did a hundred miles in first gear on the Hana Highway in Maui HI. Speed limit mostly 25 mph with many stops for one lane bridges.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Could try engaging trailer mode, I adjusts some settings least for the SE5’s. Rest is just adjusting yourself to new sounds will feel like your a gear to low but not shifting till at5k rpm will see GPM improvement in couple of tanks.

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hey VStar, I recently got a ‘13 Rs w/998 eng., it & the ST are the sporty models, sooooooooo fire that thing up & let it fly!!! I don’t shift till it gets to 5500-6000 rpm’s.And though it may sound like it I’m a speed demon , I prefer the back country roads to freeways... very seldom hit 5th... Guess I was lucky, I had never owned a cycle before so I didn’t have to adapt... If U haven’t come across it, look up the thread “Do’s and Don’t” on here, very good reading, @ least it was 4 me... Good riding, enjoy & most of all have fun!!!

Spyder Garage

.....There is a '15 STS-SM5 for sale nearly with low miles, extended warranty, and priced decently.

What do I need to know?
    As jsflash & others have already mentioned, check out this thread:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners

Only try to make sure you clearly identify the bits applicable to the V-Twins, especially when it comes to the revs that you need to make them work the best!!

If you're not wringing your V-Twin out every now & then, & not spending MOST of your engine's running time above 3500 or so RPM, then you are really doing yourself a dis-service & not only aren't you likely doing 'not nice' things to your Spyder's engine, but you also probably aren't getting the best out of your Spyder in any respect!! The V-Twins thrive on REVS!! And if you rev them appropriately, they'll work bloody brilliantly to make your ryding the 'miles of smiles' you see often mentioned here!

Enjoy, and enjoy the Revs!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jsflash View Post
    Hey VStar, I recently got a ‘13 Rs w/998 eng., it & the ST are the sporty models, sooooooooo fire that thing up & let it fly!!! I don’t shift till it gets to 5500-6000 rpm’s.And though it may sound like it I’m a speed demon , I prefer the back country roads to freeways... very seldom hit 5th... Guess I was lucky, I had never owned a cycle before so I didn’t have to adapt... If U haven’t come across it, look up the thread “Do’s and Don’t” on here, very good reading, @ least it was 4 me... Good riding, enjoy & most of all have fun!!!
    I love my V Twin and really wring it out whenever possible. I have the manual SM5 transmission.
    I shift at 5000+ RPM and cruise comfortable at 4500-7000 in the power band.
    Don't be afraid to let the engine spin. It performs best above 5K.
    Cruise in-town in first and second gear.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack