Spyder Garage

Default Broken bolt extraction

hey guys..
    got a HUGE problem...
    was changing the oil filters and one of the bolts broke ......
    see attached for photos
    IMG_7981 2.jpg
    IMG_9285 2.jpg
    IMG_9664 2.jpg

am i screwed??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cenzo989 View Post
    hey guys..
    got a HUGE problem...
    was changing the oil filters and one of the bolts broke

am i screwed??
    Oooo.... you've gotta drill that out and clean up the threads. I'm assuming you're skilled - your success will depend on you drilling dead centre on the broken end. If you miss centre, you'll end up drilling out a part of the alloy crankcase thread. Start by centre punching and if you see you're a little off centre angle the punch and tap it over until you've got the dot centred then tap it square on again to form a good start for the drill. Use a small drill to give you a centre hole then go up in sizes until you're at the limit of touching the alloy. Use a pick to remove the remains of the thread from the alloy and finish off by inserting a tap to clean up any thread damage.

Using a Easyout is an absolute last resort because they are very brittle and by the way they work they tend to expand the part which is already jammed. If you break one off you're left with a hardened steel Easyout tip firmly jammed in the hole you've so carefully drilled!

I can see an alternative... I'm sure with care you could fabricate a piece of steel which would work as a clip/clamp and be held by that top hex screw.

Good luck with it...
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Get a good set of reverse drill bits. If the broken piece does break loose, the reverse drill bit will bring it on out instead of twisting it in tighter. Start with small pilot hole and slowly work up to larger bit sizes. A set of reverse drills are much cheaper than than a machine shop or messing around with helicoils.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

That idea PinkRosePetal had about fabricating a clamp and using the other bolt is a good one. The broken stud is very deep and you have limited space to work in. The filter cap doesn't require any lateral support. All it needs is to be held down so the "O" ring seals.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

thank you guy....ill keep you [posted on what happens.

but i do like the clamp idea !!

Spyder Garage

I think the difficulty of removal in this case is totally dependant on whether it snapped backing it out or best case it snapped going the wrong direction. If it happened removing it in the correct direction that means something is binding the threads together.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    I think the difficulty of removal in this case is totally dependant on whether it snapped backing it out or best case it snapped going the wrong direction. If it happened removing it in the correct direction that means something is binding the threads together.
    EdMat makes a very good point. If you broke the bolt by over-tightening it, the thread will likely be loose and, with a bit on ingenuity, you might get it out fairly easily. If, however, it snapped as you were attempting to unscrew it, it must be seized and you do have a problem.

Good thinking EdMat!
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Get a good set of reverse drill bits. If the broken piece does break loose, the reverse drill bit will bring it on out instead of twisting it in tighter. Start with small pilot hole and slowly work up to larger bit sizes. A set of reverse drills are much cheaper than than a machine shop or messing around with helicoils.
    X2 This is where I would start.

My two cents,
    p.w.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL
    LED head lights, LED fog lights, Lidlocks, Brake light kit, Sway Bar, J&S Jack, Cat Delete, Akrapovic silencer, Idler pulley Kit, Gold Drain Plugs, Magic Mirrors, Bumpskid, Tires, Centermatic balancers, Wick-it Stage 1 tune, Convex mirrors, EBC Brake Pads, EBC brake Rotors, Speed Bleeders, M-2 Custom Shocks, Odyssey Battery, Tinted Windshield, Windshield Arm, Gps Ultimate Seat, Dual air Horns, Modesta BC05 Ceramic Coating, Redline 10w40 motorcycle oil, BRP Passenger arm rest, BRP hitch, Syderpop rock guard 2015 Freedom Trailer

Spyder Garage

It looks like the bolt is on the hydraulic shifter body(Hydraulic housing, part 25). I would put the filter cover back on with the one screw and get a suitable 6 mm bolt that just touches the broken part. Get the bolt drilled thru with a 3 mm drill and use it as a guide to start drilling out the broken part with a reverse drill( Left Hand drill). Another method would be to use a reverse drill and build it up with aluminum tape till it fits not too loosely in the cover hole and use it to center drill on the broken bolt. Wind the tape on the drill so it tightens when you drill.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Could also try this. Drill a little way into it , Get some J-B ClearWeld quick setting epoxy. Use a bolt to fit into the drilled hole with the epoxy on the end. Find a way to hold it in there. Let sit for 24hrs Hard as a rock. Used on my spyder on a stripped bolt work good

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    The freakin moron i am - thought turning it clockwise was to unscrew it..........but then then when i realized it was counterclock wise to loosen screws.... it was to late and it ssnpped

Spyder Garage

Seems though that aluminum would strip before it snapped off

Spyder Garage

Ditto on the EasyOut. I broke a bolt off in my KZ1000 case and then managed to break the drill bit off in the center trying to use an Easy Out. I ended up sending the case to some joker I never heard of who used a "plasma arcer" to burn the whole thing out and filled in the resulting hole with threaded Aluminum. Worked like a champ. Not the way I would go first though.

Spyder Garage

Well you may not be happy with what you did, but how it broke brings some better news. It’s likely the threads are not the problem ie: locktite or corrosion. So I’d go with the reverse drilling (carefully centered). The heat from drilling might loosen any locktite. If it doesn’t come out while drilling Add some heat and go easy with an easyout. Good luck!
    2014 RTS SM6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check the rotation of the ratchet wrench, especially when working on upside down fasteners.
    I had a lot of repair calls because someone turned an upside down bolt the wrong way to loosen it. I charged extra for the stupidity.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Please let us know how it turned out.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    Hehe, good pun!

Spyder Garage

Had to go buy Easy Outs. Good to have In the garage anyway. One bolt on mine was stripped. Just got done we put Heli Coils in. Everything good and tight and ready to go again. Lost 2 litres of oil on a 600 km trip yesterday. Pain in the azz checking the oil every 50 km.
    30 years Over the road truck driver. Now the better half wants to do all the provinces on the Spyder. Maybe when it grows up to a Newer one.
    Copied from a post in Mean People.
    When told "that ain't a motorcycle," I reply, "You're right - it's actually a snowmobile and I ordered the optional tires so I can ride it year round." Shuts 'em up every time!

2012 RSS-SE5
    Avon HD Grips.
    K&N oil transmission and Air filters
    Ultimate Seat With both backrests .Black with Ostrich Red Stripe
    2012 RS S SE5 , Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

hey guys,
    sorry it took so long to reply..... i had to wait for parts from eBay...

I ended up spraying some WD-40 on it... sit for 20 minutes
    then did a center punch in middle of bolt.. or as close as i can to the center
    then bought aa set of LEFT- Handed drill bits
    out some cutting oil on the tip of drill
    put drill in REVERSE
    drilled on the center punch mark.....and bolt came right out

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT GUYS
    you guys rock!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    hey guys,
    sorry it took so long to reply..... i had to wait for parts from eBay...

I ended up spraying some WD-40 on it... sit for 20 minutes
    then did a center punch in middle of bolt.. or as close as i can to the center
    then bought aa set of LEFT- Handed drill bits
    out some cutting oil on the tip of drill
    put drill in REVERSE
    drilled on the center punch mark.....and bolt came right out