Spyder Garage

Default 2019 RT-limited Key Chip

Does anyone know what chip is in the ignition key of the 2019 RT? Is it still the RT5 and the same keyway?

I'd like to clone a hidey key for the bike. Is the zd23rt5 keyblank still compatible with the 2019 key?

Every key thread I could find seems to end with the 2014 or 2015 models.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ClayJ View Post
    Every key thread I could find seems to end with the 2014 or 2015 models.
    That's because we finally gave up on trying to come up with cloning method for the 2014 and later keys. Your best bet, errrr, only bet, is to buy a key blank from a dealer, have it cut by a locksmith, and then hope the dealer will be considerate and program it into the DESS for little or no charge. 2014 and later keys use a rolling code method and no one that I know of has cracked the algorithm that is used by the DESS to say this key is legit.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I lost the spare key to my 2019 RTL. Dealer replaced and coded the key to my Spyder for $42. YMMV.

Spyder Garage

My dealer said $50 to program and I should buy the key online.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ClayJ View Post
    My dealer said $50 to program and I should buy the key online.
    Well, at least he's not charging you for an hour's labor for a ten minute job! He sees easy money from a captive customer. The key will be about $50. He's looking to get his profit margin for the key without having to work for it! On the other hand that might be his minimum charge for any kind of service work so in that respect he's not outrageous. What was his quote for the whole package if you buy the key from him? The only reason I say take it to a locksmith is dealers usually don't have the machine to cut keys. An extra spare key is really a good thing to have, and if there isn't anyone else reasonably close with BUDs then you're stuck. Add your location to your info and maybe someone close to you will pop up who has BUDs.

Is this the dealer you bought the bike from? If so, go schmooze up the salesman. Maybe he'll get a better deal for you from the service department.

I was fortunate. I ordered the key from the dealer and they programmed it into the DESS at no charge.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)