Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Hard wiring a GPS

I’m sure this topic has been discussed numerous times. I did a brief search and didn’t find what I was looking for. After reading my question and if someone remembers this topic on a previous thread please direct me to it.

First I’m riding a 2019 F3L and really wanted to use BRP Connect with Genius Maps. After a whole afternoon working with this I decided to move on and purchased a Garmin 396. I also wanted to just use the Garmin with its own built in battery, no hard wiring. Well this seems to not be the most efficient way to use the GPS so now I guess I should hard wire it to my bike. Due to the electrical sophistication of the Spyders I am very Leary of doing any electrical work.

My question; what would be the easiest/ best method to hard wire the GPS?

I could direct wire it to the battery but what would happen if I forgot to unplug the GPS.

I was hoping there as a “cigarette lighter” socket on the bike somewhere but have not found one.

I could splice a USB plug onto the end of the power wires from the GPS and then plug this into the USB port in the bikes glove box. Or purchase a USB 5v to 12 V lighter socket and make the connection that way.

Any comments would be appreciated.
    Poasttown

Spyder Garage

There is a dedicated power plug for the GPS on the left side. Behind the body panels below the seat. Key switched. When I get chance I will post a picture. If someone else does not do it first.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

See item marked as GPS2
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    There is a dedicated power plug for the GPS on the left side. Behind the body panels below the seat. Key switched. When I get chance I will post a picture. If someone else does not do it first.
    That is what I used for the 595 that I mounted on my wife's 2018 F3L. Just make sure of the polarity when you connect. Easy to do with a multimeter- turn key to on position and connect the black (-) lead from the multimeter to any ground point ( nut/bolt) to the frame, and the red wire to the wire from the gps connection until you get a 12 volt reading. That's the positive (hot) wire. The other will be the ground wire.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

to see MY SPYDER PAGE

Detailed instructions on my page. I think the 2019 wiring is the same under the panel on the non-brake (left) side under the seat. There is also an audio jack there to put the GPS audio out. If yours doesn't have one, I tell you how to add one.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Just be careful. Sometimes (in my case on a 2020) the polarity of the BRP harness doesn't match the polarity of the plug from the GPS. You may need to reverse the polarity to correctly power the GPS.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

If you want peace of mind when your Spyder and GPS are out of sight you might consider contacting Robert Becker about a Kradellock. https://robertbeckerdesign.com/. I leave my Zumo 590 on the Spyder all the time except overnight when on tour.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Let me first thank everyone for their helpful reply’s. I have added electrical accessories to previous bikes but as I stated earlier the spyder seems to be in a higher level of electrical sophistication which raises my level of concern to not cause a problem.

I found the gps accessory plug on the bike with the dummy plug inserted which I can remove to insert the new plug from the gps. The Garmin manual says the red wire on their wiring harness is the power wire. So I just need to determine the positive wire on the bike, which I assume is the red wire, and make the connection.

I do need to attach the correct plug to the gps wires to make the connection. In rattlebars link he referenced A 2pin way 16AWG waterproof connector wire 1.5 mm series terminal connector. I suppose the male portion of this connector is what I need.

I also understand I will not need to place a fuse inline because the bike electrical system has already dealt with this.

Thanks again.
    Poasttown

Spyder Garage

Rattlebars mention the gps audio plug. His 2016 has that, but the 2018 to 2020 F3 does not. The audio system does not have a dedicated gps audio input at all anywhere. Could be wired to the Aux. But then you cannot use any of the other inputs at the same time.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

JayBros:

I looked at the device in your post and think I know how it works, but can you confirm for me just how it keeps someone from taking you GPS.

thanks
    campermac
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Rattlebars mention the gps audio plug. His 2016 has that, but the 2018 to 2020 F3 does not. The audio system does not have a dedicated gps audio input at all anywhere. Could be wired to the Aux. But then you cannot use any of the other inputs at the same time.
    Really stinks, doesn't it ?!?
    BRP can provide a mount for a GPS, and 12V power, but they really don't want you using a stand alone GPS.
    I got a nice system that works, but it's Blue Tooth based so my GPS talks to my headset. But if, for any reason, my headset failed, I'd have to use the GPS without any audible directions.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I just hard wired my Zumo XT on my 2019 F3-S. I removed the left side tupperware cover and left side panel. I popped out the frunk and routed the wire down to the aux/accessory connection near the battery. Easy peasy..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Really stinks, doesn't it ?!?
    BRP can provide a mount for a GPS, and 12V power, but they really don't want you using a stand alone GPS.
    I got a nice system that works, but it's Blue Tooth based so my GPS talks to my headset. But if, for any reason, my headset failed, I'd have to use the GPS without any audible directions.
    Not really an issue for me. Now that I have started using my phone as a GPS. I would never go back to a standalone GPS again. Most of the time my tunes come from my phone to the Spyder by BT anyway. So if I am getting GPS directions. The music will mute and come through whenever the GPS app wants to tell me something. But I understand how nice it would be for a GPS audio input. For those folks that prefer a stand alone GPS.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I just hard wired my Zumo XT on my 2019 F3-S. I removed the left side tupperware cover and left side panel. I popped out the frunk and routed the wire down to the aux/accessory connection near the battery. Easy peasy..
    Only minor issue with using the customer accessory circuit. It is engine switched, not key switched. The GPS power plug is key switched.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    JayBros:

I looked at the device in your post and think I know how it works, but can you confirm for me just how it keeps someone from taking you GPS.

thanks
    campermac
    It clamps down on the top of your GPS holder. You can still press the unlocking tab but the part that lifts can not thus preventing theft. I just bought and installed one a week ago.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Yup. Don't know why but they are getting like Samsung. Recent updates lost the ability to have individual ringtones for messages. That was a while ago. Now you can do it again, but need to jump through hoops. Last update, they killed the different notification for GMail accounts. You once had set it for each gmail account. No longer. Gmail uses the system now like everything else. Before I could assign a different tone for each gmail account and depending which tone I heard, I would know if I had to pull over and look at my mail.

As for the locks.... each of them costs more than my GPS!
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Just wanted to complete the story. I found the gps plug on my 2019 F3L, ordered a Male plug to fit this plug, and then made all the connections. I tested it out today with a ride and and all seems to be working as it should.

Thanks to all who contributed info. It was very helpful.

Poasttown

Spyder Garage

Can you provide that male plug info? Might just order one for future use. Thanks

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I cant get power from the GPS connection by the seat. I looked for the fuse and the owners manual says Right side #4 but that spot is empty. I had power there for my 595LM and just got an XT. The polarity was reversed on the last Zumo. Does anyone know where the fuse might be?
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Troop

In a post by Rattlebars earlier in this thread he references his site. In this site he has a topic “GPS installation” or something similar where he highlites GPS connectors with ordering info. I think they come in a pack of six.

I ordered mine from Value Accessories. Check under their Spyder section for 2, 3, 5 pin waterproof electrical wire connectors. My notes indicate part no. 2PIN-CONN-WTR, but you may want to double check that. I only ordered one connector which come as a pair, male and female. Probably should have ordered more than one just in case but I didn’t.
    Poasttown

Spyder Garage

AY4B
    On my Spyder the GPS connector is tied into the key switch. Also in my instruction for my Gamin 396 is specifically states the red wire is power. Base on others comments and yours I wanted to see it in writing to be sure. Good luck.

Poasttown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Can you provide that male plug info? Might just order one for future use. Thanks
    Here's what I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works GREAT. HOWEVER, the plugs from Amazon are wired OPPOSITE of my bike ('19 F3 LTD). Not a big deal. Just make sure the wires from your Zumo match the wires from the bike!
    Bill W

2019 F3 LTD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Be careful of the polarity of that plug...Power+Ground.
    Just hard wired my GarminXT into the power supply leads under the left inspection cover.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    JayBros:

thanks
    campermac
    Copperman beat me to the punch with exactly the answer I would have given. In the picture taken from the right side of the Spyder you can see the Kradellock lock is down flush on the top of the Zumo cradle. If you push on the release lever it will not move and therefore won't allow the Zumo cradle latch to release.

Kradellock Right.jpg
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I cant get power from the GPS connection by the seat. I looked for the fuse and the owners manual says Right side #4 but that spot is empty. I had power there for my 595LM and just got an XT. The polarity was reversed on the last Zumo. Does anyone know where the fuse might be?
    On a 2016. The gps power plug is power through the radio. If your radio works the gps plug should have power when the key is on. I will assume your 2017 is the same.

2018 F3 LIMITED