Spyder Garage

Default Check Engine Light Bad O2 sensor need help

Recently I got a check engine light, my buddy has a Buds box and the expensive software package he checked and it said "No activity from O2 sensor," so I got a new one, still no joy.
    is it going to be a trip to the shop? or is there any useful information or hits from this fine group?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Spyder Garage

further investigation shows that my rear cylinder is cold, so I checked the plug it looked good so I checked to see if get spark. None, I'm guessing I need a coil pack.

Spyder Garage

What was the error code being logged? A P0130 is the O2 sensor. If you aren't getting fire to a cylinder and the plug looks good then yeah I'm betting a new coil pack is in order. (ps. Not impressed with your buddy's Buds box and software package after reading your post... unless of course both the O2 sensor and the rear cylinder coil were both fried at the same time?)

I just had to replace my O2 sensor after a mere ~18500 miles, I'm surprised it failed after so few miles (the ones in my GMC Truck have over 380K miles on them, for comparison). I bought a used O2 sensor off Ebay and installed it last weekend, several rides now and no more Check Engine light so that fixed that issue. Strangely the engine still runs the same, even when the O2 sensor was toast it still ran fine as far as I could tell.

Keep us updated what you do and what works or doesn't! What you learn and report may help others down the line.

- Michael

Spyder Garage

If you get a service manual for about $20 off of EBay, it tells you how to test the coil pack. Otherwise, they are cheap (like $30) on cheapcycleparts.com. I just replaced a coil pack on my 2008GS. I also found on a friends bike the plug was cracked somehow. One cylinder dead. Be sure to use a tester not look at the plug itself.

Spyder Garage

Walker Products 932-14062 for O2 sensor.
    About 2/3 the price of the OEM CanAm, which appears to be made by Bosch, (at least some of them... could vary).

Spyder Garage

After testing the coil and changing the O2 sensor had to bring it to the shop. ECM replaced runs like a raped Ape.