Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Fender lights installation questions

I bought a used set of 1st gen Tricled fender lights for my '18 RTL (and a new wiring "harness" directly from Tricled). I have a few quick questions, please.

1) I don't have a jack. I watched a video of someone installing Ryker fender lights and they just unbolted the fender. The dealership mechanic said that's how he would install them, too (on my RT). Is there a way to install these withOUT taking a wheel off? I can buy a jack if I have to but I probably won't use it for anything other than this. I don't have a garage/carport so no truely flat surface so stability is also a (minor) concern.

2) If I have to remove a wheel, what's the best jacking point on either side? If possible, I'd rather only get 1 tire off the ground at a time as my parking area is slightly sloped. (My house used to be a small commercial office so instead of a traditional driveway, I have a fairly large concrete parking area. Actually works out pretty nicely, for the most part.)

3) Since these are used, the double sided tape needs to be replaced. I know 3M makes something "automotive" that's made for this but I'm not 100% sure what to search for.

Thanks, all.

Spyder Garage

you need to either take off wheel or take off fender. best to take off fender, then your not trying to work upside down. I have TRICLED lights too. can't remember needing any 3M tape. Mine was rearward facing, replaced the reflector with lighted plus still reflect. maybe you have the thin fender lights on the rib?
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the new style fenders. The lights came with double sided tape but since they were removed from a bike already, the tape had seen better days. I just removed the tape and need to replace it.

Mine has both the long amber lights and the shorter red lights.

How do I remove a fender?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take off the wheel if they still have screws under the fender that need removal. Can you borrow a jack from a neighbor or auto parts store?

Test the lights before installation to make sure they work.

Spyder Garage

Hey Monk, do you have a car??

Don't most cars still have a jack in the trunk or somewhere in there, even if they've only got a space-saver spare?? It shouldn't be too hard to use your car jack to lift a front wheel enough to remove it... Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Don't most cars still have a jack in the trunk or somewhere in there, even if they've only got a space-saver spare??
    My van does not have a spare, space-saver or otherwise.

Not even any place to put one.

But it has a scissor jack.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    you need to either take off wheel or take off fender. best to take off fender, then your not trying to work upside down. I have TRICLED lights too. can't remember needing any 3M tape. Mine was rearward facing, replaced the reflector with lighted plus still reflect. maybe you have the thin fender lights on the rib?
    ... take off the fenders ... it's much easier to do the wiring this way ..... and less likely to put wires where they will get rubbed & damaged .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... take off the fenders ... it's much easier to do the wiring this way ..... and less likely to put wires where they will get rubbed & damaged .... Mike
    I agree remove the fenders. Just be careful removing the bolts, they're installed with locktite and removing them was the hardest part.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    I agree remove the fenders. Just be careful removing the bolts, they're installed with locktite and removing them was the hardest part.
    Is it the same shi**y yellow Loctite crap that BRP buys by the trainload? If so, I'll see if my car has a jack and remove the wheels. Not sure I want to go down that road again.

So, all. What kind of double sided tape do I need and where are some good jacking points, 1 on each side?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Is it the same shi**y yellow Loctite crap that BRP buys by the trainload? If so, I'll see if my car has a jack and remove the wheels. Not sure I want to go down that road again.

So, all. What kind of double sided tape do I need and where are some good jacking points, 1 on each side?
    Yes it is .....However the bolts, will come loose quite easily, because you are using a large socket with a ratchet ..... I suggest you test one and see how that goes ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

3M double sided tape for auto body moulding. Ask at your local auto parts joint. I have used this stuff for many projects on the Spyder and other bikes and cars. It works and works well. The actual tape is black, but the roll will be red with 3M printed on it. The red will peel off to expose the sticky side. I clean the area with regular ole rubbing alcohol to remove and wax or greasy spots. I have never had this tape fail me and I have used it a lot.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take the 3 bolts off the wheels. Look under fender remove the 3 screws and lift off. I thought it was easy..Good Luck!

Spyder Garage

I purchased a jack that goes under the center of the body from Harbor Freight, works great!
    2014 RTS-SE6 , "Harvest Gold" Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    3M double sided tape for auto body moulding. Ask at your local auto parts joint. I have used this stuff for many projects on the Spyder and other bikes and cars. It works and works well. The actual tape is black, but the roll will be red with 3M printed on it. The red will peel off to expose the sticky side. I clean the area with regular ole rubbing alcohol to remove and wax or greasy spots. I have never had this tape fail me and I have used it a lot.
    Exactly this. Don't use standard 2 sided tape or even outdoor rated 2 sided tape. Use only this stuff!

(Standard 2 sided tape is not thermally stable enough and will let go over time or if subjected to desert type heat. DAMHIK)
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    My van does not have a spare, space-saver or otherwise.

Not even any place to put one.

But it has a scissor jack.

That's strange. If it came with the jack, there's got to be a spare somewhere. My wife Honda Odyssey has the spare inside the vehicle, under the floor, between the front and rear seats. You have to remove a section of carpet to get to it. Weird location... I would have never find it until I "opened" the manual. Ha, ha.
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
    That's strange. If it came with the jack, there's got to be a spare somewhere. My wife Honda Odyssey has the spare inside the vehicle, under the floor, between the front and rear seats. You have to remove a section of carpet to get to it. Weird location... I would have never find it until I "opened" the manual. Ha, ha.
    Well I have a Toyota Sienna 4 wd van and No Spare tire ..... it comes equipped with Run Flat tires tho .....I do have a full sizes spare that I will take if I'm going on a trip ...... Mike